Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Shoes/Boots Sizing help and suggestions

hey guys,

I was planning to order some boxing shoes tomorrow or the day after and was wondering if someone with a bit of experience can give me some advice on size. Unfortunately I cant go try em on, so I'll need to make an educated guess on my size.

Normally I wear as US Size 9.5

.. I've read some ppl say to order a size less, some ppl say order the same size, some ppl say a size more, and i've even read a few ppl saying 2-3 sizes up

I'm guessing its more or less brand specific.

So, what brand shoes do you own or have you owned, and what was the sizing like?

Also if anyone has any experience with any of the following shoes, please let me know what you thought of em as I havent made my decision yet...

or

or

or

the Rivas will cost me the least, but I'm not too fond of high tops in general, I highly doubt I'll enjoy them while training either.

the Lonsdales will cost me the most, but look damn nice.

any comments or suggestions on shoe preference and sizing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Shoes/Boots Sizing help and suggestions

I would not recommend ordering a "size less" -- mine are the same size as my street shoes. (Adidas I think but they are not here so can't check.)

There is no good reason to buy small (AFAIK) -- like with Hockey Skates which really are bought VERY SMALL to fit incredibly tight and weld your foot and ankle into them.

So the only issues I know are: You can't try them on and Manufacturers (or styles) might be a little off of standard (but in my experience, the last 10-20 years shoes in general have stabilized on pretty much all the same sizes here in the US, for me at least.)

Recommendations:

• Try going to a local store and trying them, or a similar pair, on (Academy etc if you have one -- kinda cheese to do that and buy cheap on the Internet but what the heck). Even if you can't find the exact style you may discover trends about whether YOU need to go smaller or larger in this type of shoe or with some particular manifacturer
    • Contact the manufacture (their web site maybe) and ASK how the sizes run in general for their brand and in specific for the style you will buy
    • Then do the same with the Seller of the shoes -- how to get the size right and how it will be handle if you need to change them

Between those three methods, I have been successfully buying clothes and shoes on the Internet.

Oh, and Good Luck, you may need it. <grin>
    --
    Herb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Herb, thanks for the informative post (as usual)

the only place that I got that ordering a size less thing was 'boxingdepot.com' in there sizing help section for shoes it states...

# What size should I get?

Most boxing shoes run in the same sizes as normal shoes. If you are a size 11 in running shoes, it is likely you are a size 11 in boxing shoes as well. Some fighters like to get a half size lower so the shoes are very snug and resistant to sliding around.
    also on the Rival site, for those particular shoes the sizing chart indicates that a rival size 8 = US size 9, and a rival size 9 = US size 10, etc.

but I guess that is just Rival specific and the quote from boxing depot may simply be inaccurate.

You know, I'd like to think that by 2010 shoe sizes should be completely standard, but normally I wear 9.5, but I can tell you this, Timberlands and Wallabees, I need an 8.5 and can usually even fit into an 8.

... anyways thats just my personal experience... now on to your reccomendations...

I cant go to local stores, cuz I cant find anyone that carries boxing shoes in retail stores in Toronto as odd as that is. Maybe I need to visit some of those 'specialty mma stores' that have been popping up around the city lately.

soo yea, contacting the manufacturer or seller will most likely be my best bet.

Thanks Herb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I cant go to local stores, cuz I cant find anyone that carries boxing shoes in retail stores in Toronto as odd as that is. Maybe I need to visit some of those 'specialty mma stores' that have been popping up around the city lately.

soo yea, contacting the manufacturer or seller will most likely be my best bet.
    What about Googling this with the quotes shown: "boxing shoes | boots" toronto

I see several stores advertising shoes in Toronto or GTA (you could even change it to toronto | GTA

Be sure to get info from BOTH the manufacturer AND the seller -- the manufacturer can give you the best info for FITTING their specific styles. The seller will tell you what happens IF IT GOES wrong, or how they avoid that.

Both are motivated to help you, but you need to ask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have the top everlast shoes you posted. I wear 10.5 street shoes and there a lil big. I got my boxing shoes the same size and there a lil snug.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I own the Rivals. Love em. Am a fairly mobile fighter, but have always used mids so these weren't any kind of distraction. They fit to normal size. Great support. Bit tough to get on to begin with, but feel real sturdy and never feel you're gonna roll an ankle. Best I've owned imo.

Last shoe I had were Nike (Machomais) and those need to be ordered 1 size bigger. They fit really thin. I really liked them too, nice and light and easy to break in. But when they do start to fall apart, they fall hard and fast haha. Like everything fell apart all at once.

Before that owned Adidas and they were a good shoe too. Much like the current Box hog version. Mids. Again, good mobility, okay support. And these lasted a long time. They fit pretty much same as normal shoe.

Not sure if that helps at all, but that's been my experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I own the Rivals. Love em. Am a fairly mobile fighter, but have always used mids so these weren't any kind of distraction. They fit to normal size. Great support. Bit tough to get on to begin with, but feel real sturdy and never feel you're gonna roll an ankle. Best I've owned imo.

Last shoe I had were Nike (Machomais) and those need to be ordered 1 size bigger. They fit really thin. I really liked them too, nice and light and easy to break in. But when they do start to fall apart, they fall hard and fast haha. Like everything fell apart all at once.

Before that owned Adidas and they were a good shoe too. Much like the current Box hog version. Mids. Again, good mobility, okay support. And these lasted a long time. They fit pretty much same as normal shoe.

Not sure if that helps at all, but that's been my experience.
    Hey man,

That actually helps a lot man.. it's crazy that I've spent soo much time researching boxing shoes (within my budget). I hate buyers remorse.

So I'd rather just spend the time researching and buy the right shoe and fit once, rather than regret it after.

I actually called everlast today and the lady had no idea if I should order a size bigger or not without looking at my feet lol.

I've now added another 2 shoes to my choices, and eliminated the Lonsdales..

anndd

btw, off topic, but where do you train at Young Blood. I noticed that you're in Ontario as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey guys, I ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of Asics Matflex 2.. it ended up costing me $34.

Now lets just hope they fit nice..

Thank you for your input, Herb, Gramm and Young Blood.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey The Student. That's a nice looking shoe, and great price. Best of luck with them! Trip report please once you get them and how you like em. More info shared the better imo!

To answer your question, live in Northern ON (like wayyy north), but currently traveling to T.O. and surrounding area for training for build up for winter games in Halifax. Are 8 of us + coaches and trainers etc. Just got back yest from Hamilton for a 3 day deal (it takes me 5 days with traveling 12+hrs each way ), but is totally worth it.

Where bouts are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NICE... good luck with ur training and the games man. That's big. You come down here to train every weekend? I'm down at Dewith Frazer's gym, just west of Toronto, in Mississauga.

.. and yea I'll make sure I put up a little review once I receive them and use em for a couple of weeks. Product reviews for boxing related gear is usually quite hard to find and much needed. Only problem is, that this will be my first pair of boxing (well wrestling) shoes, so I wont really have anything to compare em to.

Keep us up to date with how things are going in preparation for the winter games and good luck.

Thread Information