Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default BBBofC orders Fury-McDermott rematch

A lot of the furore since the fight has died down now, tomorrow is the date that the BBBofC has set (according to the BBC website) for its inquiry into the Brentwood fiasco.

Terry O'Connor didn't endear himself to any of the home fans who had turned up to see McDermott fight with an odd 98-92 score in favour of Tyson Fury being his view of the bout. Pundits and critics alike were quick to criticise, and McDermott's manager Frank Maloney didn't pull any punches in his post-fight interview, saying: "I will be well prepared for the hearing and fighting for the future of boxing's image, which has been dented by this debacle. All I want is justice for John and I will go all the way to a court of law to get it if needed. [O'Connor] has made a terrible mistake that has left a young man wondering if it's worth boxing professionally".

How do you think the BBBofC will play this? What with Maloney having a heart attack days later, and Fury due to fight in Ireland on the Bernie Dunne undercard in a few days time, will all the parties even be there?

Personally, I think we'll see an order for a rematch, along with a reprimand to Frank Maloney for his comments, maybe a small fine, and a short suspension for O'Connor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How will the BBBofC deal with Fury-McDermott?

Quote Originally Posted by superheavyrhun View Post
    A lot of the furore since the fight has died down now, tomorrow is the date that the BBBofC has set (according to the BBC website) for its inquiry into the Brentwood fiasco.

Terry O'Connor didn't endear himself to any of the home fans who had turned up to see McDermott fight with an odd 98-92 score in favour of Tyson Fury being his view of the bout. Pundits and critics alike were quick to criticise, and McDermott's manager Frank Maloney didn't pull any punches in his post-fight interview, saying: "I will be well prepared for the hearing and fighting for the future of boxing's image, which has been dented by this debacle. All I want is justice for John and I will go all the way to a court of law to get it if needed. [O'Connor] has made a terrible mistake that has left a young man wondering if it's worth boxing professionally".

How do you think the BBBofC will play this? What with Maloney having a heart attack days later, and Fury due to fight in Ireland on the Bernie Dunne undercard in a few days time, will all the parties even be there?

Personally, I think we'll see an order for a rematch, along with a reprimand to Frank Maloney for his comments, maybe a small fine, and a short suspension for O'Connor.
    It would be interesting to see what rounds were score for each boxer.

O'Connor should have to explane what he saw and why he scored it like he did.

Also another question is should a ref have to try and score the fight as well as ref it.
    The answer to this is almost certinaly no in which case the BBBC is going to have to try and find some more judges and refs as they have been scoring fights on the cheap for decades.
    Balls

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

Also another question is should a ref have to try and score the fight as well as ref it.
    The answer to this is almost certinaly no in which case the BBBC is going to have to try and find some more judges and refs as they have been scoring fights on the cheap for decades.
    I see where you're coming from in terms of getting the refs to score the fights as well....but we've got to make sure that the grass roots of boxing at the lower levels don't get priced out of arranging boxing events. Ultimately, the English title which this fight was for isn't one that is usually headlining shows in front of packed venues.

Normally it's a belt somewhere on the undercard, or often on shows with no tv coverage whatsoever, where the costs are run on very small margins. However, in cases like this where the draw of the fighters rather than the belt brought the big audience and Sky TV, it's been shown up and left a bitter taste for John McD. I'm not convinced there's a perfect solution, but perhaps an appeals panel or one judge along with the ref might be a halfway house.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

I see where you're coming from in terms of getting the refs to score the fights as well....but we've got to make sure that the grass roots of boxing at the lower levels don't get priced out of arranging boxing events. Ultimately, the English title which this fight was for isn't one that is usually headlining shows in front of packed venues.

Normally it's a belt somewhere on the undercard, or often on shows with no tv coverage whatsoever, where the costs are run on very small margins. However, in cases like this where the draw of the fighters rather than the belt brought the big audience and Sky TV, it's been shown up and left a bitter taste for John McD. I'm not convinced there's a perfect solution, but perhaps an appeals panel or one judge along with the ref might be a halfway house.

I understand that but when boxers are putting there health on the line while trying to earn a few extra quid as thats all it is in most cases they should get treated as fair as boxers in a world title fights.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this has proven that the British fight scene must move away from an archaic style of scoring the fight by the man in charge of what amounts to policing the fight.

I for one can't see how he can do both and in defence of the referees themselves it's a big ask of them.

Not that I think there was anything corrupt in this case but with a judges panel it further eliminates the chancge of corruption, it's harder to get to three guys than it is one.

In this case I imagine they will punish Malone for his comments, defend the referee and publicly stick by him as he is their chosen official and to not do so would be an admission they were wron which the BBBC won't do !

Malone will be dealt with softly in reverence to his heart attack and losing one of his fighters tragically.

A rematch will not be ordered but will probably be pushed by both camps, one saying they should have won , the other trying to bolster the fact they were awarded the win.

End result, Fury will win a rematch as McDermott will be fighting on anger and for the wrong reason.

Justice is seldom served.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: How will the BBBofC deal with Fury-McDermott?

Does anyone really think they'll do anything?

We've seen stinkers in the past & nothing changes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: BBBofC orders Fury-McDermott rematch

OK, so just heard on the radio now, and showing on the BBC website, there will be a rematch between Fury and McDermott. At the end of the first bout, everyone said they were up for it, so there should be no reason for this not to take place.

Terry O'Connor will continue as a Class A Star Referee. No news in terms of any censure to Maloney after his comments.

Personally, I think this is about as good as we were to expect from the hearing, though will be interesting to see what will be said by the two camps.

Here's the link to the report:
    BBC SPORT | Boxing | Fury-McDermott rematch demanded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jamiebhoy View Post
    I think this has proven that the British fight scene must move away from an archaic style of scoring the fight by the man in charge of what amounts to policing the fight.

I for one can't see how he can do both and in defence of the referees themselves it's a big ask of them.

Not that I think there was anything corrupt in this case but with a judges panel it further eliminates the chancge of corruption, it's harder to get to three guys than it is one.

In this case I imagine they will punish Malone for his comments, defend the referee and publicly stick by him as he is their chosen official and to not do so would be an admission they were wron which the BBBC won't do !

Malone will be dealt with softly in reverence to his heart attack and losing one of his fighters tragically.

A rematch will not be ordered but will probably be pushed by both camps, one saying they should have won , the other trying to bolster the fact they were awarded the win.

End result, Fury will win a rematch as McDermott will be fighting on anger and for the wrong reason.

Justice is seldom served.

agree completely

how hard could it possibly be to put 3refs from the previous nights contest around the ring and have them score the fight individually.

I just hope to god theyve at least requested o`connors scorecard as i like many would just love to know how exactly he came to a 98-92 conclusion for a man who got torn to shreds.

No doubts he`ll be back boxing main events before we know it and genuinely talented young refs who wouldnt dream of making a f*ck up as big as that wont get a chance
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fury's fight for Saturday night in Dublin has been confirmed as the guy who got a draw out of Mike Holden in a four-rounder a few weeks ago, Tomas Mrazek.

Should be a nice easy cruise for Fury, Mrazek looked to be a blown-up cruiser against Holden, but probably deserved a win in that one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and rightly so!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember seeing this with a British title eliminator a few months back between Akaash Bhatia & Jamie Arthur. Bhatia appeared to control the fight, & at worst drew the fight, yet Dave Parris (big surprise there) came out with a 96-95 division in favour of Arthur. Obviously without major TV coverage, there was no uproar & Bhatia had to just accept the decision

Thread Information