Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James Toney UFC interview .He sounds punch drunk to me?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney UFC interview .He sounds punch drunk to me?

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Alot of people think its a foregone conclusion but why isnt James capable of this?

The reason Liddel was able to land that punch was because Randy was unable to take Chuck down or force him to the cage. The one thing Chuck Liddel had in spades was a world class takedown defence.
    Unfortunately James Toney cannot.

The fight starts standing up. From the time the fight starts to whenever Couture decides to grapple with Toney, he will have to walk in like hes trying in that clip.

Its ok saying that Toney is just going to get taken down but who knows how to use distance better than Toney? A little side step here, a feint there. Then theres Toneys very sharp punches!

Cutoure doesnt really kick, he relies on his boxing and wrestling and hes getting on and probably slowing down. In fact, if Toney does pull the win off which I think he just might, then this is a genious move!

If it was the other way round and Couture was moving to boxing to fight Toney, do you think as many people would give Randy as much of a chance as Toney is getting here?

If Toney has any success here I think it proves that Boxers do have the better fundamentals for fighting and are more adaptable because they have learned the hardest parts already.

At some point in the fight, Rrandy is going to have to walk to James, like hes doing in the clip where he gets dropped by Liddell and James can easily match that. Its going to be embarrasing for MMA fans who are treating this as boxing v MMA because its all in Randys favour here. Id like to see a boxing match between the Two after Toney KO's Randy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

James toney hasn't talked well since he was six. Win or loose this fight will gain no one anything and will probably be forgotten by the next weekend. So then what will be next, toney going after a kickboxing title, that's similar to boxing too. Won't care about that either. I will give toney props for being tough and not really being scared of anyone. Plus he's pretty fu&^%in funny. If he does happen to win then i feel sorry for those that are sick of hearing his mumbling, cause it will increase 100%.
    Last edited by Mar; 08-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    James toney hasn't talked well since he was six. Win or loose this fight will gain no one anything and will probably be forgotten by the next weekend. So then what will be next, toney going after a kickboxing title, that's similar to boxing too. Won't care about that either. I will give toney props for being tough and not really being scared of anyone. Plus he's pretty fu&^%in funny. If he does happen to win then i feel sorry for those that are sick of hearing his mumbling, cause it will increase 100%.

Uhh... that would be me. Oh, but wait... I always either mute the TV or change the channel if he happens to stumble onto any sports show that I'm watching (which is not often). So... no worries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Toney will get owned.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by skel1983 View Post
    Toney will get owned.
    Yup. He's going to get embarrassed in a major way. Couture might be shot, but he's nowhere near as shot as Toney and he's competing in his sport. I'd be amazed if Toney survived half a round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

R.I.P. Julius "Sho Nuff" Carry III

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Toney was fighting someone rubbish I'd give him a punchers chance, but Randy, although past it, was and still us one hell of an MMA fighter.

I just can't see Randy being stupid enough to stand there and box and I also see Toney being stupid enough to not try and box. It wouldn't suprise me if he comes out and tries a takedown.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[QUOTE=ross;893314]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
    Chuck Liddell dominated for a few years with basic boxing. If Chuck Liddells wide slow punches can catch and drop Couture, Toneys certainly will!
    Yeah but to use boxing you have to remain on your feet. Chuck Liddell had INCREDIBLE takedown defense in his prime, and in the rare event he was taken down he had a great ability to scramble and pop up to his feet.

It remains to be seen whether Toney has these qualities...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post

Alot of people think its a foregone conclusion but why isnt James capable of this?

The reason Liddel was able to land that punch was because Randy was unable to take Chuck down or force him to the cage. The one thing Chuck Liddel had in spades was a world class takedown defence.
    Unfortunately James Toney cannot.

The fight starts standing up. From the time the fight starts to whenever Couture decides to grapple with Toney, he will have to walk in like hes trying in that clip.

Its ok saying that Toney is just going to get taken down but who knows how to use distance better than Toney? A little side step here, a feint there. Then theres Toneys very sharp punches!

Cutoure doesnt really kick, he relies on his boxing and wrestling and hes getting on and probably slowing down. In fact, if Toney does pull the win off which I think he just might, then this is a genious move!

If it was the other way round and Couture was moving to boxing to fight Toney, do you think as many people would give Randy as much of a chance as Toney is getting here?

If Toney has any success here I think it proves that Boxers do have the better fundamentals for fighting and are more adaptable because they have learned the hardest parts already.

At some point in the fight, Rrandy is going to have to walk to James, like hes doing in the clip where he gets dropped by Liddell and James can easily match that. Its going to be embarrasing for MMA fans who are treating this as boxing v MMA because its all in Randys favour here. Id like to see a boxing match between the Two after Toney KO's Randy
    That's the interesting thing about the whole bs boxing vs mma angle. If mma has taught us anything it is that it is more about the individual that the competing disciplines. This 41 year old James Toney vs 47 yearold Randy Couture...plain and simple

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Im leaning towards Toney in this fight. Ive seen Randy knocked out afew times by punches and he is yet to meet a striker like Toney who uses his hands better than anyone who has already knocked out Randy. Ive never seen James sparked.

Randy is an old man and can only have got worse since those defeats so unless he manages to get Toney down and keep him there I see it being lights out for Randy.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
    He's clear and concise in this video. In the 1st video in this thread, you need subtitles to understand what Toney was saying. Yeah he's punch drunk, there's no question about it.

Thread Information