Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Purses vs MMA Purses

The main event guys earned half a mil. The rest of the card almost certainly made less than half a mil between them.

Here's actual numbers from a previous event :

According to information provided Monday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the UFC paid the 18 fighters on the card a total of $407,000 US - with $250,000 of that going to light-heavyweight champion Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell for stopping Brazil's Renato "Babalu" Sobral in 95 seconds in the main event. Sobral earned $21,000.

mmauniverse.com

So that's a million to pay the fighters, let's say another two million to cover promotional costs, this is way over the top but let's say two. That's three million.

The gate would have been over three million. There would have been millions more from sponsorship. The event makes a profit before you count a dollar from TV. US PPV, let's say a million buys at $40 a time, that's $40 million. Half that with the TV companies and that's $20 million. Then you've got foreign TV rights, millions more on top of the $20 mil. UFC is a private company and doesn't have to release numbers but it's clear who's making all the money here and it isn't the fighters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    I saw the Lesnar Carwin fight and it was shite!!

No wonder theyre paid fuuck all!

Lesnar wobbled everywhere and tried for "takedowns" but got thrown around like a rag doll then laid in the fetal position on the floor for a couple of minutes, absolutely clueless as to what to do.

Then you have the other fat fuucker sat on top of him throwing very slow and week punches until his total lack of fitness showed.

I thought the ref was going to stop it in the first, lesnar literally gave up and didnt want to know. Iv seen these fights stopped for much less. As pathetic as the punches were, Lesnar gave up and did nothing!!

They dont deserve any more money than this, if they cant even fight properly and dont have any stamina they arent going to make much of a spectacle worth paying for
    Don't Sugar Coat it Ross tell us how you feel about it all Really
    The fight was pathetic. One lumbering fool beat up another who didnt want to fight in the first round.

The lumbering fool that was actually working got tired because he was fat and out of shape then the one that didnt want to fight and hadnt done much basically laid down again but this time he choked him

Its not exciting to watch at all! Youll never see a back and forth battle like Barrera v Morales
    Oh I agree on that point I was just kiddin with ya about the tell us how you really feel....But like any sport though that has full contact the fans look to heavyweights for the knockouts and can care less about the skill level;...This is why hwts even in Boxing have gone to shit.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    The main event guys earned half a mil. The rest of the card almost certainly made less than half a mil between them.

According to information provided Monday by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the UFC paid the 18 fighters on the card a total of $407,000 US - with $250,000 of that going to light-heavyweight champion Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell for stopping Brazil's Renato "Babalu" Sobral in 95 seconds in the main event. Sobral earned $21,000.

mmauniverse.com

So that's a million to pay the fighters, let's say another two million to cover promotional costs, this is way over the top but let's say two. That's three million.

The gate would have been over three million. There would have been millions more from sponsorship. The event makes a profit before you count a dollar from TV. US PPV, let's say a million buys at $40 a time, that's $40 million. Half that with the TV companies and that's $20 million. Then you've got foreign TV rights, millions more on top of the $20 mil. UFC is a private company and doesn't have to release numbers but it's clear who's making all the money here and it isn't the fighters.
    My man it cost more then 3 million just to insure one of those cards

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And after all those expenses, uncle Sam is going to take a cut of that pie like it was his favorite. And even a few years later he'll want seconds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Supprised that the ufc fighters get so little copmaired to top boxers.

As I think sombody has already mentioned they seem pleased just to be fighting in the ufc and not bothered they may be getting less than there boxing brothers.
    Balls

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut View Post
    Last week's Lesner vs Carwin fight had been referred to as the biggest MMA fight ever.

Lesner earned $475,000
    Carwin earned $ 40,000

It's funny when you compare this to De La Hoya vs Maywhether

ODLH earned approx $66,000,000
    Maywhether earned approx $44,000,000
    ... Really?? If it's true, it's really nothing, especially if you consider that MMA fighters have often up to 4-5 different coaches they do work with..

Many factors in this tbf.

MMA is not as popular as boxing therefor the PPV numbers are not going to be as high, plus UFC is free for UK viewers if you have ESPN, never had to pay for a UFC card yet. Dana White loves money and pays peanuts compared to big time boxers. Also consider the amount of top bouts that are on a UFC fight card compared to a main event boxing card.

Dana can get away with paying what he feels the fighters are worth as UFC has the highest global appeal. Most MMA fighters see the UFC as the pinnacle of cage fighting and thats where they want to compete ( bar a few names ) so they will take whats on offer more than not.

Personally i never forsee MMA fighters ever getting as much as the likes of the De La Hoya's of the this world.
    Has nothing to do with Dana White...Has to do with the whole Payroll comes off the UFC and no one else....If they were paying fighters $3,000,000 a bout they would go broke...Take how many fighters they have....Take how many elite fighters exist in the UFC
    which is about 80% because they are the best of the best in MMA every fighter espires to make it there and get a contract.....

In boxing the purses to be paid are split between promoters one guy does not pay it all....

On the other hand in MMA lets say Brock made 475,000...plus his sponsor payments, plus other sponsorship payments, plus PA fees....he made jst abt a cool million for the fight.......MMA fighters don't pay the high training camp feesw regular fighters do they train with the guys they train with every day...They dont pay every guy they train with...these guys spend gym time together upcoming fight or not......

One day the purses will be bigger right now just not possible.......

As for Dana White as much as he likes money he knows he cant make money withoput the fighters....The fighters will walk to Japan ASAP if they feel fucked and Dana will be AOL......

Come on it has loads to do with Dana White, he is the man behind UFC, it's the Feritta brothers ( probs spelt wrong )that have Zuffer and the money men as such, but if it wasnt for Dana UFC would have been on their arses long time ago.

Everything else ya say i agree with tho
    Your missing the point...NO it has NOTHING to do with Dana White....If boxing only had 1 promoter it would be the same thing.....

THE MONEY IS NOT THERE TO PAY THE SAME AS THE ELITE BOXERS!!!!!!!!

EG- If you have only 1 well to drink from and there are 25,000 people looking for drinks everyone has to get a portioned amount or the well runs dry....

You cant let everyone have all they want can you? Doesn't matter who owns the well when its empty its empty.............

If they all made hundreds of thousands and millions they would run dry quick...They can't pay what they dont have.....If you think the UFC has the individual finances of Golden Boy, DKP or Arum your mistaken greatly!!!!!!! Those promoters can't affoard the paydays alone

Boxing has no less they 20 major promoters in the world that work together on events to raise funds for these mega paydays...they don't do it alone........

As fars as the DLH/PBF paydays those were not flat purses that was what each MIGHT I stress MIGHT have made off the bouts those are not positive guarenteed earnings for each anyone who takes those numbers from the media and believe it in stone needs to buy the bridge in Brooklyn I own.....

Those numbers also reflect the PPV%, gate%, promotional expenses paid for appearences, portion of broadcasting etc through the promotion companies they take part in..Those numbers are not flat purses...If that was the case these guys would be making upwards of 75,000,000 per fight

Daxx dont get me wrong I agree with all ya saying. It's Dana White that controls the purse strings regards to who gets paid what. So yes Dana has alot to do with who gets paid what in the UFC, HE makes the fights and awards the purse, he states what a fighter gets paid.

I dont believe at any point i said the UFC have the money GBP or Top rank have so i cannot understand your statement
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

one good thing about the ufc though is that the fighters may get short changed but the fans dont.

Even though I am a boxing fan through and through I got to admit your avarge ufc show has more action fight by fight than your avarge ppv boxing show.
    Balls

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    one good thing about the ufc though is that the fighters may get short changed but the fans dont.

Even though I am a boxing fan through and through I got to admit your avarge ufc show has more action fight by fight than your avarge ppv boxing show.
    Agreed

Followed both sports since i was about 14-15, boxing being my 1st love, but UFC / MMA for me is a better watch than most big time boxing matches nowadays. The more ya watch the greater the appreciation ya have for the technacalities of each facet of the game.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mmauniverse.com

They'd insure the event for more than three mil but the premium would only be a fraction of what they insure the event for. Insurance costs aren't exactly near the top of the list of promoters' expenses.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post

And thats where the problem lies.

UFC fights are many and frequent.

Top boxers might fight once or twice a year if we are lucky and then spend months before that travelling and promoting the fight.

Boxing promoters are second to none at generating excitment and therefore money. Take the Haye vs Valuev fight. One fight made a man and made that man very rich. All through the powers of promotion.

It always amazes me just how boxing has sustained itself, it never really seems like a business model that would make money off of anyone but the hardcore fans. Yet it makes some of the richest sports people around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mmauniverse.com

They'd insure the event for more than three mil but the premium would only be a fraction of what they insure the event for. Insurance costs aren't exactly near the top of the list of promoters' expenses.
    You need have either cash or Collateral up front and you need pay card by card basis for fight ins you are confused with Auto, health and home ins

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the sport of mma has yet to get the cancer that is greed. But as sure as i am the sun
    will rise tomorrow this will one day happen, its called the frank warren effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People have to realize the A. Boxing has been around forever. MMA has been around what maybe 20 years? And only recently gathered a main stream audience. B. There is an MMA PPV every single month how often to you get a great boxing match? The main guys in boxing fight maybe twice a year MAYBE. So in that there is much more buildup for those bouts than you have with a MMA match. People have to stop this MMA vs Boxing garbage because I tell you what if they both came into existence at the same time MMA would be vastly more popular than boxing. I love both sports but get sick of the ridiculous debate and the constant boxing fans downing MMA and MMA fans doing the same with boxing.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Caine3078 View Post
    The main guys in boxing fight maybe twice a year MAYBE. So in that there is much more buildup for those bouts than you have with a MMA match.
    How many times did the main draws of MMA, Lesner and GSP fight last year?

I tell you what if they both came into existence at the same time MMA would be vastly more popular than boxing.
    And this, based on what other then pure speculation, your magic eight ball?

I love both sports but get sick of the ridiculous debate and the constant boxing fans downing MMA and MMA fans doing the same with boxing.
    while I'm boxing first, MMA 2nd, as far as interests go, I agree. They are two entirely different sports with different fan bases that don't necessarily overlap as much as people think. They can survive together, separately, and independent of one another. And learn a few things from each other along the way.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 07-09-2010 at 09:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The main guys in boxing fight maybe twice a year MAYBE. So in that there is much more buildup for those bouts than you have with a MMA match.
    How many times did the main draws of MMA, Lesner and GSP fight last year?
    What you fail to realize is Lesnar and GSP are not the only MAIN draws MMA. They have Several.

Machida
    Rampage
    Big Nog
    Anderson Silva
    BJ Penn
    Shogun
    Fedor
    Dan Henderson
    Randy Couture

In boxing right now as far as MAIN draw guys the guys that can really bring in the money there are only two Manny and Floyd. Yes lesser boxers do make more money then the main guys of MMA and thats because the sport has been around longer and has more of an established audience. MMA is still a relatively new sport and is growing.

Thread Information