Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Heavies Fighting Heavies

I got to thinking about the Klitschkos fighting ranked guys and then what everyone else is doing.

In the last three years (why three years [burp] why NOT?)

Wlad has fought five ranked guys and Hasim Rahman.

Vitali has fought four.

Outside of them? I'm trying to think of fights where one Ring ranked heavy fought another in the last 3 years?

Arreola-Adamek
    Chambers-Dimitrenko
    13-Valuev
    Peter-Helenius

I mean seriously? IS THAT IT IN THREE FREAKING YEARS? FOUR FIGHTS BETWEEN CONTENDERS? (Please tell me I've forgotten 6-7 fights)

No WONDER they stink!

Here's a comparison. In 1973 ALONE heavyweight ranked contenders fought each other as follows

Ali-Bugner
    Ali-Norton
    Ali-Norton II
    Frazier-Bugner
    Shavers-Ellis
    Shavers-Young
    Shavers-Quarry
    Quarry-Lyle
    Wepner-Terrell

In addition to that in 1973 Foreman took the crown from Frazier and Ali fought 175 champ Bob Foster.

If the current group of contenders are going to improve enough to challenge the Ukranians? They need to go after one another. I mean how can they possibly compete when the Ukranians are fighting ranked guys far more often than the ranked guys are fighting one another?
    Last edited by marbleheadmaui; 07-05-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Heavies Fighting Heavies

I just watched Thrilla in Manila....that kind of curage puts the K bros., Haye, Adamek, Arreola and any other modern-day clown TO SHAME. Things aint what they used to be, Marvin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    I just watched Thrilla in Manila....that kind of curage puts the K bros., Haye, Adamek, Arreola and any other modern-day clown TO SHAME. Things aint what they used to be, Marvin.
    I think I'd take Adamek out of that list. That guy does EVERYTHING you could ask of a fighter.
    Last edited by marbleheadmaui; 07-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    I think I'd take Adamek out of that list. That guy does EVERYTHING you could ask of a fighter.
    Yeah adameks fights with briggs were just savage, don't know how the hell adamek wasn't ruined by those fights, briggs probably was tho saddly.

As for the contenders not fighting each other I think they're affraid of loosing to someone capable and missing their shot. They figure what the hell ill just fight five bums and eventually get a shot anyways due to crazy abc rankings, I mean ffs ray austin just fought in another eliminator the other weekend against some semi novice, good thing he lost but whom had he beat to get another title eliminator in the first place...
    Last edited by armin; 07-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Yeah adameks fights with briggs were just savage, don't know how the hell adamek wasn't ruined by those fights, briggs probably was tho saddly.

As for the contenders not fighting each other I think they're affraid of loosing to someone capable and missing their shot. They figure what the hell ill just fight five bums and eventually get a shot anyways due to crazy abc rankings, I mean ffs ray austin just fought in another eliminator the other weekend against some semi novice, good thing he lost but whom had he beat to get another title eliminator in the first place...
    Makes for very limited fighters though doesn't it?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh yea obviously they would be way better off taking on a few legit contenders before just jumping it with the klits, but its not as safe.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're right. There are intriguing matches to be made from 2-20 of the heavyweight ranks. Truthfully, Arreola in with any top ten fighter would be fun as would it be to see him in with Wlad. At least, we know that he'd go out on his shield. What happened to Povetkin? He hasn't fought since December of last year and has no fights on the horizon. Boystov is still a prospect. He needs to begin climbing the ladder. He hasn't faced anyone worth mentioning.

However, there are a few recent or current exceptions. Fury is fighting Chisora soon. Helenius just fought Peters and is next fighting Liakhovich. I think you mentioned but Arreola fought Adamek. How about we look a little bit deeper - say are there any top 20 heavyweights fighting eachother?

For example, why isn't Cedric Boswell fighting anyone of note? American boxing writers, Steve Kim at Maxboxing for example, are beating Seth Mitchell down our throats, but when is he going to fight anyone worth mentioning?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    You're right. There are intriguing matches to be made from 2-20 of the heavyweight ranks. Truthfully, Arreola in with any top ten fighter would be fun as would it be to see him in with Wlad. At least, we know that he'd go out on his shield. What happened to Povetkin? He hasn't fought since December of last year and has no fights on the horizon. Boystov is still a prospect. He needs to begin climbing the ladder. He hasn't faced anyone worth mentioning.

However, there are a few recent or current exceptions. Fury is fighting Chisora soon. Helenius just fought Peters and is next fighting Liakhovich. I think you mentioned but Arreola fought Adamek. How about we look a little bit deeper - say are there any top 20 heavyweights fighting eachother?

For example, why isn't Cedric Boswell fighting anyone of note? American boxing writers, Steve Kim at Maxboxing for example, are beating Seth Mitchell down our throats, but when is he going to fight anyone worth mentioning?
    For God's sake please don't tell me Tyson Fury and Derek Chisora are top ten heavies as I may throw myself off a bridge

As for the rest? I just don't know how young fighters expect to get better fighting pushovers. I just don't get it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you are comparing the golden age of boxing to one of its lowest times.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just read Chagaev and Povetkin are in talks to battle for the WBC "regular" belt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    you are comparing the golden age of boxing to one of its lowest times.
    Well, yeah. Waddya think MAKES this a "down era?"

But I'll play along. Let me try another down era, 1958 (I am doing this blind, no idea what I'll find out).

In 1958 the following fights among ranked contenders took place

Liston-Bethea
    DeJohn-Valdes
    Machen-Folley
    Machen-Johansen
    Valdez-Bethea
    Valdes-Miteff
    McMurtry-Valdes
    Cooper-Folley
    Folley-Miteff
    London-Pastrano (twice)

I'm not sure I got all of them. But that's at least ten fights among contenders in 1958, another down era.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I just read Chagaev and Povetkin are in talks to battle for the WBC "regular" belt.
    Good fight!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree he is like a larger version of Micky Ward give him 15 rounders and he would take all of them out eventually.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We have truly had a piss poor poor showing in the last five years but with the Kltsko brothers fighting people standing on line for larger paydays, it is a shame that we have to remind people of what once was but it happened and if these alphabet organizations are not put on notice we may not see another one soon. Elimination fights must be strictly enforced otherwise you'll just have contenders coming into a fight training on ale.

Thread Information