Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Best way to boxing train outside of the boxing gym?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Best way to boxing train outside of the boxing gym?

Hello all

I have access Monday-Sunday to a normal gym, Fitness First, where I can pretty much do what I like in there but there are no boxing facilities, i.e. no ring, no bags, etc. In fact, not many mirrors, so hard to shadow box.

I try and do a lot of skipping, shadow boxing and actually do things like handstands and balance, abs etc.

When it comes to shadowboxing, what do people focus on? Is there a particular routine or set of moves that you try? For example, 20 x Left-Right-Left Hook, then change?

How do you normally meter training outside of the boxing gym? Is it still 3 min 1 min?

Ideas for training welcome - what are your training routines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best way to boxing train outside of the boxing gym?

Quote Originally Posted by nickatbristol View Post
    Hello all

I have access Monday-Sunday to a normal gym, Fitness First, where I can pretty much do what I like in there but there are no boxing facilities, i.e. no ring, no bags, etc. In fact, not many mirrors, so hard to shadow box.

I try and do a lot of skipping, shadow boxing and actually do things like handstands and balance, abs etc.

When it comes to shadowboxing, what do people focus on? Is there a particular routine or set of moves that you try? For example, 20 x Left-Right-Left Hook, then change?

How do you normally meter training outside of the boxing gym? Is it still 3 min 1 min?

Ideas for training welcome - what are your training routines?

Right now I am training out of my house because the rising cost of petrol, and lack of time to get to the gym at night. Honestly, to get the most out of BOXING SPECIFIC training, you want to be in a gym and be getting feed back from trained professionals.

Shadow boxing is basically using your imagination to mentally put an opponent in front of you.

You are in a fight with this person. Everything you do while shadow boxing, should mimic being in the ring. Head movement, combos, distance....visualizing punches coming at you.

A full length mirror is so crucial for this to watch your form, stance, etc.

I would check out Freddy Roach videos on youtube, and try to get a feel for basics like stance, jabs, straights.....Then hit the cardio like there is no tomorrow!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Best way to boxing train outside of the boxing gym?

You must train them all. Endurance, explosiveness, flexebility, mobility, stability, max force, coordination...

If you are going to use weights concentrate on your posterior chain. The big thee,pull ups, cleans, snatches etc. Here the technique is really important! Not only you'll lift more but you are going to get more coordinated and move more efficiant. You are going to learn how to activate your gluts and hams when you are punching. You are going to develop massive powerfull back to help you rotate more explosively. In oder words you are going to use your powerhouse! In addition you'll develope solid abs...

For endurance if you can roll it's one of the best cardio developer specific for boxing.

For all wrestling or the like exercise are solid choices. For example neck bridging will give you whole body flexebility! All type of acrobatic stuff will improive your coordination...

One of the most important aspect is the mobility.

Thread Information