Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Got myself a bag, hung it up and......

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Got myself a bag, hung it up and......

After about 2 minutes of pounding, the hook bent under the weight of the bag and I now have a straight metal stick hanging from the ceiling!

There was me worried the hook would fall out, didn't think the hook would bend! Gutted, that was the biggest hook I could find.

Got the bag today, been excited all day waiting to get it up, got it up and now can't use it. Not happy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Got myself a bag, hung it up and......

I would return that shit, have you alreay called and complained. Thats messed up man, I would say the hook was defective.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bought the hook myself from B&Q! lol

Biggest one I could find

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I used to use a screw in metal ring on a threaded spur, and then hung the bag from that on screw clasp thingy. Bags are heavy, an take a lot of force when you hit them.

I'm now using a wall mounted bracket (about £20 from Argos) and a screw clasp, I found hanging the bag from the ceiling shook the whole house (hung in the basement of a terrace house, from a joist)

HTH

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went and got an even bigger hook!

Been punching it so much today my arms and wrists hurt! So happy to have it just hanging in my dining room.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what do I do on this bag now anyway?

My plan is to do a few weeks on this, get my arms a little more conditioned and then get into a boxing gym.

But what do I do? Because at the minute I'm just unleashing combos, without much planning, trying to move around the bag whilst also trying to mix up which hand I'm leading and jabbing with (my thoughts are that if I'm that new, just try and not have a favoured stance and be more versatile) although frustratingly I feel so much better jabbing with my right (I'm right handed) I feel I can move better around the bag and it just feels more comfortable.

I've watched a load of the videos of others on bags, but they just seem to be swinging and doing similar to me (mostly jab, straight/ hook) but without much of a routine or a drill.

Should I be trying to do drills or working on certain things?

Or should I just enjoy punching the bag for the time being?

I'm trying to be conscious of what I'm doing regards to feet and hand position, just to try and get it embedded in what I do and hopefully to be able to do it without thought after a while.

Ive decided my goal is to be able to get into a position to be able to have at least one amateur fight, hopefully within the next 12-18 months. If I can have one, at least I can say I've done it. But I'm not doing it until im in a position where I feel like I could win (I'm such a bad loser, hate it, so need to make sure I'm at least a little good to have a chance of winning) So I've got a very long way to go.

But for someone who has talked about doing it for an age like me, it feels good to know I've found a gym and have a bag to punch when ever I like at home. Feels like progress on the road to becoming the GOAT!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always start my bag training as with 3 minute rounds, 1 minute of rest. Start off with 3 mins of general jabs, straights, hooks, whatever, moving around plenty but constant hitting. In the 1 min of rest I do 20 starjumps/ jumping jacks then 20 squats/dips until my minute is up, then back onto the bag, for 20 jabs, 20 straights, 20 left hooks, 20 rights, 20 uppercuts etc etc until time is up then back into the rest period with more starjumps, squats. Next 3 min set I go jab jab straight, step away. move back jab jab straight and step away. I do this for most of the 3 mins, until there is 30secs left when I go all out left right as fast as possible. 1 min rest with more star jumps and squats.

After that little lot I hit the weights with 3 sets of 12 on bench press, fly, and bicep curls.

then back to the bag for another 3 rounds of open bag sparring, trying to imagine that every time the bag swings toads me, I either have to punch, block or step out of the way. try to "fight" the bag rather than just punch it, and keep moving around that bag! in the rest periods blitz the legs with star jumps, squats, skipping whatever, just abuse them so you can barely walk.

After 3 rounds you deserve a rest, so do a set of 20 then 15 then 10 of the following..

Barbell push: put all the weight on one side and the free end into a corner, lift it up and stan straight facing the corner, push the weights from the chest to full arm extension for one rep.

Plate rotate: Hold a weight plate with both hands at arms length in front of you, rotate it around your head keeping the head still for one rep do a set for left and a set for right.

Plate lift: Hold a weight plate in front of you, lift it over your head, keeping arms straight and lower it down your back, return to the front for one rep.

then back on the bag for a round of free sparring. If you can keep your gloves up by this stage you are a stronger man than me!

20 normal sit ups, 15 to the left 15 to the right, 20 holding a weight plate over your head then 10 normal, 10 left, 10 right. drink some water, have a protein shake, cry a little and grab a shower.

Thats my week day work out, so maybe start with that.

I;d suggest joining the boxing gym asap as it gives you new training ideas and highlights your weaknesses. there is no point doing epic bicep curls if your bicep strength is fine but your triceps are lacking, preoper sparring will tell you where you need to work on (legs for me!)

Have fun!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got as far as the end of the first paragraph before being too fucked to go on! Lol

Me and you have two different ideas of rest! My 1 minute rest ended up wasted by doing your squats and stars!

Lost all technique by the end, was just pleased I hit the bag because I was seeing that many spots!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That makes me feel good cos I'm a fat bastard! Too skint to go to the gym tonight so I'll be doing the routine up there!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure what your bag looks like. In my home gym I have a 100 lb double end bag. Top has two chains with heavy straps holding both ends. They are hung on a ceiling swivel hook held by a large bolt drilled into a 4X6 board above the ceiling sheet rock, and the board is braced over 4 roof beams. I can actually swing my body on the bag and I weigh 220 lbs. The other end can be secured to the floor by straps to weights to hold the bag in one place.
    Just to give you an idea. Don't be shy about over doing it with bolts, braces and securing something. One poor fellow I know put his bag on a simple hook screwed into a roof 2X4. It came crashing down after a short work out.

Thread Information