Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time!!!

This is a thread I have posted a few times in the past and it has always sparked a good debate.

Take the term greatest HW any way you want.

My list

1. Ali
    2. Louis
    3. Holmes
    4. Lewis
    5. Holyfield
    6. Jack Johnson
    7. Liston/Fraizer
    8. Tyson
    9. Marciano
    10. Foreman
    I have made my list on a p4p baces due to the fact that HW boxers have increased in size A LOT over the decades.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Top 10 greatest heavyweights of all time!!!

here's mine

1. MUHAMMAD ALI - The most gifted HW ever and fought the best completion of anybody on this list

2. JOE LOUIS - The most complete puncher in HW history

3. JACK JOHNSON - Greatest defensive HW in history, 50 years ahead of his time.

4. LARRY HOLMES - Most underrated HW ever and a almost perfect jab

5. EVANDER HOLYFIELD - Most over achieving HW in history, will to win was amazing

6. GEORGE FOREMAN - Probably the most unique HW because of his 2 separate careers, separated by 10 years

7. ROCKY MARCIANO - To me one of the most overrated HW, fought absolutely nobody in his prime but not too many HW do

8. JOE FRAZIER - He was beat Ali clearly and was life and death with him in the 3rd fight, has to count for something.

9. LENNOX LEWIS - The first true big man HW but was hurt by not getting earlier fights with Tyson, Bowe & Holyfield.

10. MIKE TYSON - Next to Liston the most feared HW ever and probably the biggest disappointment. He could have topped this list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good list pretty close to what I would have should I say who I would have on mine but I would switch some spots....I would put Johnson in Holmes place...JJ fought so long ago that a lot of footage is not available to view but the footage I have seen really puts him in a new light....He was fighting like a modern day HW when everyone else was fighting the old style of just punch and take a punch....Jack was fast and he hit hard...He had great defence....Truly an impressive man for the era....Could not imagine what a modern day JJ would do.....Liston is over rated in truth....His biggest claim to fame was his intimidation factor....He really did not reign as champion for long...His biggest wins were over Floyd Patterson a man many people include in their top 10 and rightfully so....These are so subjective as we all know but good list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by jdonaher1 View Post
    here's mine

1. MUHAMMAD ALI - The most gifted HW ever and fought the best completion of anybody on this list

5. EVANDER HOLYFIELD - Most over achieving HW in history, will to win was amazing

6. GEORGE FOREMAN - Probably the most unique HW because of his 2 separate careers, separated by 10 years

7. ROCKY MARCIANO - To me one of the most overrated HW, fought absolutely nobody in his prime but not too many HW do

8. JOE FRAZIER - He was beat Ali clearly and was life and death with him in the 3rd fight, has to count for something.

9. LENNOX LEWIS - The first true big man HW but was hurt by not getting earlier fights with Tyson, Bowe & Holyfield.

10. MIKE TYSON - Next to Liston the most feared HW ever and probably the biggest disappointment. He could have topped this list.
    Lewis at #9? Good reasoning at why he is one the list and fair point on why he is where you put him but #9?...LL fought and beat everyone there was to beat....He is/was one of the most dominate champions of all time...LL ruined a lot of heavyweights when he faced them and put them on the second shelf so to speak....He also had an under rated chin....Agree with the Marciano view....We agree on Johnson 100%....Not sure why you did not include Liston but I stated in my other post why I don't include him though it takes nothing away from the fact he is an ATG just not top 10......And yes for sure Tyson could have been the greatest of all time without even a debate if he did not let everything else blow his career out for him by his outside lifestyle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Good list pretty close to what I would have should I say who I would have on mine but I would switch some spots....I would put Johnson in Holmes place...JJ fought so long ago that a lot of footage is not available to view but the footage I have seen really puts him in a new light....He was fighting like a modern day HW when everyone else was fighting the old style of just punch and take a punch....Jack was fast and he hit hard...He had great defence....Truly an impressive man for the era....Could not imagine what a modern day JJ would do.....Liston is over rated in truth....His biggest claim to fame was his intimidation factor....He really did not reign as champion for long...His biggest wins were over Floyd Patterson a man many people include in their top 10 and rightfully so....These are so subjective as we all know but good list
    I agree. I never bought it that Liston was a top 10 HW. He was so non-competative vs. Clay (Ali) in both fight; quit the 1st one and (probably) took a dive in the 2nd. Say what you want about Tyson but he took his ass whoppin's like a man vs. Lewis & Holyfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

here's mine

Lewis at #9? Good reasoning at why he is one the list and fair point on why he is where you put him but #9?...LL fought and beat everyone there was to beat....He is/was one of the most dominate champions of all time...LL ruined a lot of heavyweights when he faced them and put them on the second shelf so to speak....He also had an under rated chin....Agree with the Marciano view....We agree on Johnson 100%....Not sure why you did not include Liston but I stated in my other post why I don't include him though it takes nothing away from the fact he is an ATG just not top 10......And yes for sure Tyson could have been the greatest of all time without even a debate if he did not let everything else blow his career out for him by his outside lifestyle
    I'm a big LL fan myself (fellow Canadian that he sort of was). My biggest problem was he just fought so timid sometimes. There's no way Tyson should have lasted 8 rounds. He should have been out of there in 3 to 4. He was so gifted as a boxer that if he had just stepped on the gas pedal every now and then he could have been higher on my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. I never bought it that Liston was a top 10 HW. He was so non-competative vs. Clay (Ali) in both fight; quit the 1st one and (probably) took a dive in the 2nd. Say what you want about Tyson but he took his ass whoppin's like a man vs. Lewis & Holyfield.
    For sure he did....In fact IMO the Lewis fight though Tyson was not the fighter he was in his prime and though Tyson was not in the greatest of shape....Said himself in the ring after the bout ended that Lewis caught him early in the stomach and he could not fully recover from it...Think it was rd 2 he said and he kept on til round 8 when he folded after some big big shots.....Holyfield beat Mike at his own game...Mike was a dirty fighter with elbows etc....Then again Ali was one of the dirtiest in the history of the sport so can't blast Mike for that....But Holyfield is and always has been a dirty fighter who leads with his head and uses it on the inside to push against his opponents faces.....Mikes mental make up is what hurt him he could have had a 5 yr run from 88-93 retired and been at or near the top odf the list with the way he jsyt steam rolled guys....But he allowed his lifestyle to cause him losses against inferior fighters....

Oh and prison of course

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listons most well known fights were against Ali and that is what most people judge him on.

However he was the best HW in the world a number of years before he won the title.He also had good wins against Cleveland Williams,Zora Folly and Eddie Machen.

When Ali was stripped of the title Liston was considered the best in the world after Ali but they would not give him the chance to become champion again after the two Ali fight farces.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Listons most well known fights were against Ali and that is what most people judge him on.

However he was the best HW in the world a number of years before he won the title.He also had good wins against Cleveland Williams,Zora Folly and Eddie Machen.

When Ali was stripped of the title Liston was considered the best in the world after Ali but they would not give him the chance to become champion again after the two Ali fight farces.
    I know what you are saying mate but it is just that there are so many other guy out there who have better resumes and accomplished more then Sonny....I wasn't trying to imply Sonny was a bum just that other guys had longer reigns more impressive resume etc....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Marciano - the record speaks for itself - nonstop punching and tremendous heart.
    2. Louis - Simply awesome.
    3. Holmes - the most underrated HW ever. A complete package and the finest left jab's ever.
    4. Ali - the most overrated HW of all time in my mind. Many contraversial desicions just given to him.
    5. Foreman - Powerful sonofabitch
    6. Dempsey - an animal
    7. Frazier - not stop workman.
    8. Holyfield - David vs. Goliath mentality always loved his fight's.
    9. Lewis - As he got older his skills were amazing and could give anyone above him on this list a licking.
    10. Tyson - An awesome talent in his youth but f**ked it all up as soon as he signed with Don King.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    1. Marciano - the record speaks for itself - nonstop punching and tremendous heart.
    3. Holmes - the most underrated HW ever. A complete package and the finest left jab's ever.
    4. Ali - the most overrated HW of all time in my mind. Many contraversial desicions just given to him.
    6. Dempsey - an animal
    9. Lewis - As he got older his skills were amazing and could give anyone above him on this list a licking.
    10. Tyson - An awesome talent in his youth but f**ked it all up as soon as he signed with Don King.

Marciano at #1??....Moore, Charles and Walcott are the biggest names on his resume (Please we can not include Louis he was waayyyy past it and the one meaningful fight he had in the 7 years prior to fighting Rocky was a loss to Charles).....Can't see how Marciano possibly could be rated above Louis, Holmes, Ali, Lewis, Johnson, Dempsey, Frazier, Foreman...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Top 10 Heavyweight Champions:

1. Joe Louis
    2. Muhammad Ali
    3. Rocky Marciano
    4. Larry Holmes
    5. Lennox Lewis
    6. Jack Johnson
    7. George Foreman
    8. Joe Friazer
    9. Evander Holyfield
    10. Mike Tyson

Top 10 Heavyweight Boxers
    (i.e, if you put all the heavyweights up against each other, who'd prove to be the hardest to beat... best outta 5! )

1. Lennox Lewis
    2. Vitali Klitschko
    3. Wladimir Klitschko
    4. Muhammad Ali
    5. Larry Holmes
    6. Evander Holyfield
    7. George Foreman
    8. Mike Tyson
    9. Joe Louis
    10. Joe Fraizer

Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

6. Dempsey - an animal

Marciano at #1??....Moore, Charles and Walcott are the biggest names on his resume (Please we can not include Louis he was waayyyy past it and the one meaningful fight he had in the 7 years prior to fighting Rocky was a loss to Charles).....Can't see how Marciano possibly could be rated above Louis, Holmes, Ali, Lewis, Johnson, Dempsey, Frazier, Foreman...
    It is the simply fact he did what no other heavyweight has done. He beat everyone that was in front of him. Regardless of who he fought he still beat all of them and in KO fashion. Now if we are talking who can beat who then maybe he will slide down the list. But for me he retired undefeated and he deserves the nod at #1.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1.Ali
    2.Louis
    3.Holmes
    4.Tyson
    5.Lewis
    6.Foreman
    7.Fraizer
    8.Holyfield
    9.Marciano
    10.Johnson
    11. Dempsey
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

6. Dempsey - an animal
    yeah no way I can go with Rocky at #1. Louis, Walcott, Charles & Moorer were all WAY past there prime when he beat them. He just doesn't have the resume to justify that postion. Being undefeated vs. low grade competion doesn't do much for me.

Thread Information