Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Abraham vs. Ward - Saturday - May 14th

Now that this fight is back on, it's worth having a thread about it, any Abe fans out there?

May 14
    At Carson, Calif. (Showtime): Super Six World Boxing Classic semifinals, Andre Ward vs. Arthur Abraham, 12 rounds, for Ward's WBA super middleweight title; Cristobal Arreola vs. Nagy Aguilera, 10 rounds, heavyweights.

Ward figures to win an ugly decision, but I would love for Abraham to rock the "SOG's" world and pull off the upset.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Abraham vs. Ward - Saturday - May 14th

Bump.... no thoughts, or interest on this fight?

The Official Website of Showtime Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hated Abe but when he was dqd and my fav fighter crushed him I grew major respect for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know why Ward changed his style so much since he was an amateur. He used to box circles and use his speed and distance. Now he fights tactically close like B-Hop. Its been very successful but this style is probably the worst out of all the Super Six styles against AA. Ward may very well be the best fighter in the tournament but I'm telling you that his style is the worst against AA's style. He leaves a lot of opportunity for AA to get his short punches off. AA doesn't even have to wait rounds to walk him down. His power punches will be in range the whole fight. Ward is a cerebral fighter but I am very interested in what he has plan for this fight because I think people are wrongfully counting AA out due to the previous styles which Ward doesn't care to display.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All I can say is don't bet on this fight,
    This one could go either way, look for ward to show no heart/heart of a genuine champion and bhop Abraham.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by blegit View Post
    I don't know why Ward changed his style so much since he was an amateur. He used to box circles and use his speed and distance. Now he fights tactically close like B-Hop. Its been very successful but this style is probably the worst out of all the Super Six styles against AA. Ward may very well be the best fighter in the tournament but I'm telling you that his style is the worst against AA's style. He leaves a lot of opportunity for AA to get his short punches off. AA doesn't even have to wait rounds to walk him down. His power punches will be in range the whole fight. Ward is a cerebral fighter but I am very interested in what he has plan for this fight because I think people are wrongfully counting AA out due to the previous styles which Ward doesn't care to display.
    I'm hoping we get a good performance out of Abraham, he's got the power to hurt Ward, so we could see a hell of a fight..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I see a very one sided win for Ward now. I wouldn't have predicted that at the start of the tournament though. After watching Abraham destroy Taylor, I thought he was going to win the whole thing. But Froch and Dirrell both schooled Abraham and I think Ward will do the same now.

I think that the fight of the tournament may well be Froch vs Johnson!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rjj tszyu View Post
    I see a very one sided win for Ward now. I wouldn't have predicted that at the start of the tournament though. After watching Abraham destroy Taylor, I thought he was going to win the whole thing. But Froch and Dirrell both schooled Abraham and I think Ward will do the same now.

I think that the fight of the tournament may well be Froch vs Johnson!

Chances are, you are correct, and the "SOG" will win an ugly decision over Abe, but since I don't care much for Ward or his style and would love to see him lose, i'll be pulling for Abe.

In re: Froch vs Johnson, yup, i'm looking forward to that fight, it could be really entertaining, Johnson seems to be reborn hard at 168, I wouldn't count him out.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 05-03-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Ward wins a UD, as for Froch-Johnson yea i expect a great fight. Johnson always brings it, and i expect some great moments in that fight.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    I think Ward wins a UD, as for Froch-Johnson yea i expect a great fight. Johnson always brings it, and i expect some great moments in that fight.

Nobody expects AA to win, that's one of the reasons why I hope he does.

As for Carl vs. Glen, Froch is going to get his chin checked, it should be fun to watch.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward wins by TKO or TD in the middle-to-late rounds. Abraham winning here would be more shocking to me than JuanMa losing to Salido.

As far as the Froch v. Johnson scrap, it's a closer fight, I favor Froch now, but Johnson is a live underdog and may take him to deep waters before Froch pulls it out for a decision win. I'd be surprised if he stopped Johnson. I may take a Johnson bet actually on this one depending on the odds. Fenster?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Ward wins by TKO or TD in the middle-to-late rounds. Abraham winning here would be more shocking to me than JuanMa losing to Salido.

As far as the Froch v. Johnson scrap, it's a closer fight, I favor Froch now, but Johnson is a live underdog and may take him to deep waters before Froch pulls it out for a decision win. I'd be surprised if he stopped Johnson. I may take a Johnson bet actually on this one depending on the odds. Fenster?
    I think it depends on how Abe & Ward matchup in the ring, and what version of AA shows up. If the Abe that fought Dirrell shows up, he's in for a long night against Ward. AA does have decent power, and that could be a game changer.
    BTW, I don't see Ward knocking Abraham out or stopping him (unless it's on cuts from headbutts), and it wouldn't be that big of shock if Abraham won, Ward is far from unbeatable.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 05-04-2011 at 03:51 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Normally I'd back Abraham in this one, but I want to see Froch-Ward and not a Froch-Abraham rematch in the final. That's assuming Froch gets by Johnson, which isn't a foregone conclusion by any means. I think it could be a little ugly but Ward should win a comfortable decision.

Rant, the best odds I can find on Johnson are 333 (10/3) for him to win outright, 550 (11/2) for him on points and 850 (17/2) for a KO/TKO. That's just from a quick look on oddschecker though, somewhere else might have better odds

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

I think it depends on how Abe & Ward matchup in the ring, and what version of AA shows up. If the Abe that fought Dirrell shows up, he's in for a long night against Ward. AA does have decent power, and that could be a game changer.
    BTW, I don't see Ward knocking Abraham out or stopping him (unless it's on cuts from headbutts), and it wouldn't be that big of shock if Abraham won, Ward is far from unbeatable.
    I respectfully disagree with some of what you said. As to the outcome of the fight, I believe Abraham will lose a technical decision, a la what happened to Kessler when he fought Ward, or his corner will throw in the towel in the middle-later rounds because he so far down on points and isn't showing them anything. I would be impressed if Ward actually knocked out Abraham.

Ward successfully stifled the offenses of both Kessler and Bika and Green who are all naturally bigger men than Abraham. I don't see how he won't also prevent Abraham from getting off his punches. Abraham had power at 160, but I haven't been convinced that power translated well into 168. Moreover, whereas Abraham is coming off of a bad loss, Ward is coming off of a solid win. I believe this is a blow out in the making.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

I respectfully disagree with some of what you said. As to the outcome of the fight, I believe Abraham will lose a technical decision, a la what happened to Kessler when he fought Ward, or his corner will throw in the towel in the middle-later rounds because he so far down on points and isn't showing them anything. I would be impressed if Ward actually knocked out Abraham.

Ward successfully stifled the offenses of both Kessler and Bika and Green who are all naturally bigger men than Abraham. I don't see how he won't also prevent Abraham from getting off his punches. Abraham had power at 160, but I haven't been convinced that power translated well into 168. Moreover, whereas Abraham is coming off of a bad loss, Ward is coming off of a solid win. I believe this is a blow out in the making.
    Well don't get me wrong, I don't expect AA to win this fight, just sayin', i'd love it if it happened.

Thread Information