Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default injured.. need a bit of advice

whats goin' on guys,

I was just looking for a bit of advice on things I can do while I'm slightly injured (ribs+back). I'm sure I just need to chill for a few days, but when I start feeling a bit better, maybe I can do some conditioning work, so I dont feel like a slob by the time I can get back to training 100%. I dont think its anything major at all so I shouldn't be out for too long.

Heres what happened...

Sparring, jabs only up top, and anything goes with the body... My sparring partner threw a jab I slipped it and was returning my jab as he hit me with a clean hook to the left side of my body. I didnt go down, but he stopped as he saw that I was hurt... I was unable to speak for a few moments and couldnt really move around (my legs were basically taken from underneath me). According to him, he didnt even throw that hard, but I guess it was just well placed and well timed.

I'm guessing it's just a bruised rib. I cant take deep breaths in or exhale hard either, also hurts to blow my nose, cough, sneeze, etc. Cant bend much either or do any quick movements... Also left me with some pain in my back. Maybe I'm just being a big baby, first time getting hit with a clean shot to the body.

This was two nights ago, and was further aggravated today in a minor car accident. Snow, car spun outta control and jumped the curb going sideways... lol, anndd I immediately felt it in my back.

So anyways, I still dont think it's anything major. But I dont want to be a meat head and further injure myself. I'll probably go see a doctor monday morning and see how long he advises me to take it easy for.

But from peoples experiences here, what do you think... bruised rib, or could possibly even be fractured? how long do you suggest resting for? What are some things I can do, to pass the time without wasting it?

Any other comments or tips?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: injured.. need a bit of advice

Had a lot of injuries a long the way, but nothing ever too bad on the ribs. But as with all injuries, and I think you answered yourself, always best to go see the doc and get it looked at. I know I accidentally did that to a person (left hook into ribs) and he tried to tough it out, ended up sparring and training more before seeing the doc, to find out he had 2 fractured ribs. Sounds almost similar. But bruised ribs can be just as painful from what I'm told. I felt bad. I sure had no intention of injuring, but have been ramping up power lately and it got away at the end of a combo. Anyway, he tried to soldier on and ended up sparring other guys and kept getting hit...ended putting him out for a lot longer then if he initially would have just taken the time to heal up.

As for the back, meh, I've had so many back problems and even still do. Been through every type of dr./sports dr/physiotherapist there is, until someone finally looked at a MRI properly and said "oh hey, look at that...you got an extra lower lumbar disc. you're a mutant."

Once you get a decent diagnosis from a doc, there is a lot of good advice floating around (and bad ofc too) with ways to deal, to couple maybe with a doctors advice. Some doc don't like boxing though and can be human and rude and will tell you, "don't box, it's dumb"(but this is usually associated with head injuries...and truth is, they prob are right in a way). But so is mountain climbing, and surfing, and lots of things in life....so don't be such a wuss doc, is my general reply. Hopefully it is just a very minor thing. But right now, you are really dealing with unknowns in your injuries, and with a lot of people who aren't doctors behind their keyboards. So get that sorted imo.

I made the mistake too of trying to train and work through the pain and remained injured for far too long, when what I needed most was rest.

Cliff notes: doc and rest. Come share with us what you learned. And we learn together. And, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

go to the doc, and if you are looking for one find a sports med guy or a therapist (after seeing a doc) that woerks with or does sports. this can be hard but my chiropractor does BJJ so that helps me not have to explain why my arm got bent the opposite way it should. then do exactly as they say, if short on cash, continue all the therapy at home that you can replicate and ask the guy for advice. this should help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Had a lot of injuries a long the way, but nothing ever too bad on the ribs. But as with all injuries, and I think you answered yourself, always best to go see the doc and get it looked at. I know I accidentally did that to a person (left hook into ribs) and he tried to tough it out, ended up sparring and training more before seeing the doc, to find out he had 2 fractured ribs. Sounds almost similar. But bruised ribs can be just as painful from what I'm told. I felt bad. I sure had no intention of injuring, but have been ramping up power lately and it got away at the end of a combo. Anyway, he tried to soldier on and ended up sparring other guys and kept getting hit...ended putting him out for a lot longer then if he initially would have just taken the time to heal up.

As for the back, meh, I've had so many back problems and even still do. Been through every type of dr./sports dr/physiotherapist there is, until someone finally looked at a MRI properly and said "oh hey, look at that...you got an extra lower lumbar disc. you're a mutant."

Once you get a decent diagnosis from a doc, there is a lot of good advice floating around (and bad ofc too) with ways to deal, to couple maybe with a doctors advice. Some doc don't like boxing though and can be human and rude and will tell you, "don't box, it's dumb"(but this is usually associated with head injuries...and truth is, they prob are right in a way). But so is mountain climbing, and surfing, and lots of things in life....so don't be such a wuss doc, is my general reply. Hopefully it is just a very minor thing. But right now, you are really dealing with unknowns in your injuries, and with a lot of people who aren't doctors behind their keyboards. So get that sorted imo.

I made the mistake too of trying to train and work through the pain and remained injured for far too long, when what I needed most was rest.

Cliff notes: doc and rest. Come share with us what you learned. And we learn together. And, good luck.
    lol @ cliff notes...

But yeaman makes sense, gotta hit up the doc. See what he says. I'm sure its nothing more than a light bruise, but better safe than sorry right.

My sparring partner had no intention of hurting me either.. good friend of mine from way before boxing actually.

Btw, be careful driving down here though next weekend YB

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post

ha gee thanks. Actually, I'm taking the bus for this one. So if you hear of any crazy bus accidents, that'd be me.

My gramma is all freaking out. She came over last night with this worried look, talking about the crazy big cities and chinese gangs and stuff, then hands me this small can of mace and proceeds to show me how it works. "right in their eyes. don't forget, right in their eyes!"
    Last edited by Youngblood; 12-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post

ha gee thanks. Actually, I'm taking the bus for this one. So if you hear of any crazy bus accidents, that'd be me.

My gramma is all freaking out. She came over last night with this worried look, talking about the crazy big cities and chinese gangs and stuff, then hands me this small can of mace and proceeds to show me how it works. "right in their eyes. don't forget, right in their eyes!"
    Hope you have good aim

lol, its crazy how some ppl from smaller towns have these preconceived notions and fears about the big cities... but hey, cant blame em.. I know small town's scare the shit outta me.

anyways back on topic... lol, I still havent been to the doc.. been a bit busy, still in some pain.. but I'll survive

Thread Information