Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Favorite Boxing Combinations?

I decided to do a post on favorite boxing combinations, both to get ideas from other boxers, and to put out combinations that I know work successfully when sparring. These are my favorite boxing combinations that I used in sparring and on the heavy bag:

Jab, Cross

Jab (move in), Jab, Cross

Jab (move in), Cross, Left Head Hook, Cross

[Inside Fighting]: Right Uppercut, Left Hook, Cross

[Inside Fighting]: Left Body Hook, Left Head Hook, Cross

[Inside Fighting] Left Uppercut, Cross

What are your favorite combinations that you like to use in sparring/working the heavybag?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Favorite Boxing Combinations?

Well, I'm working on my jab/cross right now, so that is my "favorite" at the moment. My favorite of all time is the jab-cross-left hook (I have a big left hook).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jab, cross, left rip, cross, left hook to head, cross
    or
    jab, cross, big left jab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My ultimate favorite is the: jab-cross-big jab combination. To make it work even better I make a slight pause after the cross fooling my opponent into thinking its over and then I land the big jab. I got a good jab so I really like this combination.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't live by a combination list, it just doesn't seem practical to me. Although as for a counter that can lead to a combination, I LOVE the straight right to the body after slipping inside of a jab. It's all in one movement. I know that it's a good one when I hear a nice "Ooph", and then I can follow up with a left hook to the body/head.

Working up and down (and vice-versa) is good for creating an opening. A lot depends on how my opponent is reacting. I think that the fundamental jab, straight right, left hook can be effective at times, especially if my opponent just blocks it with their gloves on their head. This can at times make them narrow their guard, and then I can step around and get in a left hook. Sometimes I notice that if my opponent is concentrate on catching my jab, I can step around and get in a left hook behind their catcher's mitt. Lyle brought up before about throwing the uppercut after the hook, that is if they duck the hook, there's the uppercut that's on it's way. A lot just depends on who you're up against, and what works for each individual opponent.

Anyways, I don't believe in practicing combinations for combinations sake. Look, a decent boxer is going to be constantly adapting, and trying to hit you while trying to avoid getting hit. Preplanned moves can become liability in the ring when your opponent notices what you're doing. Now I'm not dismissing the practice of combination punching per se. Just remember that you're going to have to do it under pressure against a thinking and adapting opponent.

I think a good mentality that lends itself well to natural combination punching is as follows: Punch quick and accurately, let your punches settle in (punch through your opponent), and don't pull back too soon.

It's also a good idea to finish your combination with your lead hand. For one, you're a square target when throwing combinations, so finishing it with your lead hand gets you back into a fighting stance which enables you to avoid or defend against your opponents punches easier. Secondly, the jab is a good way to put some distance between you and your opponent. A lot of guys just want to keep punching, and the jab is a good punctuation mark to end an exchange.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information