Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bute to Join Super Six? In talks to sign three fight deal with Showtime.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bute to Join Super Six? In talks to sign three fight deal with Showtime.

If there is one thing that could help the sagging Super Six, it's Bute joining. Both parties benefit. Bute's team realizes that the best fights for him are against fighters in the tournament; Showtime realizes that the addition of Bute could salvage what's left of the tournament. Lucian Bute appears headed for three-fight Showtime deal - ESPN

Could be good.

On second thought, it may be that Showtime is signing him to fight the losers of the tournament and then the winner?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 11-03-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bute to Join Super Six? In talks to sign three fight deal with Showtime.

Apparently it's serious, Jean Bedard talked about it in the french medias too and now that the fight with Pavlik felt off, it sounds like a very probable option, especially because Bute doesn't want to jump to LHW yet. They are talking a 3 fights deal with 2 millions at the key for each plus some possible % if it sells well or something like that.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bute to Join Super Six? In talks to sign three fight deal with Showtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    If there is one thing that could help the sagging Super Six, it's Bute joining. Both parties benefit. Bute's team realizes that the best fights for him are against fighters in the tournament; Showtime realizes that the addition of Bute could salvage what's left of the tournament. Lucian Bute appears headed for three-fight Showtime deal - ESPN

Could be good.

For me if Bute and his charges have any sense they would stay well clear of the Super Six, and simply wait for the winner to emerge then set up a unification bout to determine the best of the division.

The only fighter coming out of this tounament with any credit so far is Ward. The others have either lost or picked up injuries. This is probably from having to fight only top names in the division continuoulsy.

Bute is currently doing the right thing by fighting others in his hometown and picking up victories, which boosts his world status, compared to the likes of Froch, Kessler etc.

The tournament does need an injection, and for me Allan Green v Glen Johnson aint it, but for Bute's sake and overall marketablity and health, he should stay clear
    Last edited by Mattyhitman; 11-03-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    For me if Bute and his charges have any sense they would stay well clear of the Super Six, and simply wait for the winner to emerge then set up a unification bout to determine the best the division.
    I agree. That would be the smart thing to do. Assuming Ward wins the Super Six...Bute-Ward would be a super fight.

Doesn't Bute have to face Jean Paul Mendy next?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post
    For me if Bute and his charges have any sense they would stay well clear of the Super Six, and simply wait for the winner to emerge then set up a unification bout to determine the best the division.
    I agree. That would be the smart thing to do. Assuming Ward wins the Super Six...Bute-Ward would be a super fight.

bute froch would be better

what a fight that would be, 2 fighters in the ring who are never in a dull fight

that is unless they fight dirrell

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFan View Post

Jean Paul Mendy is the SMW version of Dimitry Salita, way over inflated record, although he got outrageously KO'd by Bika when on the ground, he was going to get smashed and was in the middle of being smashed and Bika isn't great.

Kinda funny how Bika, who was a disgrace against Mendy and gets DQ'd, then nets a fight with Ward... Bute would absolutely demolish Mendy with hardly breaking a sweat....

In addition, I don't get how Bute can now enter the tournament, after they have told Green and Johnson that the winner goes to the semi against Ward and Ward faces Bika as a pass time fight. Surely if Bute steps in he has to face Ward as his first fight.
    Last edited by TheMacMagician; 11-03-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't see this at all. The whole super six needs to wash its hands of itself as quickly as possible and so we then can move on to interesting fights. It was a great idea and experiment that just went terribly wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From my understanding his potential deal with Showtime is not to join the Super Six, but to set up fights with the guys in it after it's all done. Probably have a tune up on showtime, then maybe a Ward fight after the SS is done.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    From my understanding his potential deal with Showtime is not to join the Super Six, but to set up fights with the guys in it after it's all done. Probably have a tune up on showtime, then maybe a Ward fight after the SS is done.
    Right. Maybe he's in line to fight the losers of the tournament and if he beats them, the winner at the end? Johnson/Green loser, then Froch or Abraham or Ward or Johnson/Green and then the winner of the whole thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I can't see this at all. The whole super six needs to wash its hands of itself as quickly as possible and so we then can move on to interesting fights. It was a great idea and experiment that just went terribly wrong.
    I agree completely. I am looking forward to Froch Abraham, and the winner facing Ward should be good, but aside from that it'll be great when it's gone...and hopefully the winner can face Bute.
    Bute joining the Super Six after all that has happened is the worst thing he could possibly do in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do find it funny how people are down on the Super Six because the best of the division are fighting the best while people are commending Bute for fighting no ones in his backyard and they are down on if Bute would join the super 6 just as they were saying months before that the Super 6 would have been better if Bute joined.

Maybe the super six has proven how hard it is to get the best in the division to fight each other in other division and even when contracts are agreed upon things fall apart.

In my opinion the Super Six was a good idea and an experiment. And people say that an elimination tournament would have been better.

But elimination tournaments really depend on the match making as one person could have an easier fight than the other, i think they want to determine who is the best having fought every 'best' in that division. But thats very difficult.

I don't even think the way they have done the super six was a bad idea except one, there was one thing that they should have changed. Majorly.

This whole decision is a point, knockout is three points etc.

Cause it encourages knockouts but not everyone in this tournament is a knockout artist and their style isn't based around it. So that means if one person gets a knockout and the rest go to decision if two other fights happen in decision the one who got the knockout is still ahead.

A better scoring strategy, is when you win you gain 2 points, when you lose, you lose one point. Which would make the score. Ward 4, Dirrell 2, Abraham 1, Froch 1, Kessler 0, Green -1.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I'm still in favour of the supersix. It makes fights happen. Although I'm not sure on Bute's involvement..? I'm not fussed either way but I think it would be smarter if he sat back then fought the winner (like James said) but then there's no gauntness that the fight could be made once the competitions over... Plus Bute's list of opponents is VERY slim outside of SS guys.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Boogie Man View Post
    Yeah I'm still in favour of the supersix. It makes fights happen. Although I'm not sure on Bute's involvement..? I'm not fussed either way but I think it would be smarter if he sat back then fought the winner (like James said) but then there's no gauntness that the fight could be made once the competitions over... Plus Bute's list of opponents is VERY slim outside of SS guys.
    If they offer him a 3 deals fight for 2 millions each + bonus depending of the PPV it's kinda hard to say no to that, especially when you have the potential to win it all (not saying he will but he has the potential to).
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    If they offer him a 3 deals fight for 2 millions each + bonus depending of the PPV it's kinda hard to say no to that, especially when you have the potential to win it all (not saying he will but he has the potential to).
    True. I missed that point
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read on espn that Showtime may have Bute fight Kessler in the middle of 2011 and then the winner of the SS. However, he is not "in" the SS.

Thread Information