Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever been subjected to Racial/ Cultural Abuse/ Discrimination?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Have you ever been subjected to Racial/ Cultural Abuse/ Discrimination?

I'm steaming mad!

Iv'e just read some shit that seriously has me thinking crazy, so i need to keep things simple instead of vetting my anger in an inappropriate manor. I won't elaborate now.

Instead, i thought i'd just conduct a simple survey of sorts.

Please excuse me/ my tone but how many of you actually have experienced some kind of discrimination or abuse with regards to your colour, religion, cultural background, accent etc...?

I'm just interested to know how it made you feel? How you reacted to it?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Have you ever been subjected to Racial/ Cultural Abuse/ Discrimination?

...well I usually just laugh it off as I'm white

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Have you ever been subjected to Racial/ Cultural Abuse/ Discrimination?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
    I'm steaming mad!

Iv'e just read some shit that seriously has me thinking crazy, so i need to keep things simple instead of vetting my anger in an inappropriate manor. I won't elaborate now.

Please excuse me/ my tone but how many of you actually have experienced some kind of discrimination or abuse with regards to your colour, religion, cultural background, accent etc...?

I've been called a Dirty Manc before.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pommy b@stards as a general thing in Australia was well known as I was growing up even though I got here when I was three and spoke only with an aussie accent still copped it throughout school.

Once it came from my own father inlaw, who has a distant German backgorund!

I said "Oh well you guys didnt do too bad I suppose, you came second in two world wars". That nipped that one in the bud.

It wasnt good out here though. The british new settlers and soldiers of the queen who stood by and did nothing while whites buried black aboriginal kids up to their necks on the beach and played soccer with them takes along time to get over.The rape of their peacful women,erradication of their species over land. Stealing of their children etc.

The only English men who were against the mass slaughters were the English and Irish prisoners of her majesty and some of the clergy etc so its a circle of mistrust that has only just subsided.

In the outer country areas these racial harborings take more time to dispell.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    ...well I usually just laugh it off as I'm white
    Not just racial Lyle.

If i remember not so long ago, you were lambasting me for calling you a yank.

I mean really? Who gives a fuck

Yourself.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the age of two the family moved with my Dad to Canada my Father being Canadian. I was there Five years then returned to Sheffield, England where I was born.Trouble was I spoke as a Canadian,at school I was Battered from Pillar to Post every Day. Couldnt work it out a first, .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm steaming mad!

Everyone gets discriminated against, it's just a matter of how subtle it is or overt abuse.
    How does it feel? One of two, either want to smack them in the mouth or laugh in their face for being so ignorant.

El Kabong Guest

Not just racial Lyle.

If i remember not so long ago, you were lambasting me for calling you a yank.

I mean really? Who gives a fuck

Yourself.
    Oh if you're going to call me a Yankee, then I may get angry enough to work up a spit.

I am an American, we are good.....Yankees are loud, obnoxious, and lacking social couth...say what you will about Southerners and the slackjawed toothless morons Hollywood portrays us as but go to New Jersey/Philadelphia and tell me they are better.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got mocked by some americans once who didn't like that I was coming from the french part of Canada, they were accusing me of being a shithead communists and a few other strange accusations turning around that. As I kind of have a huge punk cultural background, I got called hobos, trash garbage or glue sniffer, especially in my home town because one of my friend was living close to the forbidden triangle (I.E a zone where 3 posh pubs with a huge summer terraso filled with alpha males with testosterone) and I was often insulted when I was walking by there. BEside, quite ok I would say.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Being half Scottish/Geordie and a bit better educated and rasied than 9/10 of the people I used to work with on the building sites... I wouldn't call it abuse but I was definetly made to feel different then the other lads.

I wasn't treat like an outsider, but I was treat like an outsider who was allowed inside... if that makes any sense?...

This may prove unpopular with a few of you here but I'm gonna get on my soap box anyway -

In this country you have two things going either for or against you: your skills/qualitys and your ethnic background/gender etc... the country is now full of so much positive disrimination that I am pretty certain being a white male hasn't helped me at all...

In other jobs it won't be the case, but when it's goverment/council ran gyms/the fire service etc as is my experience, then being a young, white male doesn't exactly give you a helping hand.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    Being half Scottish/Geordie and a bit better educated and rasied than 9/10 of the people I used to work with on the building sites... I wouldn't call it abuse but I was definetly made to feel different then the other lads.

I wasn't treat like an outsider, but I was treat like an outsider who was allowed inside... if that makes any sense?...

This may prove unpopular with a few of you here but I'm gonna get on my soap box anyway -

In this country you have two things going either for or against you: your skills/qualitys and your ethnic background/gender etc... the country is now full of so much positive disrimination that I am pretty certain being a white male hasn't helped me at all...

In other jobs it won't be the case, but when it's goverment/council ran gyms/the fire service etc as is my experience, then being a young, white male doesn't exactly give you a helping hand.

you should work where I do. It's like Grace Brothers. Women make tea and answer phones get paid less than the men....

big difference in public/private business.

don't forget class/regional difference as well, that still has an effect.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been subjected to racial abuse a number of times. One christmas me and my wife decided to go to Seoul with another married couple who are friends of ours. Immediately after getting into the streets from the train station a woman walked up to me and started to abuse me for having the audacity to hold hands with a pure blooded Korean. Forget the fact that this was my wife, but apparently I was white and so was a perfect target for her ire. I got quite pissed off and grabbed her hand which was pointing into my chest a little too much for my liking. My wife and my friend pulled me back, telling me to walk away because she was obviously not worth the argument. I saw their point and let it go, but it soured my day somewhat. That's just one of my little stories, there are others though.

I have come to the conclusion that Koreans are a very insecure bunch and nothing fills them with fright more than a white male married to one of 'their' women. The racism is institutionalised here and it feeds from the politics and media through to the public who have been fed a very negative image of 'the white menace'. In no other country are white middle class university educated males held in such fear. Currently a group called the anti English spectrum has come to prominence in Korea. They cloak their agenda in saying they are about improving education and protecting the children. Pull the other one! Im the teacher with an MA in education...I care about education. These muppets are on the whole concerned with white/black foreign males who date Korean women. They even stalk English teachers and post pictures of their apartments on their website. They even went through a female teachers trash and reported on their site that they had found a used condom. These are obviously classy people. Unfortunately the ministry of justice has invited their leader to government meetings and the media has been quoting from him quite freely. The police have also given him an award for his vigilante behaviour. It's almost like the British government taking the BNP under its wing and asking them for advice! Just a few weeks ago the leader of ATEK (a small foreign teachers union out here) recieved an email from a member of Anti English spectrum threatening to kill him and throw acid into the faces of English teachers starting this christmas. Police are currently investigating.

Currently they are trying to stimatize foreigners as AIDS carrying, drug abusing, pedophiles. Of course, when the media is going along with this without verifying any facts and creating a climate of fear it makes the public somewhat uneasy. Foreign teachers are now being forced to provide incountry AIDS tests. Even the sex workers (entertainment...ahem) and the 3D workers are able to supply AIDS tests from their home countries and yet educated English teachers must do it in country. It's all about trying to stimgmatise the English teacher.

I don't have to bother with all that crap because I have permanent residency status, but for any new people wanting to come here. I would tell them not to bother. I wouldn't have come with all the extra paper work required these days, it's just not worth it.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 12-16-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We used to get bused into some hell hole once a week from Jr high back in Cali,Remember it being in Stockton (??) and "SM" being everywhere...Sherman Barrio ?? Needless to say 15-20 little white dudes climbing off the bus from the suburbs surrounded by cholos clad in hair nets,tanks and broken english sneers who were old enough to be their classmates uncle put the fear of fooking god in us.Not to mention the Chicks were as nasty and tough as some of the dudes.You learned to walk back to back real quick...either that or take the failing grades and ditch that place constantly.The extent of my spanish went Pinchi Gringo, Puta and vato and carry a huge brick........It lingered through parts of our regular schools.Always a separation of herd mentality and tension.We had a saying...If you fight one bean,you fight the whole damn bur......awww never mind.We came to co exist after a few scuffles.Just stayed the hell away and leave em the fook alone.Never turned tail but you get wise to conducting and carrying yourself when out numbered in a hurry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

English bastard, White bastard, Nazi Bastard was pretty regular when I lived in Bradford and I responded by beating the fuck out of them. I ain't lived there for 6 years though and moved away to get away from it all because I always reacted to any kind of insult with violence. Was years ago though when I was still a kid really.

Most recent was a Scottish fella that called me an 'English cunt' when I was up in Oban in Scotland (stunning place) at a friends party. I won't go into what happened but we were drinking together and having a good time about 10 minutes later and we speak on the phone a few times a year.

Anyway what's the problem Grinch?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes...

But I brush it off and move on with my life.

The most reason time was when I was in Thousand Oaks pumping gas and I was in my car and 2 Caucasian (White American) men that appeared to be in their 40s we're pumping gas on the other side I had Spanish music playing loud enough for me to hear while I pumped gas and I walked inside to buy a Gatorade and walked back and as I walked back past them I heared one of them say "Even if he's well dressed and in a Mercedes he's still a wet back" I stopped turned around and said "Just think that this wet back dresses better then you and drives a better car then you" and went about my business...

Thread Information