Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo Alvarez

A little suprised there was no thread about Canelo's fight last night. I guess we are all still caught up in the Floyd-Ortiz BS. I thought Alvarez did not look good last night. It seems we are still talking about some of the same stuff from a few fights ago. He didn't move his head very well, the jab seemed to dissapear for entire rounds. I thought Gomez fought a good fight, and laid a blueprint for future opponents on how to fight him. Canelo is relying on that one punch power that he has.

I had the fight scored even up to that point.

Round 1 ALvarez 10 Gomez 8
    Round 2 Alvarez 9 Gomez 10
    Round 3 Alvarez 9 Gomez 10
    Round 4 Alvarez 9 Gomez 10
    Round 5 Alvarez 10 Gomez 9

The good thing is that Alvarez is still young enough to correct these things. I guess the good thing for him is that there is no real dominant force at 154 unless you count a Miguel Cotto who is just a shadow of what he once was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    A little suprised there was no thread about Canelo's fight last night. I guess we are all still caught up in the Floyd-Ortiz BS. I thought Alvarez did not look good last night. It seems we are still talking about some of the same stuff from a few fights ago. He didn't move his head very well, the jab seemed to dissapear for entire rounds. I thought Gomez fought a good fight, and laid a blueprint for future opponents on how to fight him. Canelo is relying on that one punch power that he has.

The good thing is that Alvarez is still young enough to correct these things. I guess the good thing for him is that there is no real dominant force at 154 unless you count a Miguel Cotto who is just a shadow of what he once was.
    to me he seemed bored, like he was never forced out of first gear so he was comfortable to stay there untill he landed that big shot in the 6th

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For all the hype he gets, I wasn't overly impressed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    my sentiments exactly, he looked more impressive last time out than he did Saturday, IMO Cotto has the tools and movement to outbox the kid, but i'd still pick Alvarez over Chavez Jr

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    my sentiments exactly, he looked more impressive last time out than he did Saturday, IMO Cotto has the tools and movement to outbox the kid, but i'd still pick Alvarez over Chavez Jr
    Yea he KO's Chavez, but loses to Cotto at this point. I can see a fight with Cotto a little later on down the line, after another war with Margarito. He just doesn't move his head enough, and the jab seems to dissapear.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gomez was winning the fight on points, but Alvarez was landing the harder shots.

Fuckin ref stopped it at the first sign of trouble when Gomez was still defending himself, though he was probably headed for an inevitable TKO loss.

Still, what the hell is Archie doin struggling with Alfonzo Gomez !?

I say let Mayorga have a shot at Alvarez. Not saying Mayorga would win, but he'd sure be a big step up from anyone Alvarez has faced, aside from maybe a shot Baldomir.

Alvarez and Chavez are both hype jobs, Chavez more so.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

chavez v alvarez, who do you see having more ability or room to improve?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Mad Missy View Post
    chavez v alvarez, who do you see having more ability or room to improve?
    Alvarez has a lot more natural talent and punching power. No doubt about it.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I missed Alvarez -Gomez completely, and just heard about it, I like Alvarez, and believe he's good for boxing, maybe somewhere down the road, Canelo will give Gomez a rematch.

I'm thinking the replays of last weekend's PPV fights should be shown on reg HBO next Saturday, the 24th. Because of shitty streams, I didn't get a chance to see these fights very well, they're worth a second look.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Gomez was winning the fight on points, but Alvarez was landing the harder shots.

Fuckin ref stopped it at the first sign of trouble when Gomez was still defending himself, though he was probably headed for an inevitable TKO loss.

Still, what the hell is Archie doin struggling with Alfonzo Gomez !?

I say let Mayorga have a shot at Alvarez. Not saying Mayorga would win, but he'd sure be a big step up from anyone Alvarez has faced, aside from maybe a shot Baldomir.

Alvarez and Chavez are both hype jobs, Chavez more so.
    agree to a point, i think Alvarez has more potential than Chavez, but he doesn't fully dedicate himself

he seemed to only be going through the motions against Gomez, not really even trying to get his offense started, could be the fame getting to his head seeing how much attention the kid gets, but yea a Mayorga/Alvarez fight would be good while it lasts, seeing how he'll at least force Canelo to work, but at this point IMO Angulo and Cotto take him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does seem like he was somewhat bored i guess. It's like he knows that all he has to do is turn it up, and he can get his guy out with a few big shots. It may be working now, but i believe that it's creating bad habits. I want to see how he responds in his next fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It does seem like he was somewhat bored i guess. It's like he knows that all he has to do is turn it up, and he can get his guy out with a few big shots. It may be working now, but i believe that it's creating bad habits. I want to see how he responds in his next fight.
    I'd like to see him against Shawn Porter. I think they have the same skill set and experience level.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    I'd like to see him against Shawn Porter. I think they have the same skill set and experience level.
    don't see how they have the same experience seeing how Porter was a highly praised amateur and Alvarez has no amateur experience

in the ams Porter fought and beat guys like Demetrius Andrade, Danny Jacobs, and Shawn Estrada, throw in he has Roach as his trainer and has sparred with Pacquiao and i'd say that he holds a bit more weight in that department

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been optimistic he could have something special to dominate this division. He's not fast enough and that's why will be punished heavily by quicker guys.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was the most uninspired Canelo I've seen so far. Gomez had something going, staying low, getting in and out etc. It's a tactic that would have worked wonders against a fighter without Saul's thudding power. The stoppage was early no doubt, Gomez probably could have survived the round, and then it would have been a matter of outboxing and moving for a decision.

Alvarez still has a lot of work to do, but time (and GBP matchmaking) are on his side. I think he will continue to do well. A fight with Mayorga is actually a good idea IMO, a fight where he really gets punished for mistakes and will be forced to press or die.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Thread Information