Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: James Toney UFC interview .He sounds punch drunk to me?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default James Toney UFC interview .He sounds punch drunk to me?

Good interview,but I think Toney has taken way to many shots.

Would love him to beat Randy to shut Dana whits mouth.

Balls

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney UFC interview .He sounds punch drunk to me?

Great video. He sounds no more punchy than usual I thought it was a fun interview. Got to give credit to the interviewer, he handled James Toney far better than Jim Gray and Brian Kenney ever could

I'd love JT to do it, but I can still barely believe this fight is taking place, it's just such a bizarre matchup.

I have a feeling the fight will absolutely blow, Randy will get James on the ground and just lay on him until he quits.

I remember the Ali vs werestler fight from decades ago when the wrestler just sat on the floor and moved around on his ass like a crab. I worry it could be a similar debacle to that.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just don't get why Toney didn't respond to the Oquendo fight by trying to get straight back in there and fighting a top 10 guy. Maybe he knew himself that he didn't have it anymore. But a NC against Rahman and then Oquendo. And then a year out and a fight against Greer and nothing more?

I just much prefer Toney the boxer. I am not into this UFC stuff at all. It just seems so vulgar. Not that boxing is the height of sophistication mind.

Toney always sounds like that these days. Has done so for a good decade now. He wouldn't make a very good English teacher. I do find him hilarious though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He thinks he's guna beat Randy then have a title shot in boxing? What has he been smoking, usually Toney doesn't get to me but this time i truely hope he gets beaten up for three rounds Lucky im a Randy fan!
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing is that Toney is now really quite old. I loved watching him fight, but you have to suspect he is away from boxing for a reason. You can't tell me EVERYONE is ducking the mighty Toney who has been beating up everybody in recent years.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is Joe Rogan's take on the fight.

What he says is so true, and also fucking hilarious

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    The thing is that Toney is now really quite old. I loved watching him fight, but you have to suspect he is away from boxing for a reason. You can't tell me EVERYONE is ducking the mighty Toney who has been beating up everybody in recent years.
    Hard to believe there was a time on this very forum where people shared their opinions IN PUBLIC, for all to see and read about how James 'Lights Out' Toney could beat and maube even KO Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko.

I hope Toney wins this MMA fight, I know Dana White is out to prove that UFC is all super fantastic and different than boxing but let's face facts shall we, guys like Kimbo Slice chose MMA for a reason, boxing is nuanced and very specific and the slightest mistake can leave you out cold from a counter...in MMA there is chaos (mostly, the best fighters use strategy and stick to the science behind other martial arts) but mistakes even the big one aren't always punished and extremely flawed fighters can get lucky. I just hate the MMA stereotype and mentality, but I have grown to respect certain fighters.......all those guys punch like little girls though

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

You cant catch Brock Lesnar with a punch eh?

Well Shane Carwin did with ease and had Lesnar running away and cowering like someone whos never been punched!! Like a sissy biitch!!

Its because theer are so few genuine good boxers in the UFC that most mma fans think boxers would do nothing.

Chuck Liddell dominated for a few years with basic boxing. If Chuck Liddells wide slow punches can catch and drop Couture, Toneys certainly will!

Only very few MMA fighters do any proper boxing training, Arlovski was one and he looked very good as a striker but his chin is just shite!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Dont claim to know a lot about the UFC but Brock Lessler looked far from unbeatable in his last fight.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As much as I love James Toney, he is going to be a senile, mumbling wreck in about 10 years. The differences in his speech from when he was a middleweight to now are unbeleivable. Doesnt even sound like the same person talking.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been a James Toney fan. But then again, I'm not a UFC fan either, and I think Dana White's a jerk for trying to discredit boxing and pump up UFC. So it's a no-win situation personally for me. My wish would be for a simultaneous, devastating KO of both fighters, or.... for the A/C to break down and have only 3 fans left at the arena.

On second thought, it's not an important enough event for me to even worry about it. It probably won't even make ESPN.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This sounds good. Obviously theyre gonna talk James up but James is just such a crafty clever boxer that I cant wait to see the shock on coutures face when he cant get close to Toney because of those hands

Alot of people think its a foregone conclusion but why isnt James capable of this?

Last edited by ross; 08-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tell me about it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't put it past Toney at all. At the end of the day he is a real puncher (maybe not in boxing but definitely compared to those sissy shots in mma) and Couture has been caught with plenty of punches before off people who don't have one 5th of the striking skill of a top class boxer.

If Toney used his foot movement more I'd actually have a lot of money on him to win this fight, but the lack of foot movement will leave him open to a takedown. But at the same time the second Randy thinks about getting Macho and trying to throw a punch at Toney he WILL be countered and he will be hurt.

Someone like Roy Jones in his prime would be an ideal force for boxing to throw in IMO he hit damned hard had lightning reflexes and as he showed against Reggie Johnson when he floored him, can be stood a good distance from you one second then the next your on the floor and he's 10 feet away again, all because of a lazy jab that MMA fighters also use instead of feinting. Apparently those are feints according to the commentators lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post

Alot of people think its a foregone conclusion but why isnt James capable of this?

The reason Liddel was able to land that punch was because Randy was unable to take Chuck down or force him to the cage. The one thing Chuck Liddel had in spades was a world class takedown defence.
    Unfortunately James Toney cannot.

Thread Information