Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we begin to criticize Cotto if he fights Chavez Jr. in his next fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Do we begin to criticize Cotto if he fights Chavez Jr. in his next fight?

What's up with Cotto's carrer trajectory? He went from fighting Margarito, Clottey, and Pacquiao to fighting Foreman and Chavez Jr? Yuri Foreman is a good fighter and he showed a lot of guts in the Cotto fight, but Cotto is sitting out the rest of the year and then plans to fight Chavez Jr. Arum: If Chavez Beats Gomez, He Will Get Miguel Cotto - Boxing News That is a pretty weak schedule. It's not like Wlad where there isn't good opposition to chose from. The division is stacked: Martinez, Williams, Dzinzurik, Angulo, Margarito, Cintron, even Martirosyan, which are all tougher fights than Chavez Jr. and fight at or around that weight.

Personally, I never saw Cotto as a true junior middleweight. To me, he was even a smallish welterweight. I thought he made a convenient move up to fight a lucrative fight with Foreman and I think if he takes the Chavez Jr. fight that at this point in his career, he is making the conscious decision to take money fights, not difficult fights. I doubt we'll see him in against any of the aforementioned top junior middleweights. In my opinion, the best days of Cotto are behind him. What say you?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do we begin to criticize Cotto if he fights Chavez Jr. in his next fight?

there is probably a lot of money in fighting Chavez Jr

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Do we begin to criticize Cotto if he fights Chavez Jr. in his next fight?

Besides. Every fighter has to have a period without soooo much intensity in opposition.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

economics aside, i think it's fair to say that if cotto does fights chavez jr., he deserves criticism for this fight just as chavez jr. has gotten criticism for not stepping up the quality of his opposition.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    economics aside, i think it's fair to say that if cotto does fights chavez jr., he deserves criticism for this fight just as chavez jr. has gotten criticism for not stepping up the quality of his opposition.
    if there was no such thing as money, who do you think he should be fighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think a much more attractive fight would be a cotto/angulo fight, provided angulo gets his immigration status corrected. another one would be a cotto/cintron fight. i think cintron is vastly improved and could give him a tussle.

cotto/angulo would be a fan's dream fight, imo!

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto has fought tough oposition in his career , he is now on the slide after many tough fights.
    So taking a few easier fights doesnt mean we have to give him shit for it , he has been and i guess still is a proper fighter, real old school.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i seriously think cotto has seen his better days because simply put, he's not the same fighter anymore because he's not able to absorb the kind of pre-margarito punishment. and there is zero doubt in my mind that a chavez jr. fight would spell the end of his great career. chavez jr. is a fighter on the ascend. he's bigger, stronger and a pressure fighter like margarito.

if cotto makes the mistake and fights angulo, same thing happens. angulo would beat him up really bad. angulo is also a very hard punching pressure fighter who is the naturally bigger fighter as well.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto deserves an easy fight and refine his skills with Manny () No really let him make money because he will get beat by a legit world class fighter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by milmascaras1 View Post
    i seriously think cotto has seen his better days because simply put, he's not the same fighter anymore because he's not able to absorb the kind of pre-margarito punishment. and there is zero doubt in my mind that a chavez jr. fight would spell the end of his great career. chavez jr. is a fighter on the ascend. he's bigger, stronger and a pressure fighter like margarito.

if cotto makes the mistake and fights angulo, same thing happens. angulo would beat him up really bad. angulo is also a very hard punching pressure fighter who is the naturally bigger fighter as well.
    i actually don't disagree with this post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    What's up with Cotto's carrer trajectory? He went from fighting Margarito, Clottey, and Pacquiao to fighting Foreman and Chavez Jr? Yuri Foreman is a good fighter and he showed a lot of guts in the Cotto fight, but Cotto is sitting out the rest of the year and then plans to fight Chavez Jr. Arum: If Chavez Beats Gomez, He Will Get Miguel Cotto - Boxing News That is a pretty weak schedule. It's not like Wlad where there isn't good opposition to chose from. The division is stacked: Martinez, Williams, Dzinzurik, Angulo, Margarito, Cintron, even Martirosyan, which are all tougher fights than Chavez Jr. and fight at or around that weight.

Personally, I never saw Cotto as a true junior middleweight. To me, he was even a smallish welterweight. I thought he made a convenient move up to fight a lucrative fight with Foreman and I think if he takes the Chavez Jr. fight that at this point in his career, he is making the conscious decision to take money fights, not difficult fights. I doubt we'll see him in against any of the aforementioned top junior middleweights. In my opinion, the best days of Cotto are behind him. What say you?
    Does Cotto deserve criticism? That depends, on if you see this fight as Cotto taking a step down, or Chavez taking a step up. How is Chavez going to fight better opposition if they will be criticized just for fighting him.

I see this fight as more Chavez finally stepping up in competition than Cotto taking an easy fight. So no I won't criticize him.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post

Does Cotto deserve criticism? That depends, on if you see this fight as Cotto taking a step down, or Chavez taking a step up. How is Chavez going to fight better opposition if they will be criticized just for fighting him.

I see this fight as more Chavez finally stepping up in competition than Cotto taking an easy fight. So no I won't criticize him.
    Chavez is stepping up in competiton. Granted, I think he is seeing a Cotto that is on the slide, but even a Cotto on the slide, is a big step up in competition for Chavez. I'm not mad at Chavez for taking this fight at all. Actually, it is a great stepping-stone fight for him at this stage.

But, I guess I'm beginning to think of Cotto as just fighting now for the pay days. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that given the wars he has been through. But, if that's the case, then we should just call him for what he is, a mostly shot fighter looking for a pay day. Once again, Top Rank is doing its job as a promoter.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chavez is stepping up in competiton. Granted, I think he is seeing a Cotto that is on the slide, but even a Cotto on the slide, is a big step up in competition for Chavez. I'm not mad at Chavez for taking this fight at all. Actually, it is a great stepping-stone fight for him at this stage.

But, I guess I'm beginning to think of Cotto as just fighting now for the pay days. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that given the wars he has been through. But, if that's the case, then we should just call him for what he is, a mostly shot fighter looking for a pay day. Once again, Top Rank is doing its job as a promoter.
    how so? you're complaining about Cotto taking on Chavez Jr (when it's not even confirmed yet) when in the last 3 years he's taken on Urkal, Judah, Mosley, Gomez, Margarito, Jennings, Clottey, Pacquiao, and now Foreman back to back

yet we just sit back and don't make a peep when guys like Berto just take on Cotto's and the rest of the main players at welterweight's leftovers

he fought Pacquiao and his first fight back (with a new trainer and after the tragic death of his father) was against an able opponent who happened to have a title that he won from one of the top guys at 154 (although Santos turned up like shit, he had won back attention and praise with his fierce KO of Alcine)

he's given us enough back to back wars and deserves a chance to work on his skills with a new trainer to see if he can get a second wind in his career, i mean if he makes it a habit of just taking on second tier guys well then yea he should get criticized if he tries to pull a Mosley/Mora type scenario, but i mean give the guy a break, not every guy can be Gatti

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is simply more of Arum In-House Promotions, keeping the cash moving from one of Bobs pockets to the other.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

how so? you're complaining about Cotto taking on Chavez Jr (when it's not even confirmed yet) when in the last 3 years he's taken on Urkal, Judah, Mosley, Gomez, Margarito, Jennings, Clottey, Pacquiao, and now Foreman back to back

yet we just sit back and don't make a peep when guys like Berto just take on Cotto's and the rest of the main players at welterweight's leftovers

he fought Pacquiao and his first fight back (with a new trainer and after the tragic death of his father) was against an able opponent who happened to have a title that he won from one of the top guys at 154 (although Santos turned up like shit, he had won back attention and praise with his fierce KO of Alcine)

he's given us enough back to back wars and deserves a chance to work on his skills with a new trainer to see if he can get a second wind in his career, i mean if he makes it a habit of just taking on second tier guys well then yea he should get criticized if he tries to pull a Mosley/Mora type scenario, but i mean give the guy a break, not every guy can be Gatti

Listen, to an extent I agree. This post is probably premature. Let's see what happens with Chavez and who his next fight is against. I just have the feeling that he is now out only for the pay days and not looking for a second wind. 154 is sooooo deep. And Cotto dominated at 147. I'd like to see him continue to move up the ladder after beating a top ten guy in Foreman rather than regress in fighting Chavez Jr. It makes the Foreman fight seem more like a money fight than a statement that he was going to damage at 154.

Thread Information