3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HBO Protecting Khan?

HBO Protecting Amir Khan? Industry Chatter is Shocking - Boxing News

By Rick Reeno

This past Tuesday, I broke the news regarding an agreement being reached for a junior welterweight slugfest between WBA interim-champion Marcos Maidana and unbeaten Victor Cayo, which is scheduled for March 27 on HBO.

I received a shocking phone call Wednesday night from promoter Gary Shaw, who is currently in Mexico for this Saturday's Showtime card that features Edwin Valero vs. Antonio DeMarco. Shaw wanted to know if I had heard, or had any information, regarding the industry chatter with respect to the contract terms for the Maidana-Cayo fight. Prior to Shaw's phone call, I heard strange rumblings about the contract terms in question.

Shaw made a very good financial offer to Golden Boy for a fight between Maidana and WBC champion Timothy Bradley and they turned it down. He found the entire situation strange because there was good money involved, and a major title, but his curiosity was really poked when he, like me, began to hear some very strange rumors throughout the day.

From what Shaw had heard from several friends in the industry, there is a very interesting contract clause connected to the Maidana-Cayo fight. What is the clause you ask? Basically the winner has to stay away from WBA 140-pound champion Amir Khan for a period of twelve months or three fights - whichever comes first.

I'm sure some people are asking - "Why would the winner agree to that?" Well, there is a good answer for that. Several sources told BoxingScene the winner would receive a guarantee for a certain number of future HBO appearances [I heard at least two dates] and they don't come easy these days.

I decided to call several people insiders, and sure enough, everyone had heard the same exact thing.

One major promoter told BoxingScene.com - "I can't believe HBO is negotiating step-asides for Amir Khan. Are they a network or a promotional company?"

Another major promoter said - "Why are you surprised? Do you really think Golden Boy Promotions and HBO want Khan to lose any time soon? Look at Khan's fight with Marquez. Both of them are with Golden Boy and you can see the favoritism for Khan to win in their comments to the press. They did the same thing to Barrera and that's why he left."

Shaw doesn't know if the industry chatter is true, but everyone is talking about it. From my end, I called several promoters and well-connected managers and all of them had knowledge of these rumors. You know the old saying - where there's smoke, there's fire.

"It's very strange. I tried to make a fight for Bradley with Maidana and Amir Khan. They both refused which is highly unusual because there was good money involved and they would fight the number one junior welterweight in the world for the WBC title. If this is supposed to be HBO's next superstar [Khan], then how does he turn down a fight with the best 140-pounder in the world? If they don't want to fight Bradley, Vic Darchinyan is available," Shaw said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO Protecting Khan?

very strange indeed. If this is true then the punters are being taken on, yet again. Nothing would surprise me in boxing these days except a genuine,bonafide bill with several legit title fights

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think people are being to harsh on Khan here, everyone going on as if he is fighting some fucking bum, he is fighting Marquez ffs. At this moment Khan is a slight 8/11 fav, not exactly a walk in the park is it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shaw's bitching because Golden Boy don't wanna deal with him

Maidana is ducking Bradley according to Shaw. Where's the headline story for that? Why isn't there a thread on it? Maidana DUCKS Bradley!!!

Khan-Marquez pisses all over Khan-Maidana/Bradley. Maidana/Bradley are nobodies compared with Khan/Marquez. Simple as.
    Last edited by Fenster; 02-04-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The idea that Khan is being considered a somebody by anyone is quite bizarre by itself. Khan has beaten one name opponent by virtue of a headbutt and extremely questionable officiating. Bradley should really be far more widely known than he is because he is an excellent fighter and getting better fight by fight. A Khan/Marquez fight will sell in the states mainly off of the name of Marquez. Khan still is still pretty much a nobody outside of the UK, and his record is full of nobodies outside of a paper belt and the best display of headbutting I have ever seen. I really hope an old Marquez busts him up because I find all the talk and empty hype quite nauseating.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    The idea that Khan is being considered a somebody by anyone is quite bizarre by itself. Khan has beaten one name opponent by virtue of a headbutt and extremely questionable officiating. Bradley should really be far more widely known than he is because he is an excellent fighter and getting better fight by fight. A Khan/Marquez fight will sell in the states mainly off of the name of Marquez. Khan still is still pretty much a nobody outside of the UK, and his record is full of nobodies outside of a paper belt and the best display of headbutting I have ever seen. I really hope an old Marquez busts him up because I find all the talk and empty hype quite nauseating.
    Dont' forget he also beat Oisin Fagan, who has been in with Kid Thunder
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: HBO Protecting Khan?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Dont' forget he also beat Oisin Fagan, who has been in with Kid Thunder

That does it then, I'm on the bandwagon!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How many nobodies get HBO dates and Golden Boy signing them?

If Khan is a nobody then guys like Bradley are complete non-entities. He headlines in 1,500 seat venues.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joking aside, I have no issues with Khan at all. I don't get why he gest so much grief. Maybe now he has moved away from Warren people will give him more of a break.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: HBO Protecting Khan?

Joking aside, I have no issues with Khan at all. I don't get why he gest so much grief. Maybe now he has moved away from Warren people will give him more of a break.
    No. I want him dead. I want his family dead. I want his friends dead. I want his pets dead and his pets friends dead.

Is this wrong of me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the best display of headbutting I have ever seen.
    Just curious...

Was the reason for you posting this statement just to see how many posters will see how straight stupid you sound in posting this?

Best of display of headbutting you've ever seen? Show me any part of the fight with where Khan intentionally butted your Latin Lover?

Btw, have you ever heard of Evander Holyfield? You might want to save your headbutting comments for him as he was the King.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at all the Khan threads.

He's getting shit for trying to make a fight with Marquez

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

If Khan is a nobody then guys like Bradley are complete non-entities. He headlines in 1,500 seat venues.
    They see a fighter with support = money for GBP. This is all.

you are my least favourite mod, next to Saddo.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post

They see a fighter with support = money for GBP. This is all.

you are my least favourite mod, next to Saddo.
    Yes money is what boxing is all about. If guys like Bradley or Maidana could get recognised in their own street, they too would get HBO dates and the big sell

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Shaw's bitching because Golden Boy don't wanna deal with him

Maidana is ducking Bradley according to Shaw. Where's the headline story for that? Why isn't there a thread on it? Maidana DUCKS Bradley!!!

Khan-Marquez pisses all over Khan-Maidana/Bradley. Maidana/Bradley are nobodies compared with Khan/Marquez. Simple as.
    Only in ratings and notoriety. Bradley is BY FAR the most accomplished fighter at 140 right now. BY FAR. Maidana v. Bradley at 140 is much more significant for the division than Khan v. Marquez. Marquez hasn't even ever fought at 140 and Khan hasn't fought anyone in the top ten in the division at 140. Be real.

Fenster, it's ok we understand you are a Khan nut-hugger. But, fact is fact, Khan is being protected.

Thread Information