Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Does Chad Dawson have the heart to beat Hopkins

Chad Dawson has the technical skill to beat alot of boxers. But when he is pressured and losing a fight he does not seem to have the heart to go that extra mile. Hopkins breaks down alot of his opponents with his clever boxing skills and never gives up. Can Chad deal with this.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Does Chad Dawson have the heart to beat Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    Chad Dawson has the technical skill to beat alot of boxers. But when he is pressured and losing a fight he does not seem to have the heart to go that extra mile. Hopkins breaks down alot of his opponents with his clever boxing skills and never gives up. Can Chad deal with this.
    Dawson is someone who has tons of talent, but yeah, you aren't going to see the overly cautious Chad go all out to win a fight. Another of Dawson's problems is, his fights are usually snoozers, he's just not entertaining. I expect Hopkins to outwork Dawson and win a boring decision, mainly because, like you say, he doesn't have the heart to go that extra mile, he's just there for a payday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Dawson won the first 2 mins of a round clearly, then he is more than happy to stink up the joint for the final minute
    If Dawson won the first 3-4 rounds pretty clearly, he'll definitely take an entire round off

He is content to outbox a guy to a comfortable 8-4 or 9-3 decision.

Against BHOP he is going to have to want it because BHOP will do anything to win the fight and stay relevant.

We'll find out soon enough if he really wants it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cap hit it pretty clean. His desire and fire in the belly are already in question before the bell rings vs Hopkins. Something that comes with a price.

Big to me is Dawson loves to downshift in fights and does not press advantages. He coasts and likes to look to control pace on his terms. He backs, he slides, he settles... he is fighting Hopkins who is a scribe in that exact thing. You can't out Bernard Bernard no matter what his age. Dawson has to come out of his comfort zone, initiate attack and come to terms to getting out thought and hit a few early & often if he has any hope what so ever. He should have listened to Manny. I think the last Hopkins I saw schools him.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I think Cap hit it pretty clean. His desire and fire in the belly are already in question before the bell rings vs Hopkins. Something that comes with a price.

Big to me is Dawson loves to downshift in fights and does not press advantages. He coasts and likes to look to control pace on his terms. He backs, he slides, he settles... he is fighting Hopkins who is a scribe in that exact thing. You can't out Bernard Bernard no matter what his age. Dawson has to come out of his comfort zone, initiate attack and come to terms to getting out thought and hit a few early & often if he has any hope what so ever. He should have listened to Manny. I think the last Hopkins I saw schools him.
    I'm not so sure Hopkins schools Dawson, but I figure Hopkins' performance will stink a little less then what Chad's does, and Hop will get the nod in a boring fight that will not be pleasing to boxing fans.

And I agree, firing Manny was idiotic, like I said on another thread, Dawson likely fired Manny because Manny was jumping his ass about being lethargic in fights, and trying to get him motivated for Hopkins.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 09-23-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

I'm not so sure Hopkins schools Dawson, but I figure Hopkins' performance will stink a little less then what Chad's does, and Hop will get the nod in a boring fight that will not be pleasing to boxing fans.

And I agree, firing Manny was idiotic, like I said on another thread, Dawson likely fired Manny because Manny was jumping his ass about being lethargic in fights, and trying to get him motivated for Hopkins.
    Who is Dawson with now?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Bernard will out hustle Dawson & do enough to win
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just wondering! Where is B-Hop at on the P4P list? And if he wins, IMPRESSIVELY, how high do he go?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Who is Dawson with now?
    He is with former trainer John Scully. Winky Wright is also apart of his new team according to this article.

Dawson Brings in Scully, Winky Wright For Steward - Boxing News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson has tremendous skills and if he can have his mind right like he did against Adamek and Tarver (1st fight), he will cause Hopkins hell.

The problem is, he is easily thrown of his fight plan. It's like he gets bored and he does take rounds off which is a bad idea against Hopkins.

Any mental lapses against X and he will make you pay for it.

I expect a close fight and i'm a big fan of both fighters so may the best man win.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pugilistic View Post
    Dawson has tremendous skills and if he can have his mind right like he did against Adamek and Tarver (1st fight), he will cause Hopkins hell.

The problem is, he is easily thrown of his fight plan. It's like he gets bored and he does take rounds off which is a bad idea against Hopkins.

Any mental lapses against X and he will make you pay for it.

I expect a close fight and i'm a big fan of both fighters so may the best man win.
    For all this talk of Bhop making people pay, when was the last time Bhop ko'd anyone? Oscar in 04'. I don't think Bhop has the punch to really stop anyone of note at light heavyweight. Bad Chad has the ability to dominate Bhop, but I lean toward Bhop here. It's not his heart that is Chad's problem it's his mind. He doesn't have the mental stamina for 12 rounds even if he has the physical tools.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always believed that Hopkins would rather control a ring or beat someone up rather then have the conclussion of a ko. Sounds weird maybe but he seriously loves to admire his own work and play ring general, hold center stage. He's had guys ready to go in career and he keeps them wounded. Can be quite frustrating, and in case of Taylor 1 come back to bite him on the ass.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

At this level, everybody has heart. Chad just seems to be an emotional person and he has trouble getting a grip on himself sometimes.. His heart isn't an issue imo... His real problem is that he
    " thinks " too much instead of acting..

High workrate is what beats hopkins especially at this stage of his career. Say what you want about jermaine taylor's ring iq but it was actually his country boy attitude that gave him success against hopkins. He didnt waste time thinking with hops.u cant try to outhink hops. Taylor just took the fight to him and stayed busy, not giving hops much time to think and react. Taylor beat him through activity and calzaghe took the similar approach.

If dawson wants to win, he has to let that shit fly without spending time trying to outhink the old fox. He must use his youth and attack with conviction. If he can show effective aggression, thatll be even better but whatever he does, he needs to keep up that workrate.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    At this level, everybody has heart. Chad just seems to be an emotional person and he has trouble getting a grip on himself sometimes.. His heart isn't an issue imo... His real problem is that he
    " thinks " too much instead of acting..

High workrate is what beats hopkins especially at this stage of his career. Say what you want about jermaine taylor's ring iq but it was actually his country boy attitude that gave him success against hopkins. He didnt waste time thinking with hops.u cant try to outhink hops. Taylor just took the fight to him and stayed busy, not giving hops much time to think and react. Taylor beat him through activity and calzaghe took the similar approach.

If dawson wants to win, he has to let that shit fly without spending time trying to outhink the old fox. He must use his youth and attack with conviction. If he can show effective aggression, thatll be even better but whatever he does, he needs to keep up that workrate.
    Dawson is 4-0 against old-timers so far...

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Dawson should win this but mentally needs the attitude Jermaine Taylor had when he fought B Hop.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information