Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught something strange on camera last night...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Caught something strange on camera last night...

I was photographing the sky late last night, as you do. I got a new camera recently and I have been obsessively photographing everything in sight.
    Anyway, to get back on track, last night was crystal clear, barely a cloud in the sky. I set up the tripod and mounted the camera on top of it and prepared for some star shots. In order to effectively capture the stars, the camera's shutter speed needs to be slowed right down in order to allow as much ambient light in as possible. Basically, what this means is that you press the capture button once and for the next 30 seconds, the camera captures the image. Any movement, even slight, will cause a dramatic blur effect.
    An example of this technique is seen in this image;

So, today I have been sorting through my shots on my PC and I came across this;

Notice the streak in the top right corner.
    I was thinking airplane, but it seems to be too high for that and I also did not see it with my own eyes or hear any noise (which I usually do.) Another thing is that I have never once seen an airplane flying in that direction in all the years I have been living here. I should also point out that the picture has not been edited in any way (except for re-sizing), so this is literally what the camera produced. You can see an ultra hi-res version of the image here;

http://homepage.eircom.net/~oggie85/IMG_3272.jpg
    What do you all reckon?
    I'm guessing either space-station or the Reptilians are here.
    Last edited by Oggie; 08-22-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Caught something strange on camera last night...

By the way, here is another one of the pictures from the session last night. I think it came out pretty well, considering I'm a total n00b at this photography biz.

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs49/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    I was photographing the sky late last night, as you do. I got a new camera recently and I have been obsessively photographing everything in sight.
    Anyway, to get back on track, last night was crystal clear, barely a cloud in the sky. I set up the tripod and mounted the camera on top of it and prepared for some star shots. In order to effectively capture the stars, the camera's shutter speed needs to be slowed right down in order to allow as much ambient light in as possible. Basically, what this means is that you press the capture button once and for the next 30 seconds, the camera captures the image. Any movement, even slight, will cause a dramatic blur effect
    So, today I have been sorting through my shots on my PC and I came across this;

Notice the streak in the top right corner.
    I was thinking airplane, but it seems to be too high for that and I also did not see it with my own eyes or hear any noise (which I usually do.) Another thing is that I have never once seen an airplane flying in that direction in all the years I have been living here. I should also point out that the picture has not been edited in any way (except for re-sizing), so this is literally what the camera produced.
    What do you all reckon?
    I'm guessing either space-station or the Reptilians are here.
    excellent picture. Kind of looks like a meteor. They are not that unusual, but hard to photograph, cause they are only visible for a short time, What you see was maybe there for half second. It is my understanding that meteors are some chunk of space debris that light up when they enter the atmosphere, then burn up from the heat of it all.
    Last edited by CGM; 08-22-2009 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They are beautiful shots. They are not space ships or aliens, now just look at this red light.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably a shooting star, exellent pictures though, I might nick one for my desktop
    Last edited by Kel; 08-22-2009 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you all for the kind words...

I was also thinking it could be a meteor, but there seems to be red lights appearing at regular intervals if you view the hi-res version of the image. This indicates a flashing light, as a sustained light would create a solid streak when using slow shutter speed (which is what you would expect with a meteor.) But, who knows...
    I did see two shooting stars in the time I was taking the pictures, and one slow moving light about the same size as a star, that suddenly glowed brightly and disappeared. I'm thinking that was something burning up, probably a meteor as you say.

Well, it seems you like my photography anyway.
    So here are a few more shots I took recently!

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs46/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ The ceiling inside reputedly Ireland's most haunted castle, 'Charleville', Offaly, Ireland.

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs48/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ Round tower at the historic site of Clonmacnoise in the Irish midlands.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs47/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ Ancient ruins, barely standing, also at Clonmacnoise.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs48/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ Birr Castle, Offaly, Ireland.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs49/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ My pussy.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs47/f/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ Bird gangs, that's how they roll!

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs48/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg^ Awesome duck.

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs48/i/20...by_oggie85.jpg
    ^ Extreme sky...
    Last edited by Oggie; 08-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That picture of the ceiling is nuts! Wow.

Anyways maybe it was just a plane you didn't see, I live by 3 airports and none of them fly low enough to hear but if you go up on a clear night you can see a bunch of those blinking red lights going across the sky. Maybe it's just something your not used to seeing on days when its not so clear.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
    Thank you all for the kind words...

I was also thinking it could be a meteor, but there seems to be red lights appearing at regular intervals if you view the hi-res version of the image. This indicates a flashing light, as a sustained light would create a solid streak when using slow shutter speed (which is what you would expect with a meteor.) But, who knows...
    I did see two shooting stars in the time I was taking the pictures, and one slow moving light about the same size as a star, that suddenly glowed brightly and disappeared. I'm thinking that was something burning up, probably a meteor as you say.
    shooting star is the same thing as a meteor or a meteorite. Anyways, I didn't check out the high res pic, the red lights you describe say plane I guess, or some sort of atmospheric phenomenon.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate you got a good eye most of those shots could be on post cards these days you can get them printed out into cards and sell em off to tourists on buses and gift shops.
    You line stuff up well too that duck is a great shot shows great action ,peace and calm too and the duck of course.
    What camera did you get?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would give anything to have open star filled skys around here.Great,deep shots.Very nice

That line almost looks transparent,
    Last edited by Spicoli; 08-22-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very cool pics Oggie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    That picture of the ceiling is nuts! Wow.

Anyways maybe it was just a plane you didn't see, I live by 3 airports and none of them fly low enough to hear but if you go up on a clear night you can see a bunch of those blinking red lights going across the sky. Maybe it's just something your not used to seeing on days when its not so clear.
    You could be right man. The white outline around the lights puzzles me aswell, seems a bit bizarre! But yes, it could be a really high plane that I just never noticed before.
    And I agree about the ceiling in the castle, it's amazing inside.

Originally Posted by CGM
    shooting star is the same thing as a meteor or a meteorite. Anyways, I didn't check out the high res pic, the red lights you describe say plane I guess, or some sort of atmospheric phenomenon.
    Haha, I had a feeling they were one and the same. Need to brush up on my astronomy...

Originally Posted by Andre
    Mate you got a good eye most of those shots could be on post cards these days you can get them printed out into cards and sell em off to tourists on buses and gift shops.
    You line stuff up well too that duck is a great shot shows great action ,peace and calm too and the duck of course.
    What camera did you get?
    Thanks man, I got a Canon 450D while I was in Hong Kong. I've been snapping shots like there is no tomorrow for the last few weeks.
    You may have given me a business idea there...
    Last edited by Oggie; 08-22-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would send the picture to Mutual UFO Network - MUFON - Dedicated to Scientific Study of UFOs if I were you. See what they have to say about it.

Also, the thing that strikes me about this picture is that you can see through the orange streak. I take that to mean that it wasn't a solid object.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So its a digital?

Round here is ocean surf great sunsets,farms, vineyards, dolphins,old piers, cliffs that you can see things in etc and its a big tourist area too so local photographers have done post cards and sell them for 6 times the cost of the normal ones.
    Others do a whole years work on the area and do a book with commentary.
    One guy took shots of quirky strange letterboxes people had and old car wrecks in the fog and stuff like that as well.
    Others did just beach scenes and sunrises sunsets etc water reflections of the sky.

They all sell heaps in the right season.

I think to photograph landmarks in rare lighting conditions sets them apart.

We get dudes who specialze in lightening shots around here too cause we got a mountain behind us that you can drive up and it looks over port phillip bay. One guy went up there one summer night and captured fork lightening hitting the water right in the spot where a speed boat had just from vacated! Captured the whole escape.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla View Post
    I would send the picture to Mutual UFO Network - MUFON - Dedicated to Scientific Study of UFOs if I were you. See what they have to say about it.

Also, the thing that strikes me about this picture is that you can see through the orange streak. I take that to mean that it wasn't a solid object.

If my understanding is right, it's not a solid streak it's just the trajectory. So for 30 seconds any motion in the sky is going to create the streak. So it's something moving that creates the streak, the solid red dots inside the streak indicate that there was a blinking light. Get it? Take a look at the picture of the city with the headlights streaking, it's the same effect just those aren't transparent because there were more headlights.

Thread Information