Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default TV Volume Insanity!

Does anyone else notice that tv programs and movies these days have huge variances in volume levels??

The main one I noticed is obviously the difference between when your watching a show or movie through a television channel, but then suddenly it cuts to ad's and the volume is like twice the volume! In fact sometimes it's even three times the volume.... In this day and age they could EASILY normalize the volume between the two things for the viewer comfort... But Obviously their number one aim is to blast advertisements in your face at the expense of your viewing experience... I find myself turning the volume up and down on my television 100's of times a night because i'm watching something, then suddenly I realize ad's are on and they are blasting the hell out of my ears...

One invention/feature I would REALLY love televisions to have these days in response to that, is a button on the remote that can turn the volume down + or + 10 points with each single press.. For a regular show I have the volume at about 35 but during an advertisement I have to bring it down to about 22 for it to not be offensive to my ears..

But another one I just noticed, and I don't know if this is just my tv/dvd setup, but when I watch movies on my PS3, I have to turn the volume up to like 50 out of 80 to hear people speak... I don't know why it has to go up so loud compared to normal TV... But the worst part is, the voice tracks in movies seems to be getting lower and lower, but the music and sound effects are INCREDIBLY loud... I was watching a movie "sorority row" last night, and I literally had to turn it up to 58 just to hear the talking which was really low and muffled.. BUT when there was a scene where there was music, and scenes where there was killing, it almost exploded the speakers on my tv and I had to go all the way down to 25 to make it barable.... Then as soon as that noisy scene was over, I literally could not hear a single word the people were speaking and had to double the volume...

I just think, don't they have people who actually test these things out before they release them, and realise that you to hear the people speaking, you have to turn the movie right up, but have the sh!t blasted out of your ears the second "something different" happens, or alternatively have your hand on the volume and turn it up and down 50 times during the movie depending on the scenes.. it's really ridiculous...

Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Or am I just turning into an old fart with sensitive ears?? I'm open to it being the latter, although I would like to have someone come in and save me with their own tales of volume woe..
    Last edited by Dizaster; 04-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: TV Volume Insanity!

I notice changes in volume between channels, but not on the same channel. I've had the same sound issues but with GTA4 on the PS3 recently. The scenes are too quiet so I turn up the volume a bit and then when it cuts back to the driving and radio it is far too loud. I'm constantly going up and down with the volume on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A very Aussie thing Diz, I reckon it's so you hear the ads as you go away to make a coffee or take a piss, that way tyey can still flog you shit !!
    I have had a few people from the UK pick up on it, gets more annoying when you have a kid that has just gone to sleep then the ads come blaring on !
    Never noticed it anywhere I have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

UK channels have been fined for doing just this.
    The idea is to grab your attention, or wake up those who have fallen asleep.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i never watch adverts, record everything on my virgin box so can whizz past the annoying bstard things

i noticed channel 5 doing these annoying adverts for future programmes at bottom of the screen when i am watchin me programmes, copying the bloody yanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    i never watch adverts, record everything on my virgin box so can whizz past the annoying bstard things

i noticed channel 5 doing these annoying adverts for future programmes at bottom of the screen when i am watchin me programmes, copying the bloody yanks
    I work in the TV industry, and if that annoys you......you aint seen nothing yet.
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate that especially if you nodding on on the sofa... Channel 5 is the worst for it.

They do it on purpose as a lot of people leave the room quickly while the ads are on and the volume goes up so you can still hear it.

True story that!

Anyone need any random mind numbing boring facts answered don't hesitate to PM me

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They should be banned for doing it. There is no need to ramp up the volume to hear a shite commercial.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Happens with commercials for the Cable compant here.Ironic ehh.Also political adds and local company ads.Read that they will be issuing fines for it in future.Thought at first it was lack of editing and poor quality but very smooth how they do it...the Carnival barker method brought right into out living rooms.Pretty cheap crap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    They do it on purpose as a lot of people leave the room quickly while the ads are on and the volume goes up so you can still hear it.
    Bingo.

I think the sound change in movies started with the whole surround sound craze. Maybe when you have a nice hook up it all sounds just right.

?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post

I work in the TV industry, and if that annoys you......you aint seen nothing yet.
    oh fk

tell me more

Thread Information