User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Abner Mares

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Abner Mares

I've really liked Abner Mares for awhile, i think he's really skilled and i've been keeping my eye on him since 2007. I actually once said in a thread he could become a major star, at the lower weightclasses.

But after his win against Diosdado Gabi, he seemed to fall of the radar for a bit. But i've recently just checked up on him, and i see he has a fight against Yonnhy Perez in May for the IBF Bantamweight title.

Finally a fight for him to get some exposure, i really hope he does well. He seems to have a good attitude and very solid boxing basics.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Abner Mares

He seemed to really stagnate after splitting with Nacho to me. I also had high hopes for him, but having seen him more recently I reckon that Perez will have him up.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perez has done nothing but beat top competition recently. I think Mares might be in too deep here. I agree with Jaz splitting with Nacho has put the ebrake on his rise.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

ICB Guest

I agree with you guys about Yonnhy Perez, i see his last two fights. And i was impressed, Silence Mabuza is a pretty decent fighter. And he stopped him in good fashion, not to mention a good win over Joseph Agbeko who was fresh off his win over Vic Darchinyan.

Abner Mares may very well be out of his depth, because he hasn't ever been in with anyone. As good as Yohnny Perez, and as you guys have already stated, the split with Nacho didn't help either. But im still rooting for Abner Mares to pull it off.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I was wondering what happened to Mares.

Everry time I've seen him I've been very impressed.

The kid is lighting fast and very skilled.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Yeah I was wondering what happened to Mares.

Everry time I've seen him I've been very impressed.

The kid is lighting fast and very skilled.
    Not only that, but he really goes for the KO too.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mares will beat Perez in a competitive but clear cut fight. Mares speed will be the factor. Except for the getting stopped in the 12th round part, Mares needs to work on his stamina and follow the blueprint Silence Mabuza employed. His speed and high work rate had him up going into the 12th round against Perez. Problem for Silence was he was just about on empty. Perez pressed him and got the stoppage. If Mares can avoid Mabuza's mistakes while using the same strategy, i see no reason why he can not walk out with the win

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I think Mares will beat Perez in a competitive but clear cut fight. Mares speed will be the factor. Except for the getting stopped in the 12th round part, Mares needs to work on his stamina and follow the blueprint Silence Mabuza employed. His speed and high work rate had him up going into the 12th round against Perez. Problem for Silence was he was just about on empty. Perez pressed him and got the stoppage. If Mares can avoid Mabuza's mistakes while using the same strategy, i see no reason why he can not walk out with the win
    See, I could see things like that, but I felt that Perez has also learnt some lessons from the Mabuza fight & imposed himself far better against Agbeko. I really thought Mares could have done big things, but I feel he really hasn't moved on much since splitting with Nacho. That's not the kid's fault because it was Beristain being silly about the situation, but it's hindered his growth for me. This is a big test for the kid, I'd really hope he can come through because I think he's got actual star potential.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    See, I could see things like that, but I felt that Perez has also learnt some lessons from the Mabuza fight & imposed himself far better against Agbeko. I really thought Mares could have done big things, but I feel he really hasn't moved on much since splitting with Nacho. That's not the kid's fault because it was Beristain being silly about the situation, but it's hindered his growth for me. This is a big test for the kid, I'd really hope he can come through because I think he's got actual star potential.
    It really wasn't anybodies fault. It was the eye injury which required him to undergo surgery that pretty much kept him on the sidelines far as long as he was

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post
    It really wasn't anybodies fault. It was the eye injury which required him to undergo surgery that pretty much kept him on the sidelines far as long as he was
    I meant the fact that Nacho stopped training him because of his separate dispute with Espinoza regarding Izzy & Rafa

Thread Information