Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pets

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ok Lyle help me please , barking at anything that moves.Two of them triggers for each other and they go at it singly as well.They are three,they know it pisses us off but dont give a rats.

Thought about squirting the hose over them each time they bark and go off outside but really lifes too short to go running out there of a night.

They shut up when you yell shut up but then it just happens again.
    Luckily for me I haven't had much trouble with Biff (my dog) when it comes to barking...we thought he was barkless for the longest time.

#1 I have heard that taking a flashlight and shining it on a dog at night will stop them from barking. I guess it's kind of like a startle reflex (which is how I trained my dog so well). Anyway you shine the light on them, discipline them and eventually you can phase out either the light or the discipline whichever is easiest. Or whenever they bark bring them inside and discipline them immediately.

#2 There's a special collar you can get to stop a dog from barking or teach them not to bark. The bark, they get something harmless yet not fun sprayed in their face and eventually they stop barking.

#3 You can get a shock collar and really you should only have to zap them once because there are special shock collars that have a vibrate and a shock setting so to condition (in other words to teach) the dog to know that the vibrate setting means he's pushing it you just taps vibrate then immediately tap shock and eventually all you have to do is tap vibrate and they will clam up.

I used the "Startle Reflex" to train my dog to stop doing bad things by snapping or clapping really loud and this made him stop whatever he was doing leaving him open to suggestion. I got so good with just asserting my dominance over my dog without saying a command that just by clapping and pointing at him he'd imnmediately roll over on his back in a submissive state.....but I still have trouble with him "greeting" company he howls at them and keeps his guard up for a while but that's part of the watch dog in him so I'm kind of trying to work on that myself.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ok Lyle help me please , barking at anything that moves.Two of them triggers for each other and they go at it singly as well.They are three,they know it pisses us off but dont give a rats.

Thought about squirting the hose over them each time they bark and go off outside but really lifes too short to go running out there of a night.

They shut up when you yell shut up but then it just happens again.
    Luckily for me I haven't had much trouble with Biff (my dog) when it comes to barking...we thought he was barkless for the longest time.

#1 I have heard that taking a flashlight and shining it on a dog at night will stop them from barking. I guess it's kind of like a startle reflex (which is how I trained my dog so well). Anyway you shine the light on them, discipline them and eventually you can phase out either the light or the discipline whichever is easiest. Or whenever they bark bring them inside and discipline them immediately.

#2 There's a special collar you can get to stop a dog from barking or teach them not to bark. The bark, they get something harmless yet not fun sprayed in their face and eventually they stop barking.

#3 You can get a shock collar and really you should only have to zap them once because there are special shock collars that have a vibrate and a shock setting so to condition (in other words to teach) the dog to know that the vibrate setting means he's pushing it you just taps vibrate then immediately tap shock and eventually all you have to do is tap vibrate and they will clam up.

I used the "Startle Reflex" to train my dog to stop doing bad things by snapping or clapping really loud and this made him stop whatever he was doing leaving him open to suggestion. I got so good with just asserting my dominance over my dog without saying a command that just by clapping and pointing at him he'd imnmediately roll over on his back in a submissive state.....but I still have trouble with him "greeting" company he howls at them and keeps his guard up for a while but that's part of the watch dog in him so I'm kind of trying to work on that myself.
    My mother in-law used this because one of her dogs went crazy barking every night, the collar worked for the most part but the spray stuff smells like Cintronella and her house reeks of it.

What we used for the startle reflex was a soda can with coins in it, whenever Shorty (RIP), Brahma (RIP) or Vishnu would misbehave we would just immediately shake the can. We were fortunate that it has worked with all our dogs. I have heard a lot of people saying it didn't work for them.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

Although #3 doesn't seem "humane" I find it to be the easiest if you have a dog that doesn't respond to the startle reflex when they are outside. The vibrate/shock collar tells the dog "There will be a punishment" (vibrate) and then "Here's the punishment" (shock)...if you factor your voice in there by giving a warning ahead of the vibrate you can eventually take that collar off altogether in a step by step process. Your command will need to be short and if need be avoid using the dog's name...just throw out a "HEY! QUIET!" or heck, even a clap would do if they listen to it...use whatever command that works inside the house and that will suit them.

#1 Make the chain...make it so your dogs understand and link together what happens Bark = your command (1 second pause), vibrate(1 second pause), then shock.

#2 Phase out the shock. Once the chain is made in the dog's brain eventually you will only have to make the command because the dog knows what is coming next. So what you do is you make the command and once the dog complies frequently before the shock occurs you don't have to do that anymore and the vibrate becomes enough to shake the dog out of it's behavior.

It's kind of like a parent doing the age old "I'm going to give you to the count of three" thing....they only ever need to reach 3 once.

Here are some other factors to help you out Andre:
    #1 Believe it or not surrounding environment is ALWAYS a prime factor in Behavioral Psychology because in some settings you are able to focus and concentrate better an in other settings you find it hard to do so. If they are inside there may be less going on, your voice may carry better, you may have established yourself as "pack leader" inside the house....meanwhile outside there are sights, smells, sounds and you may get drowned out all that commotion.

#2 Also you must factor in their mental/physical/emotional state when they are outside, have they just been in the house all day or have they just been playing...odds are if they have been sufficiently worn out they won't bark at everything. This reason is the PRIME reason domestic dogs are easy to train because usually above all else they would like either food or affection and be sure to reward them for good behavior just as you would punish them for acting bad.

So whatever you choose to use make sure you try and give yourself and your pet the advantage of Environment and Physical State and you will be more successful.

Let me know how it works for you
    Last edited by El Kabong; 01-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Im definately the pack leader.One word from me and they usually shut it,one word from any one else in the house and they usually just carry on regardless,so I guess its me.

They have a doggie door so they can move out of one end of the house which is the tiled area and computer room to outside anywhere they like.

We live in a tourist holiday area so we dont have neighbors for 3/4 of the year so these fukkers go off when noise comes from next door.

But that seems to carry over onto our visitors and people going past or even cars that pull up out front now.They get up the lady that lives behind us too cause they know they get an emotion feel from her when they do.

ID squirt them with a super soaker everytime they did it if it was up to me,

But then I get.... " thats cruuuuel !"

I doubt the collars would be allowed by this lot either! You see Im the pack leader with the dogs, but these 3 women run me like a fukkin greyhound .

3 votes to 1 = me going surfing even more
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

dogs are so stupid. I always laugh when they hide under the bed Shen they are frightened.

The fools, don't they know that's where monsters always go.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Accegiomo View Post
    Hello, I just joined but I am looking forward to getting involved here. I have had quite a bit of experience with disobedient dogs...I have had some successful experiences and not so successful experiences. Let me catch up on some reading but glad to be here.
    Hello you may have to experience disobedient posters, could I suggest a FUCKING BIG STICK.
    Last edited by Dia bando; 03-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like a time machine this, we can chat to people in the past.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Accegiomo View Post
    Hello, I just joined but I am looking forward to getting involved here. I have had quite a bit of experience with disobedient dogs...I have had some successful experiences and not so successful experiences. Let me catch up on some reading but glad to be here.
    Did you go on a second date with any of these dogs ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Thread Information