Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I killed borders

The Borders bookstore and record store chain will close all it's stores it announced yesterday.

I'm the reason. For six or seven years I spent $5000-$6000 annually at the Borders here on Maui.

With the rise of Itunes and the IPOD my music purchases fell to zero very quickly three years ago. That was probably 15% of my spending there.

I purchased my first Kindle, almost reluctantly, early in 2009 thinking it couldn't be all it was cracked up to be. And it wasn't. Reference books were clumsy, it didn't deal with maps and photos very well, and if you wanted serious books the selection was only OK. But within a week it had become my go to source for my mindless beach reading, Spy stuff, detective stuff etc. That took another 25% of my Border's spending.

Last spring I sprung for an IPAD and that ended the game for Borders. By now overall selection was expanding, the IPAD handled maps and photos and drawings in books very well. This allowed me to now download serious works of history, biographies etc in a useful way. It also makes reading books about music or art really fun as it is easy to jump between programs and listen to a song you don't know while reading etc. That wiped out my Borders spending entirely.

Now Amazon fills whatever need I have for tangible books or unavailable CD's.

I've always loved bookstores and idea of the printed word. But not enough to forego the immediate gratification and convenience the new technology provides. I suspect it is folks like me, book and music junkies, who are deserting these bookstores and killing them.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I killed borders

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post
    The Borders bookstore and record store chain will close all it's stores it announced yesterday.

I'm the reason. For six or seven years I spent $5000-$6000 annually at the Borders here on Maui.

With the rise of Itunes and the IPOD my music purchases fell to zero very quickly three years ago. That was probably 15% of my spending there.

I purchased my first Kindle, almost reluctantly, early in 2009 thinking it couldn't be all it was cracked up to be. And it wasn't. Reference books were clumsy, it didn't deal with maps and photos very well, and if you wanted serious books the selection was only OK. But within a week it had become my go to source for my mindless beach reading, Spy stuff, detective stuff etc. That took another 25% of my Border's spending.

Last spring I sprung for an IPAD and that ended the game for Borders. By now overall selection was expanding, the IPAD handled maps and photos and drawings in books very well. This allowed me to now download serious works of history, biographies etc in a useful way. It also makes reading books about music or art really fun as it is easy to jump between programs and listen to a song you don't know while reading etc. That wiped out my Borders spending entirely.

I've always loved bookstores and idea of the printed word. But not enough to forego the immediate gratification and convenience the new technology provides. I suspect it is folks like me, book and music junkies, who are deserting these bookstores and killing them.

You evil bastard!
    24 Beers in a slab, 24 hours in the day.......go figure.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I second that, Marblehead is clearly a sick, sick man. Quite shocking.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marble this is for you............

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

El Kabong Guest

Well I for one am happy...

Borders was a good store not unlike Barnes & Noble had a lovechild with Best Buy. But their business model went wrong with selling hard copies of DVDs and CDs when they were trending down and digital sales were trending up.

But the clincher for me is that Ira Glass (host of NPR's "This American Life" and the Showtime tv show of the same name) had a DVD deal with ONLY Borders and now I hope this hurts that pinko commie bastard big time!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Hey at least nobody called me a c--t!

Not yet anyway.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Hey at least nobody called me a c--t!

Not yet anyway.
    You've done it now....
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cunt.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FTMatty View Post

You evil bastard!

If he doesn't mind going serial he should kill virgins too. Virgin Megastore is just there to be hit,lol.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Internet has changed everything, I can't remember the last time I read a book, unless it had something to do with business. I get all my information from either Cable TV or the Internet, it works for me, I look at it like having the world's largest Library at your fingertips.

R.I.P. Borders
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 07-22-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See, I used to love going to Borders, flicking through the magazines, sitting down with a nice arty picture book or some big expensive reference book. Sometimes I'd just go in to get out of the rain. Thats why Borders shut, 'cos no one ever bought anything!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kinda strange isn't it the amount of jobs the internet revolution will cost the retail sector. I know, I know it's the governments fault the unemployment is rising. Seriously though, where are the jobs in the future going to be? UPS and FedEx look pretty solid and that's about it.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Kinda strange isn't it the amount of jobs the internet revolution will cost the retail sector. I know, I know it's the governments fault the unemployment is rising. Seriously though, where are the jobs in the future going to be? UPS and FedEx look pretty solid and that's about it.
    Healthcare.

The aging baby-boomer generation combined with ever-increasing lifespans means that the healthcare sector is going to grow massively in the coming years.

Edit: Not to mention all the problems that are going to be created by us younger people becoming increasingly fat and unhealthy.
    Last edited by CFH; 07-23-2011 at 12:10 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    Healthcare.

The aging baby-boomer generation combined with ever-increasing lifespans means that the healthcare sector is going to grow massively in the coming years.
    And PC related.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jobs will come from where they always come from. The unexpected and revolutionary technologies.

Who would have guessed 25 years ago just how large the PC industries would be?

Thread Information