Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: does numbing your hands gives advantage in actual boxing fight?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does numbing your hands gives advantage in actual boxing fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default does numbing your hands gives advantage in actual boxing fight?

you don't feel pain anymore so i think numbing your hands will give you some advantage

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: does numbing your hands gives advantage in actual boxing fight?

A saddoboxing member gives his thought on numbing your hands for a fight.
    The guy also used to box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1aBWsCNlQ

BTW, this guy isn't any nuthugger of any fighter, check his vids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by generalbulldog View Post
    The guy also used to box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1aBWsCNlQ
    BTW, this guy isn't any nuthugger of any fighter, check his vids.
    good insights. whats bigragu's username here at saddo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Who is this guy to discriminate against every person who has asthma and still wants to box?, i have asthma and i didnt appreciate the inhaler gesture you was making, first of all i believe even children understand that in having asthma one has difficulty in breathing more so than the ordinary person who has perfectly healthy lungs such as yourself , right so in fact that person would have a disadvantage to the fighter without asthma in oxygen intake, so he takes his inhaler to open his airways back up to the norm? how is this cheating how is this an advantage? the only way this could be an advantage is if a fighter without asthma was using an inhaler and if they were i doubt it would really give them any advantage because their airways are already open and dont need drugs to do it for them. just a case of another internet guru talking about things he knows nothing about.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zbolt View Post
    The guy also used to box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1aBWsCNlQBTW, this guy isn't any nuthugger of any fighter, check his vids.
    He went by BigRagu or THEBigRagu

He was a cool guy really, very objective in his posting.

@WayneFlint - He's allowed his view that NO drugs should be allowed in the ring.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also the point has been brought up that fighters can overlook injury with increased pain threshold so this may work out as a disadvantage as well.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

my thoughts are that this is a very weak attempt to make a certain fighter seem like a cheater, when a certain poster's favorite fighter is the one under the microscope for cheating by using an illegal substance

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It doesn't give you any advantage you wouldn't have if you spent time waiting for the injury to heal and fought without it. The situation as its usually presented is, you call the fight off/postpone till you're fully healed and get the ok from the doc to commence sparring and finish up the last phase of your training...till then you keep your cardio up and diet...or numb your hands and get get some cortizone injections or other anti inflamatory that will allow you to fight the night of the scheduled fight and not blow the whole promotion the (non refundable money invested, tickets printed, venue reserved, your training, your opponents training, etc). If its legal where you're fighting, its not a hard decision for most.

It doesnt make you throw punches any harder, faster or further than you would without an injury. It doesn't allow you to pack on more muscle or enhance any ability other than to fight through pain that was there before the fight started. Their hands are numb as injections are local to the side of the injury, not their whole body. The author of the vid is entitled to his opinions, but I doubt it gives anyone the idea that they can go out there with this aura that theyre are indestructible. You're not throwing any harder than you would had you not been injured. If youre opponent drops their hand low after shooting a jab, you're already countering as a reflex.. youre not thinking "ok ..i'll only throw this one at 50% because of my hand" or "I can punch through walls now!!! so die b@stard!" its already out there and you probably won't even realize how hard you threw it until it lands and you're feeling the sting.
    Personally, I liked the feeling in my hands when I connected. The lighter the padding, the better. But I also used to punch things out of anger before boxing and kick boxing...and some of my knuckles are deformed from some of the micro breaks...Even though I've had a fracture or two in a few fingers, my hands were never really brittle, and even less so now as the bone became more dense. For someone like Floyd that has brittle hands and has been wearing gloves his whole life, the pain and injuries can be a chronic problem... Less of a problem since Garcia started wrapping his hands, but before that I remember Floyd having a knockdown registered against him because the pain was so severe from punching another fighter with a fractured metacarpal, that he doubled over and his glove touched the canvas. Had he been treated on the spot with any of these drugs, he might have been able to punch after they took effect, but he still would have felt it. I have lower back problems now and if i reinjure it, I sometimes have to take anti inflammatories and walk with a cane just to get through a day at my desk. When I am move the wrong way or am positioned in a way in which my spine is compacted, I don't feel the pain, but theres a buzz. Its like your body is screaming but its muffled. Where I normally would get a sharp pain that would buckle me at the knees, I feel a dull ache that makes me wince a little but its bareable.

Numbing your hands won't numb your whole body, and definitely won't save your brain from bouncing off the walls of your skull if you get clipped.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Doesn't every big puncher take some kind of injections in their hands before fights? Including you-know-who? I thought this kind of thing was commonplace, especially for world title-level fights?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BigRagu was pretty cool, apparently he does a fair amount of these.

The fact that all of this is being brought up by Pacquiao fans trying to deflect hides the fact that it is a bit of an issue, that it probably shouldn't be allowed, and, the bigger issue, that there should probably be unified rules in the States.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its dangerous to do...Fighters have been known to use cortazone shots to get through pain but any fighter worth his salt would only allow it if need be....Larry Holmes had hand problems and used to get real bad pains but in a few fights he used the shots on a need be basis....

If you have no real need do not do it...By not feeling anything in your hand you one do not only know if you are injured but how badly?

Also you real;ly can not gauge how hard you are/are not hitting...

Anything that involves altering be it something this simple or not should be a no no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zbolt View Post
    The guy also used to box. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB1aBWsCNlQBTW, this guy isn't any nuthugger of any fighter, check his vids.
    He went by BigRagu or THEBigRagu

He was a cool guy really, very objective in his posting.

@WayneFlint - He's allowed his view that NO drugs should be allowed in the ring.

Yeah I remember this guy from here...He was a pretty decent poster from what I remember he knew his boxing and did not create any drama....Good poster for sure...He just faded out one day

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pain is a signal telling your brain that something is being damaged... so in the long run the only person who is going to suffer serious damage is yourself if you punch on damaged hands.

Using a loaded wrap or taking a substance that improves your performance levels above what you are naturally capable of etc puts the other figher at risk of serious injury.

Most rules are in place to protect the other fighter... some are there to protect YOU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    my thoughts are that this is a very weak attempt to make a certain fighter seem like a cheater, when a certain poster's favorite fighter is the one under the microscope for cheating by using an illegal substance
    your thoughts not the purpose of this thread. i think this is a legitimate boxing question that worthy of a forum discussion

El Kabong Guest

Didn't Mayweather use to use Winning Gloves instead of Cleto Reyes? If he didn't get those injections I could see him going back to those "pillows" he used to wear and just plain old outboxing Pacquiao

Thread Information