Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mayweather vs Marquez

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Mayweather vs Marquez

Just wondering what everyone is thinking on this one i know most expect mayweather to win but who do you think will win?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Mayweather vs Marquez

I think Marquez' style does well to extend the slightly rusty Mayweather but ultimately Maquez gets outclassed and possibly pulled out.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably more out of desire than logic i'm going for Marquez to win. I just think that Mayweather has only fought 3 good to very good opponents in the last 8 years, being Castillo back in 2002, DLH in 2007 and Hatton in 2007.

Castillo gave him a damn good go. De La Hoya had a fantastic chance to win if he hadn't ran out of steam and Hatton had a perfect style for Mayweather, steaming right in onto counter punches. Thinkin about this, and the fact that Marquez won't run out of steam like DLH, won't jump in hands down like Hatton and has better speed and variety of punches than Castillo i'm givin him a good shot. I also think that Marquez won't be much smaller atall than Mayweather and will just lack in reach. He also won't be that much slower, PAc is so so fast, and he didn't have a terrible problem in hitting him atall...

Last thing is that aside from TKOing a complete "shell" of good fighters in Gatti and Mitchell, and KOing a terrible defense in Hatton, Mayweather hasn't KO'd or beat up anyone of very good or great or of note atall for years, probably since Corrales.

Heres to hoping and rooting for JMM.......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by themacmagician View Post
    Probably more out of desire than logic i'm going for Marquez to win. I just think that Mayweather has only fought 3 good to very good opponents in the last 8 years, being Castillo back in 2002, DLH in 2007 and Hatton in 2007.

Castillo gave him a damn good go. De La Hoya had a fantastic chance to win if he hadn't ran out of steam and Hatton had a perfect style for Mayweather, steaming right in onto counter punches. Thinkin about this, and the fact that Marquez won't run out of steam like DLH, won't jump in hands down like Hatton and has better speed and variety of punches than Castillo i'm givin him a good shot. I also think that Marquez won't be much smaller atall than Mayweather and will just lack in reach. He also won't be that much slower, PAc is so so fast, and he didn't have a terrible problem in hitting him atall...

Last thing is that aside from TKOing a complete "shell" of good fighters in Gatti and Mitchell, and KOing a terrible defense in Hatton, Mayweather hasn't KO'd or beat up anyone of very good or great or of note atall for years, probably since Corrales.

Heres to hoping and rooting for JMM.......
    I agree with pretty much all of this. Voted with my head [Mayweather], but I'm hoping Marquez can learn from DLH and pull this one out. That fight was very close and as you say, if DLH had had the stamina he would have won on points. Marquez has proven he can nullify speed with incredible timing against Pac, and my only worry is that he opens up too much and gets pot-shotted all night. The weight difference isn't going to be as huge a factor as some people are thinking - I reckon there'll only be 4/5 pounds between them by the time they step between the ropes. In anycase, Marquez can do this, it's just a case of him being smart and not allowing Mayweather to fight his fight - which, admittedly, will be no easy task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you look at fighters who gave Mayweather trouble at some point in the fight, it was usually smaller guys who were quick and could counter punch really well.. castillo and zab judah come to mind.. zab fought mayweather well in the first half of the fight until floyd adapted..

i see this fight as really boring at the beginning, where floyd basically pot shots to get marquez REALLY frustrated so that marquez opens up more and throws more punches at which point mayweather COULD get caught, but will play it even more safe and just try to land clean shots..

IF this fight is close going into the 8-9th round then i think we will see a great finish where mayweather will HAVE to open up and fight..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    When you look at fighters who gave Mayweather trouble at some point in the fight, it was usually smaller guys who were quick and could counter punch really well.. castillo and zab judah come to mind.. zab fought mayweather well in the first half of the fight until floyd adapted..

i see this fight as really boring at the beginning, where floyd basically pot shots to get marquez REALLY frustrated so that marquez opens up more and throws more punches at which point mayweather COULD get caught, but will play it even more safe and just try to land clean shots..

IF this fight is close going into the 8-9th round then i think we will see a great finish where mayweather will HAVE to open up and fight..
    Has PBF ever fought bigger guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Everytime he has stepped up in weight if he has come from 130lbs to 154lbs i would say he has fought bigger guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post

Not even sure that warrants a response..

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are too many variables at play in this one for me. All I know is that I really, really want Marquez to pull out the surprise win. He has it all against him being the significantly smaller fighter moving up, but Mayweather has been out two years and Marquez has a phenomenal boxing brain and a warriors will. Mayweather is smart and savvy too though, so I don't know.

I vote Marquez, but that is my heart talking, I don't know.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I with the minority on this one. I think it's a very tough call to pick a winner for this fight. No way Mayweather becomes the puncher in this fight. So even though Marquez has trouble catching runners he's the aggressor. With the low output of punches produced by Mayweather. Marquez is accurate enough and should stay busy enough to win by decision. A little more entertaining the undercard, CJ vs RJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My heart says Marquez my head says Mayweather.
    Its hard to predict whats gonna happen due to the wild card in the fight (Mayweather's long retirement) Mayweather can't comeback and be the same that long lay off must men Mayweather is off on something an i believe it will show in fight night.
    I picked Marquez
    Lifes a wheel of fortune and its my turn to spin it. -Tupac Shakur

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the only reason this is still close to a "pick 'em" fight is because Floyd has been away from the ring for almost 2 years. If he had been active he would be a solid 5-1 favourite over Marquez.

Floyd will be a little rusty but remember he pretty much lost the first 4 rounds to Zab and then got in a groove (and Zab stopped throwing punches as usual) and won the fight comfortably. For some reason I think Floyd might be a little more agressive than usual and we could see a fight closer to his scrap with Burton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah Mayweather would be a 5-1 betting favorite any other time (as an active fighter). He has pushed the envelope too may times on fighting "champs" and yanking guys around to different weights.

Thing is... any fighter fighting 14 pounds above their natural weight should be a 5-1 deficit. So, the way I see it? PBF is a punk-ass fake humanitarian who needs to stop referring to himself in the third person like a Greek God or something. Guy has zero class. 24/7 film guys are probably puking their guts out between shoots for the VAST misconception they are portraying for the rest of the world. But hey, that may just be me and my silly little opinion.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As I said before, May is bigger, faster, stronger, younger, more skilled, less wear and tear on his body, he has almost every advantage except for staying active. That's the only advantage JMM has. It should be competitive for 3 rounds because of Mayweather's inactivity. But a wide UD victory for Floyd where the fight wasn't even close overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyFolds View Post
    yeah Mayweather would be a 5-1 betting favorite any other time (as an active fighter). He has pushed the envelope too may times on fighting "champs" and yanking guys around to different weights.

Thing is... any fighter fighting 14 pounds above their natural weight should be a 5-1 deficit. So, the way I see it? PBF is a punk-ass fake humanitarian who needs to stop referring to himself in the third person like a Greek God or something. Guy has zero class. 24/7 film guys are probably puking their guts out between shoots for the VAST misconception they are portraying for the rest of the world. But hey, that may just be me and my silly little opinion.
    LOL!!! That 3rd person stuff is too funny. It always irks me to hear people refer to themselves this way. Some of my favorite fighters do this. I used to see it as a lack of intelligence but I think it's more a lack of education.

The lack of intelligence theory came from watching Big Mouth from the smurfs and the Hulk deliver their lines. Big Mouth Angry!!! Hulk MAAAAD!!!

Thread Information