Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Post How many fights do you get in a month/year

Hi guys

Can you tell me what is the average amount of fights you have every month, as i was wondering how progressively i will get in experience etc

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Fighting experience then turning PRO

Hi guys

How long would you think is not too short or too long to get a generally good fighting experience before you become PRO.... I'm looking into becoming a PRO when i have done 5 years in Amateur boxin career... which sounds to me relatively long enough to experience everything i need.... what your thoughts cheers

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many fights do you get in a month/year

Buck Smith never had an amateur career, he just fought four rounders twice a week for months on end. He did well enough to fight for a version of a world title and to be in the ring with guys like Chavez (senior) and Buddy McGirt. Kelcie Banks had over 500 amateur fights and never came close to being a good pro.
    A lot of it is what you're taught. There is a decided difference between pro and amateur boxing. If you have a trainer that teaches you to be an amateur boxer, 5 years would kill you because you'd never unlearn the bad habits. If your trainer teaches you a pro way of fighting, you'll lose a lot of amateur fights.
    If your intention is to be a pro I would suggest a lengthy period of training- getting a very very very firm grasp of the basics of defense, footwork, and punching technique-before ever getting into the ring. Then spar a lot with everybody that you can. Then have some amateur fights, enough to get over the novelty of being in the ring in a fight that is being judged in front of people. What did Tyson have- 20 amateure fights?
    Of course the problem there is in being patient: going to the gym every day, running, etc...and LEARNING every day, with no fight in sight, but if you want to fight professionally...And once you do turn pro, depending where you live, you'll have trouble getting enough fights to keep you busy enough to keep your knowledge growing.
    If you do fight as an amateur, and are successful enough to do well enough, maybe you can get money behind you which will get you favorable matchmaking, so you'll win but maybe not get better...
    It goes on and on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How many fights do you get in a month/year

I think that you can't compare normal fighters with Marcianos and Tysons. Tyson for example was hooked with Cus D'amato from really young age! Marciano like Toney was scouted pretty early in his amatior carier! Normally most of the so called trainers and menagers do not have the experiance and the contacts! So in order to turn pro you need financial back up. The easyest way of getting maximum expousure and meanwhile not risking alot is trough an amatior carier. If you turn direct or with less experiance pro and without good managers most likely you are going to end up with your brain scrambled and your pockets empty! Not everyone is made for boxing and this must not be forgotten!
    greynotsoold i can't say if you are right or wrong about the difference about the amatiors and the pros. Most of the great boxers do have really solid amatior background and the basics in both worlds are the same! But being a succesful pro most of the times requires personality which most of the normal people don't possess!

Thread Information