Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some Bag Work

let me know what you guys think, i am welcome to any and all criticism i know you guys are good at it

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some Bag Work

You are making things hard on yourself with your feet; thus, you throw a lot of arm punches, and you're throwing them hard, which is why you're breathing hard after every flurry. Your right hand is real wide.
    There's two things you do wrong with your feet. The first is that you tend to get real far up on your left foot and punch from there. Your right hand suffers because that weight needs to go back to front to generate power; you're trying to do it by 'throwing' it harder, hence it gets wide and you get a little winded. Also, your left hook would benefit from weight going onto the right foot. That lets you drive punches by turning your hips and shoulders. The second is that your feet are too far apart. It is best to get your weight, hips and shoulders turned in front of your hands: can't do that when your target is 12" away and your feet are 30" apart.
    Last, that drill you do, when you get your feet parallel, lean into the bag and fire both hands in succession...I used to end every workout doing that, and its a good drill...But you need to shift you weight when you do it, and that way you can do it longer without getting winded. Get your feet closer together, throw shorter punches and get your hips turning into your punches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At the begining this is a prime example of bad jab. You are better off of it. First there is no power behind it and second your are going to your left in your oponents right with your hand down... If you make the things greynotsoold said, they will take care for your jab too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

honestly bro, you throw hands so fuckin fast I could barely keep up lol. Takes a trained eye to be able to see all that. I don't know if you feel beyond slowing it down some and throwing punches from the guard. If you look at the video and watch your reflection in the mirror, your right hand is low.

In my opinion, the right hand should be protecting your temple and part of the ear. You do throw a lot of punches, but a good boxer might be able to time the left hook when you drop your right.

Look at the video when you start, if the bag were a real opponent, would you start a round with a guard like that? Speed and power is great to have and you definitely got it, I would just get accustomed to a tighter guard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks guys i will post a new one soon so you can see an update, its def great advice, without a coach its hard to see what i myself am doing wrong, so much appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some impressive handspeed and a nice array of shots. Linked to what grey mentioned, you are going 'forward heavy' at times. Also, you would benefit from showing feints every now and again and moving the head after every flurry (on the way out.) Otherwise, against a decent straight puncher you may struggle.

PS - Do your road work!!! ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey bro,

I was curious do you do any particular exercises for hand speed? I would love to find either exercises or a way of Zen-like thinking to be able to stay relaxed until the moment of impact.

If I tried throwing those kind of combos in succession with speed, by my 4th or 5th punch, I'd be gassed and my hand speed would be half of the 1st punch.

I like what dude above me said. You need that explosive footwork to get in, throw em, get out. With your hand speed, some feints with the body and the feet, swoop in and fire them machine gun fists, move out at an angle and fuck up your opponent for real.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BigSkinny87 View Post
    Hey bro,

I was curious do you do any particular exercises for hand speed? I would love to find either exercises or a way of Zen-like thinking to be able to stay relaxed until the moment of impact.

If I tried throwing those kind of combos in succession with speed, by my 4th or 5th punch, I'd be gassed and my hand speed would be half of the 1st punch.

I like what dude above me said. You need that explosive footwork to get in, throw em, get out. With your hand speed, some feints with the body and the feet, swoop in and fire them machine gun fists, move out at an angle and fuck up your opponent for real.
    You know i have been in and out of a good shape many times but one thing i always manage to do is be able to return to my hand speed every time. What i do is tend to shadow box a lot, its where you normally pick up good/bad habits,i throw every punch as fast and as hard as i can, mostly more than one. But make sure that your arms are relaxed and that you pull back and return them to your chin as fast and as hard as you can aswell. Keep your arms relaxed the whole time thou, picture them as strings with your knuckles being weights attached to them and throw em fast and hard and bring them back as fast and as hard as you can and it creates a whip like motion that can knock your opponents head back with every flush landing, do this on the bag as well and you should see your hand speed increasing. Lemme know if any of that makes sense.

And i agree thanks for the advice, i am normally one to throw feints but as you can see my stamina is highly slacken and its something i gotta throw back in there, ill def get in better shape and post an update, perhaps fighting in a few different manners, defense/offense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    You are making things hard on yourself with your feet; thus, you throw a lot of arm punches, and you're throwing them hard, which is why you're breathing hard after every flurry. Your right hand is real wide.
    There's two things you do wrong with your feet. The first is that you tend to get real far up on your left foot and punch from there. Your right hand suffers because that weight needs to go back to front to generate power; you're trying to do it by 'throwing' it harder, hence it gets wide and you get a little winded. Also, your left hook would benefit from weight going onto the right foot. That lets you drive punches by turning your hips and shoulders. The second is that your feet are too far apart. It is best to get your weight, hips and shoulders turned in front of your hands: can't do that when your target is 12" away and your feet are 30" apart.
    Last, that drill you do, when you get your feet parallel, lean into the bag and fire both hands in succession...I used to end every workout doing that, and its a good drill...But you need to shift you weight when you do it, and that way you can do it longer without getting winded. Get your feet closer together, throw shorter punches and get your hips turning into your punches.
    EVERYTHING said here is spot on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Previous advice comes fom those more learned than myself. I have boxed amateur for 8 years but that was 100 years or so ago. I think your hand speed is fairly impressive. Your stance is too wide as mentioned and I believe if this can be corrected you will notice a difference. The people on here genreally know what they are talking about and if anyone named grey, andre or scrap say someting thing then it may be worth listening to. If you were hopeless you would have had no response other than sarcatic remarks. (Others have good advice as well. They just came to mind.) My big thing was speed but you look faster than I was and I did fairly well, so best of luck to you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fuck me your hands are fast!

I'm picking up a bag tomorrow. Looking forward to getting stuck in on it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good hand speed, but technique can improve. Footwork needs help, I noticed you "hopped" and took 2 big steps to get from one side of the bag to another, a good fighter can catch you while you're doing that hop and throw you off balance easily, in a real fight you usually don't have to go from one side of an opponent to another, try turning at a 90 degree angle, throw a few punches, then go to the other side. You were also thrown off balance with your flurries, this might be cool for a bar fight but in the ring it's a different game. A bag is never gonna hit you back so for now you can do whatever you want but remember it's not gonna matter much in the ring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You definantly have a bit of speed but so does every fighter when they start to master their technique and they arent over thinking the movements, the less complicated the movement, the sooner you will get quicker at it but the quality of movements will be poor, thats the trade off. it takes a lot longer to speed up and master movements when being taught good quality boxing technique, theres simply a lot more to think about and to get your head around, which is exactly what you dont want to do for speed.

Your already at that stage with your 'own' technique where your not thinking about the movements now so your speeding up but you have one big problem. your technique is very poor and too basic and it ruins the quality of your shots and any movement before or after them, youve got to go back to the drawing board but your always going to be battling bad habits from now on, you will be forever conciously trying not to revert back to old styles/bad habits as your training or fighting, this distraction will cost you in speed. any thought process to counter act the old sloppy technique will slow you down but you will throw better quality shots and have better movement for it in the time being. when you dont overthink technique to go for speed instead like you do now all these old bad habits will come out here and there and you will throw fast weak shots with bad economy and poor balance like you do now. Its probably one of the most frustrating things you will have to deal with if your planning to be a boxer.

Its best to learn good technique and join a good gym from the start to avoid all this crap, i know this personally more than most. you will have a lot to think about when re-learning fine boxing technique so to start off like anybody else it will all be slow at first until you gain more co-ordination over your entire body to move it purposley in unison and then you can better feel when you might be performing the moves correctly and what body parts your involving in them, through good technique involving the whole body in the shots and movements eventually in time you'll be able to throw a quality punch or movement without thinking about it, just by feel. NOW your ready to start speeding it all up again, but this time it'll be much harder because not only have you got 101 things to do when throwing a right hand now but its also going to be very difficult to 'feel' the difference between your 'old technique' and the new improved technique when you arent able to see what your doing, this is why i think most fighters have trouble letting their hands go because their minds and messages from their eyes screw it all up, then you get these added bonuses of bad habits that busy your mind aswell as, it can be very frustrating indeed, however if you just want to hit heavy bags infront of your friends then its not really a problem you will need to worry about.

Hope this helps you in makeing a decision weather you want to join a gym and box or just to train and hit bags, Andre or scrap could tell you a lot more on how the mind can slow you down but here are what i believe are the main reasons for it that i can understand myself. There is some very good advice for fighters on these forums but for the reasons ive stated above you really do need a coach or someone with a keen eye watching over you.
    Last edited by WayneFlint; 07-25-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're fast and you look like you hit hard. You looked tired after about 30 seconds though. Might want to work on pacing.
    Last edited by amiller; 08-01-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Thread Information