Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default The Old 1-2, revisited

I was talking to this older gentleman at my gym and I was complaining about my right hand. We talked about technique and range and eventually the discussion went to the good 'ol 1-2.

He said it sounded like my problem was this: I was trying to hit my opponent twice with both a jab and a cross. Sometimes I would land a jab and the cross would be partially blocked or slipped. I rarely got two flush shots in. He told me to jab more to the chest, and then bring the cross higher- right to the nose or forehead. My opponent would most likely parry the jab, but the right hand would be out of position for defense against the right. The jab of course if for range, but also as a distraction and a disruption to the guard.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone 'mix-up' their jab/cross combos? Is there any small body positioning/footwork variations that you use to keep you opponent off guard?

I'm trying to do new things since I usually spar with the same 3-4 guys and we are getting to know each others tendencies. Maybe this seems elementary to some of the more experienced guys...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Old 1-2, revisited

That is what boxing is all about in my opinion, the lack of weapons due to rules in boxing make it much more tactical than other combat sports and i think any martial artist can develop further in other styles just spending time boxing. because of this quick wit, boxing brain, whatever you want to call it the development it gives you tacticaly is priceless in my opinion.

Think of it like this, its rare your going to hit any decent boxer in the ring with the first shot you throw, i like to think as these shots as lures, distractions if you will for what ill be setting up next which will be the real shots with power and good placement, the first shots are to get them to favour a position where i will be waiting for them with the real damaging shots.

Same thing here the jab sets up the right hand, you could also hook off the jab. often if i find myself head hunting a bit and a mix up to the body still isnt getting through or bothering them then ill give a good straight right to the chest or shoulder areas just to hurt them, get them worried about it, maybe stop them from throwing a certain shot i dont like, let them feel that you can damage them, its a good stun, mentally itll close them down and let them know you can hurt them, and itll set up the feints properly, thats what its about with any fighter if you ask me thinking so many moves ahead as you can to land the damaging shots, once youve established shots, set out to damage them from the openings the feints will then create, better the fighter, harder it is to establish shots.

This is what i love about boxing i think it develops the brain tactically in fight situations, its the same thing as jab to the solar plexus, not many trainers like it but it can be an opening to the head if you can get them worrying about it, alone its not usually a knock out punch but as a tool in boxing i think its invaluable. maybe bending a bit at the waist opening a target for an uppercut, feint the low jab and youve opened up the head, when training i think its important to train these series of movement, feint the low jab and come up with a straight right or right uppercut, get the biomechanics down for good balance throughout the movements.

Hope this helps, what the guy is saying is good, listen to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Old 1-2, revisited

I thinks its best too jab in order to lift the chin then rock it with the right hand

Thread Information