Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Malignaggi going to welterweight, and Italy

Paulie is going up to welterweight, and plans to fight in Italy. He wants to fight for Italian welterweight title and possbly the European title.

Malignaggi planning to continue career in Italy - ESPN

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi going to welterweight, and Italy

he has no future at WW. He will get destroyed in his first big fight. He should have attempted lightweight, assuming he can make that weight of course, since he could even be the best light weight in the world right now.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See the end for Paulie,actually started feeling bad for the dude halfway through Khan fight.Slower legs,higher weight and no fire power but with willing heart a very bad combination.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well it's not a bad route for him because on the world level he's just a gatekeeper at 140. He could probably outquick a lot of people in Europe before a giant clash with Souleymane Mbaye.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by amat View Post
    Well it's not a bad route for him because on the world level he's just a gatekeeper at 140. He could probably outquick a lot of people in Europe before a giant clash with Souleymane Mbaye.

Mbaye? He'll probably lose this weekend so that posibility is gone. Honestly, he wont go anywhere at 147 or 140. He could be a champ at lighgtwieght or a gatekeaper at 140

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't meant to be literal, just that's the type of role Paulie's going to play now or he could just fight other italians. Maybe he'll fight Randall Bailey, that would be fun. Unless Juan Diaz picks up a belt again I really doubt he's winning any sort of title at 135.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It wasn't meant to be literal, just that's the type of role Paulie's going to play now or he could just fight other italians. Maybe he'll fight Randall Bailey, that would be fun. Unless Juan Diaz picks up a belt again I really doubt he's winning any sort of title at 135.
    Why not ? Who would beat him at 135? Marquez is old. Katsidis would be a even matchup for sure, and I still would favour Paulie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gest12645 View Post
    he has no future at WW. He will get destroyed in his first big fight. He should have attempted lightweight, assuming he can make that weight of course, since he could even be the best light weight in the world right now.

Good shout he lacks power at light welter so why he thinks he can hold his own at WW is beyond me. He has some nice skills but his style wont do him any favours at the higher weight. He might get a few wins at european level thanks to his experience of the big world title fights but i too believe he would have been far better suited dropping down to Lightweight.

He knows he aint as quick as he was but the little power he does have will be far more effective if he moves down.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Re: Malignaggi going to welterweight, and Italy

What are you basing this off? You really think Marquez would lose to Malignaggi at a weight 3 pounds lower then I ever remember Paulie fighting? He only fought Diaz at 138 both times. He has no track record at 135, he's obviously not going to regain quickness by moving down in weight, only up. His defense is not what it was made out to be, he takes himself out of position to much by keeping his hands so low. He beat Diaz purely on the feet. He was able to pitterpat 1 or 2 shots together and get out of there before Diaz could set his feet to throw. It was smart but it isn't something that will work against any other top guy at 135 but Diaz.

Paulie is being honest with himself, he doesn't feel he can make 140 anymore and yet he would be the best lightweight in the world? It's not even possible and even if he was you think he's a better fighter then Marquez, Guerrero, Soto, Funeka, Peterson ect.? I don't think so.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What are you basing this off? You really think Marquez would lose to Malignaggi at a weight 3 pounds lower then I ever remember Paulie fighting? He only fought Diaz at 138 both times. He has no track record at 135, he's obviously not going to regain quickness by moving down in weight, only up. His defense is not what it was made out to be, he takes himself out of position to much by keeping his hands so low. He beat Diaz purely on the feet. He was able to pitterpat 1 or 2 shots together and get out of there before Diaz could set his feet to throw. It was smart but it isn't something that will work against any other top guy at 135 but Diaz.

Paulie is being honest with himself, he doesn't feel he can make 140 anymore and yet he would be the best lightweight in the world? It's not even possible and even if he was you think he's a better fighter then Marquez, Guerrero, Soto, Funeka, Peterson ect.? I don't think so.
    Like I was saying, ASSUMING Paullie made lightweight I believie he'd beat most guys in the wieght class. Yup. hed beat Funrka, Soto ,Peterson, and mabe Marquez when he gets old. Only guy Id pick against him is Gierroro

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be interesting to see, but imo Funeka would put the hammer down worse on Paulie then he did Zahir Raheem. With as low as Paulie holds his hands Funeka would just be firing over the top of him. Soto maybe I don't know that's the only one I'd give him a chance against. Peterson would put the worst beating on him of all imo.

But still, at least going up to welterweight he will be quicker, at lightweight he would just look slower.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At least, he's realistic enough to hunt titles he knows he might be able to win and Italy is a damn nice country... I think it's not that much of a bad idea for him if he seeks a couple more fights he can win under a nice sun.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Malignaggi going to welterweight, and Italy

I honestly think Malignaggi has gone as far as he can go i just think if he is to continue fighting he would be better off at lightweight. I'm a big fan but Khan was busting him up and despite holding the WBA belt he is largely untested. He is very lucky to be where he is after Prescott he has jumped ahead of himself. Khan is relatively inexperienced Malignaggi has been in bigger fights against better opposition but did not have the power to hold his own, he was lucky to be in against khan and not a bigger hitter.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I havent really seen much of Paulie other than clips here and there and the Hatton fight but how would he do against this version of Morales at welter? Or whatever weight Morales is fighting at next?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post

I honestly think Malignaggi has gone as far as he can go i just think if he is to continue fighting he would be better off at lightweight. I'm a big fan but Khan was busting him up and despite holding the WBA belt he is largely untested. He is very lucky to be where he is after Prescott he has jumped ahead of himself. Khan is relatively inexperienced Malignaggi has been in bigger fights against better opposition but did not have the power to hold his own, he was lucky to be in against khan and not a bigger hitter.
    I agree with this. Paulie won't amount to much at WW, he won't beat anyone meaningful and his lack of defence and obviously lack of power will be even more telling. He lost a few pounds to fight Diaz first time out and clearly isn't a big guy. He can likely make LW, and I would imagine he might have more success there. WW is too far for a smallish guy with no punch. Strange decision by Paulie.

Thread Information