Thread: Low Carb Diet

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish I could have a "my body is a temple" mentality.

Instead my body is dumping ground.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Low Carb Diet

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    That being said, I sure did enjoy the toast, peanut butter and whey protein porridge I had for breakfast, chicken, wholemeal bagel and salad that I had for my lunch, protein oat flapjack for a snack and sweet potatos and meatballs I had for dinner. Cottage Cheese on Rivita for supper is as close to low carb as you'll see me get!

Diet is probably on 35/35/30 split... give or take, just eat half based off what I know is good and half based off what I feel my body craves depending on my training etc

Try and get at least 20-30g of protein when ever I eat, eat only wholegrain cabrs (the less processed the better... OATS!) plent of nuts and oily fish when I can and constant fruit and veg. Nothing more complicated than that... no cycling, no breaks... just something healthy and sustainable.

Had my bodyfat tested today (don't normally monitor it but was testing our new B.I. scales at work) and it currently stands at 8%... considering training isn't as heavy at the moment due to a bit of sciatica must be doing something right!

For me, personally these low carb diets are an over reaction to the need to remove refined and highly concentrated carbs from your diet. It's like hitting a picture tack in with a sledgehammer (the only 'tyre' I beat with a sledgehammer is a tractor tyre! )

I get that they work for some people and not for others, but for me, my concern has always been overall health and fitness... not just 'weight'.

Like I've said before... if you have a lot to cut and it works for you then go for it... but only short time... I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a long term diet... but I guess that depends on your personal definition of health and fitness.
    That's because you're not fat!! Try being so fat that you don't want to leave the house and have no desire or zest for life whatsoever. I'm not there now, but I have been and you'll do just about anything to lose weight and stock feeling that way, even if it at severe risk to your health.

P.S I am not saying this in a 'snotty' way, I'm just telling you how it is for some people
    I know exactly where you're coming from, but I'm not just talking about my personal approach, but my approach with those who I train, many of whom used to be overweight.

These Low Carb diets are all about controlling blood sugar/insulin to help reduce the calorie retention that high blood sugar and the resulting high insulin levels that it gives. My approach has always been towards sensible eating and exercising.

Avoiding the awful carbs and exercising correctly will control insulin levels/sensitivity just as much as low carbing will for most people with the added benefit that you don't miss out on the various minerals, vitamins and fibre that you get from grains and you get fitter as you shed pounds.

That being said, although I have my views and methods I do try and keep a little open... there are wrong ways to do things but there are also lots of right ways, if it works for you it works. I'm always keen to emphasise caution when doing drastic cuts like this, if I seem like I am out right dismissing low carb diets then that is probably why.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That being said, I sure did enjoy the toast, peanut butter and whey protein porridge I had for breakfast, chicken, wholemeal bagel and salad that I had for my lunch, protein oat flapjack for a snack and sweet potatos and meatballs I had for dinner. Cottage Cheese on Rivita for supper is as close to low carb as you'll see me get!

Diet is probably on 35/35/30 split... give or take, just eat half based off what I know is good and half based off what I feel my body craves depending on my training etc

Try and get at least 20-30g of protein when ever I eat, eat only wholegrain cabrs (the less processed the better... OATS!) plent of nuts and oily fish when I can and constant fruit and veg. Nothing more complicated than that... no cycling, no breaks... just something healthy and sustainable.

Had my bodyfat tested today (don't normally monitor it but was testing our new B.I. scales at work) and it currently stands at 8%... considering training isn't as heavy at the moment due to a bit of sciatica must be doing something right!

For me, personally these low carb diets are an over reaction to the need to remove refined and highly concentrated carbs from your diet. It's like hitting a picture tack in with a sledgehammer (the only 'tyre' I beat with a sledgehammer is a tractor tyre! )

I get that they work for some people and not for others, but for me, my concern has always been overall health and fitness... not just 'weight'.

Like I've said before... if you have a lot to cut and it works for you then go for it... but only short time... I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a long term diet... but I guess that depends on your personal definition of health and fitness.
    That's because you're not fat!! Try being so fat that you don't want to leave the house and have no desire or zest for life whatsoever. I'm not there now, but I have been and you'll do just about anything to lose weight and stock feeling that way, even if it at severe risk to your health.

P.S I am not saying this in a 'snotty' way, I'm just telling you how it is for some people
    I know exactly where you're coming from, but I'm not just talking about my personal approach, but my approach with those who I train, many of whom used to be overweight.

These Low Carb diets are all about controlling blood sugar/insulin to help reduce the calorie retention that high blood sugar and the resulting high insulin levels that it gives. My approach has always been towards sensible eating and exercising.

Avoiding the awful carbs and exercising correctly will control insulin levels/sensitivity just as much as low carbing will for most people with the added benefit that you don't miss out on the various minerals, vitamins and fibre that you get from grains and you get fitter as you shed pounds.

That being said, although I have my views and methods I do try and keep a little open... there are wrong ways to do things but there are also lots of right ways, if it works for you it works. I'm always keen to emphasise caution when doing drastic cuts like this, if I seem like I am out right dismissing low carb diets then that is probably why.
    I wish you were training me fella - coz I am fucking useless!! Got the gym part all sorted, but the food is crap. I could probably manage to lose weight the 'healthy' weigh, but it would take me 3 months to get to where I want to be and I have such a 'quick fix' want it now' mentality, that I just can't see the long term
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's my diet:

If it has either swam, walked or has flown through the air: Eat it.

If it has grown from the ground: Eat it.

If man made it: Don't eat it.

Unless it's Sunday, then in moderation only.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    I'm with Adam with this one.

The initial weight loss from these kind of diets is mainly down to the dieter emptying his glycoegn stores due to him no longer consuming/not consuming enough carbohydrate. This is weight which will simply be gained again once a more natural diet is started.

Basically, the weight loss looks great on the scales, but you're not really ridding yourself of much bodyfat. Carbohydrate and water mainly.
    Not true at all mate. Water and Glycogen stores are depleted in the 1st week after that you are losing pure fat in a way that you won't on any other diet. I don't like Atkins, but I have done a lot of research on it and spoken with people who have done long term. Atkins is not marketed as a quick fix diet, it is supposed to be a life long diet.
    I know. That's why i said 'initial' you spaz
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The initial weight loss from these kind of diets is mainly down to the dieter emptying his glycoegn stores due to him no longer consuming/not consuming enough carbohydrate. This is weight which will simply be gained again once a more natural diet is started.

Basically, the weight loss looks great on the scales, but you're not really ridding yourself of much bodyfat. Carbohydrate and water mainly.
    Not true at all mate. Water and Glycogen stores are depleted in the 1st week after that you are losing pure fat in a way that you won't on any other diet. I don't like Atkins, but I have done a lot of research on it and spoken with people who have done long term. Atkins is not marketed as a quick fix diet, it is supposed to be a life long diet.
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair, after re-reading, it was probably my fault.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

try a modified Paleo diet...eat some grains but don't go nuts

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged