Thread: Is 24 too old to start boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is 24 too old to start boxing?

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Have some amateur bouts locally first, you can fight as an amateur until 39 I believe....If it goes well you will know after 5 or 6 fights if it's for you...

The only thing I wonder about is you mentioned you trained MMA so what kind of bad habits did you pick up there? Not saying MMA is a bad thing just it is very different in the striking terms and at 24 it is hard to change physical habits learned....EG- Dirty boxing and traditional boxing are worlds apart...

As for the flinching when about to or are being hit that goes away with time, the more you relax and get used to being in the ring the more you will become accustomed to the movement and will not be so gun shy...

But if your going to make a run at it I would say start soon if you are going to make a real try at it...If it is just for recreation then you can fight local now and again for who knows how long
    very good point there daxx

boxings a whole different ball game, you wont be allowed to hold and punch, throw rabbit punches or be allowed to use any kind of force with your stomach in the clench.

Boxing uses very conventional methods as opposed to mixed martial arts
    one dangerous horrible bloke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give it a go mate, if you have the dedication and passion you have already conquered one of the biggest hurdles. I saw a sign on the wall of the MMA gym I attended last week that read .....

"When you get good at making excuses, it's very difficult to become good at anything else.....".

Never a more a true a word spoken.
    Some people say boxing is a matter of life or death, it's not, it's far more important than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Have some amateur bouts locally first, you can fight as an amateur until 39 I believe....If it goes well you will know after 5 or 6 fights if it's for you...

The only thing I wonder about is you mentioned you trained MMA so what kind of bad habits did you pick up there? Not saying MMA is a bad thing just it is very different in the striking terms and at 24 it is hard to change physical habits learned....EG- Dirty boxing and traditional boxing are worlds apart...

As for the flinching when about to or are being hit that goes away with time, the more you relax and get used to being in the ring the more you will become accustomed to the movement and will not be so gun shy...

But if your going to make a run at it I would say start soon if you are going to make a real try at it...If it is just for recreation then you can fight local now and again for who knows how long
    very good point there daxx

boxings a whole different ball game, you wont be allowed to hold and punch, throw rabbit punches or be allowed to use any kind of force with your stomach in the clench.

Boxing uses very conventional methods as opposed to mixed martial arts
    Hard thing to break...Even in boxing once you train a certain way for so long hard to change....

.Had a guy who was a kick boxer for abt 3 years and he took up boxing...Again good hands, nice head movement....Then in his first fight he gets caught with a hard straight right that wobbles him...So what does he do?

On instinct he throws a kick to the head with out thinking and knocks the other guy out cold and gets dq'd.....

Thread Information