Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Paul Williams swarmer style

I know swarmers are supposed to be in-fighters and usually have a reach advantage, but has there been any other swarmers that have a reach advantage and been successful? What is the key to being a successful swarmer with a reach advantage?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Paul Williams swarmer style

I really don't think there is any advantage per-say, it's just how Paul Williams fights. I feel the guy is a freak due to having his frame at that weight, not remotely because of his ability to use it in the ring. He gives up his height completely, and rarely gets close to full extension on his punches, he has basically no functional reach advantage over good fighters. If he had a different style I think it would be ridiculous, but that's purely hypothetical going by his physique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^^

Very interesting to note he does not use his reach as effectively as he could, noticing he does not fully extend his punches.

I agree, hypothetically, PW would be very successful (not saying he's not) if he chose to pot-shot his opponents and keep them at a distance counter-punching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, I have to agree. Paul Williams doesn't even use his reach advantage and in reality uses it to a disadvantage because he almost always fights inside. Somehow its worked thus far and I doubt it'd be good to try to change his style completely at after all this time. I thought his offensive defense and fighting welterweights inside with a heavyweight reach would be exposed by now but the boy just makes it work somehow. I guess throwing 1000 punches doesn't give your opponent much time to think and adjust either.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only place he uses his reach is his jab. It's not really intended, but just something that benefits him because it works well for him style wise. Using a rangey jab and the leverage that comes with his height, he tries to get you in position with the jab so he can drop the big right hand on you. Most fighters are kept on the outside to stay just outside the jab, but fail to recognize their in the perfect range for him to nail you with the follow through. If he lands, you could be in trouble.... if he misses he falls into you with follow up punches and outworks you. When hes on top of you, he doesnt have the leverage on his shots, but you don't either and your forced to work the body because he's damn tall. so what do you do? Step back and try to reach his chin? Its a catch 22, Step back and lose your reach, trying to gain leverage on your shot. Stay on the inside and try to outwork him? not many fighters can, plus his arms are long enough that he can land those shots behind your elblows/ tie you up and lean on you and wear you down... or step back and work the uppercut (which is something he doesnt do enough of). Quick lateral movement works well against Williams.

If he used them right and in combination, his reach and his style could be very hard to beat. Aside from using the jab as a range finder, and set you up for the right hand, he could use it to press you into a corner or along the ropes and dig to the body and head in combination and still step back out of range and fire long 1,2's on you whenever you came up for air... then rinse and repeat. What Hearns had in power, Williams could do with volume.

As it is Pwill is a machine pushing forward and trying to chew up whatevers in his way. It makes him predictable and easy to out think, especially with his corner. Lateral/ in and out movement confuses him and can set up opportunities when he swarms. Step straight back and he'll kill you, but circle out and he can be caught turning on the inside. On the outside, he'll try to keep you at bay by getting you to cover up with his jab so he can get inside and tear into you. If you're a counter puncher.... especially one with good head movement...a feint, or rolled shoulder can buy you room to counter him. He showed against Martinez that can be caught in between his punches.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is def a freak of nature,always gives up his height.Used reach and fluid punching great against Margarito but for the most part he handcuffs his physical assets.Like his almost rolling punching style,one tail ending the other.Defense boo koo leaky & his chin is starting to go and once it folds it'll be a short time I believe.

Thread Information