Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default James Toney v Randy Couture

There is a UFC poster showing an upcoming fight between Toney and Couture in August.

Heres some recent photos of Toneys UFC training and he looks pumped like the first Holyfield fight again. Dont want to accuse him of anything but hes been caught a couple of times already

JAMES "LIGHTS OUT" TONEY

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney v Randy Couture

Those pic made Toney look even fatter than he is Randy takes this one ground and pound baby! Joe Rogan asked Randy if he was going to take it to the ground his reply...........YEAH ARE YOU STUPID?
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad he is taking this serious but Randy Coture? Unless Toney catches Randy with a real big shot standing up he will be limited in success in this fight....Toney better stop worring about mugging for pics and start picking up on cardio because Coture can go 5 5min HARD rounds....There are no ways to rest in the cage like in boxing...no laying on the ropes just waiting to counter etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate Toney but I think he will pick Randy apart.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney hate for roadwork has been widely documented. He did well in the ring because of his upper body movement. His legs wont hold him up for a five minute round if he doesn't whittle his middle and get that road work in.
    The way it looks now, Randy can come in low and take Toney to the ground anytime he wants. They are counting on Toney's strength to be a factor. They're also working that knee it appears. Maybe hoping to catch Randy on the way in. (which could happen if he were to come in straight, but I don't think it will) wouldn't be surprised to see a wrestling clinic before a ground and pound. It's a shame that Randy doesn't chop at your legs all the much. Theres so many ways Toney could be dismantled in this fight.

Not saying any boxer would suffer the same, but a guy that doesn't like to move his feet and counts on upper body movement will be a sitting duck in an MMA fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    Toney hate for roadwork has been widely documented. He did well in the ring because of his upper body movement. His legs wont hold him up for a five minute round if he doesn't whittle his middle and get that road work in.
    The way it looks now, Randy can come in low and take Toney to the ground anytime he wants. They are counting on Toney's strength to be a factor. They're also working that knee it appears. Maybe hoping to catch Randy on the way in. (which could happen if he were to come in straight, but I don't think it will) wouldn't be surprised to see a wrestling clinic before a ground and pound. It's a shame that Randy doesn't chop at your legs all the much. Theres so many ways Toney could be dismantled in this fight.

Not saying any boxer would suffer the same, but a guy that doesn't like to move his feet and counts on upper body movement will be a sitting duck in an MMA fight.

Agreed on all counts but at this stage what Randy does as the norm and what Randy is capable of are 2 different things....IMO Rany can change his game enough for any MMA fighter....Toney is one of my all time favorite fighters but they are 2 different sports....I would say the same thing if an MMA fighter was tryinjg to step in and take on lets say Hopkins for his first boxing match...Sure both full contact sports but of s different type

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

Agreed on all counts but at this stage what Randy does as the norm and what Randy is capable of are 2 different things....IMO Rany can change his game enough for any MMA fighter....Toney is one of my all time favorite fighters but they are 2 different sports....I would say the same thing if an MMA fighter was tryinjg to step in and take on lets say Hopkins for his first boxing match...Sure both full contact sports but of s different type
    Agreed.......reggie bush may be good at football, but who gives a crap how he'd fare at rugby. The comparison between the two sports and toney fighting in mma is just plain all around retarded. He'll get his ass kicked just as he should and then what......give it a shot at kickboxing too ??!! Why not, aren't they close enough to being the same too.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

Agreed.......reggie bush may be good at football, but who gives a crap how he'd fare at rugby. The comparison between the two sports and toney fighting in mma is just plain all around retarded. He'll get his ass kicked just as he should and then what......give it a shot at kickboxing too ??!! Why not, aren't they close enough to being the same too.
    Ha ha I remember ol Tex Cobb as a kickboxer had like 80 something wins

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Vitor Belfor also tried his hand at boxing and didn't do so well.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thinmk he only had like 1 or 2 fights against no bodies at home in Brazil...I know Jake Shields boxed so did KJ Noons but against no one special

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Vitor Belfor also tried his hand at boxing and didn't do so well.
    He is 1-0-0
    KO 1
    I'd say it was ok
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vitor Belfort

Ehhh he didn't do so badly I suppose. But He fought a guy who'd never fought.

James Toney is fighting a guy who has never done anything but fight.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney reckons after this he is fighting Haye in October??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Toney reckons after this he is fighting Haye in October??
    wouldnt surprise me, haye dont wanna take on any real competition

saying that toney might beat haye?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a really stupid imo. Don't get me wrong I'll watch for sure but I don't see this being fun and it's potentially embarassing for the UFC is Toney did win.

I would have much rather seen Toney in with Kimbo Slice, that is a great fight imo and a much better introduction into MMA for Toney than going from no experience to fighting one of the Hall of Famers, seems an absurd matchup.

Can you imagine Randy going into boxing and in his first pro fight fighting James Toney? My guess is he'd be slaughtered, and for the UFC not to suffer embarrassment Randy needs to destroy Toney.

If Toney was able to win the UFC would be left with a huge amount of egg on its face. Of course he is very unlikely to win, which I guess is why Randy is facing him, but a matchup with Kimbo makes more sense imo.

It's not really an embarrassing fight then, you have a former world class all time great boxer, but old, fat and in a sport he's never practice, versus a street fighter who isn't really good but has a large fanbase and a slightly better ground game than Toney I assume.

I think that would be a competitive fight this current matchup blows though. Either James hits a home run in the first few seconds and ends it or he's forced onto the ground and sat on until Randy can force a submission.

Thread Information