Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you hit behind the head if opponent bent over?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can you hit behind the head if opponent bent over?

Behind the head whilst standing is a flagrant foul. But I have seen countless scenarios where 1 fighter is crouched down so low where his head is about even with the other fighter's thighs, and he gets slammed square in the back of the skull with a downward punch. If he keeps his goddam head way down there like that, is it permitted that the other fighter can chop down right onto the back of his skull? It NEVER gets a warning as far as I have seen. He is giving no other target than the back of his head.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can you hit behind the head if opponent bent over?

Is it not illegal to crouch below your opponents waistline ?
    Floyd managed to hit Hatton on the back of his head I remember and didnt get warned, Hattons head was outside the ropes at the time tho.

Found it:
    You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line
    http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Rules_of_Boxing

Floyd should of been DQ'ed against Hatton then, but it was Cortez and he dont know shit !
    Last edited by Mattyhitman; 10-13-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd is 1 big DiQk

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mattyhitman View Post
    Floyd managed to hit Hatton on the back of his head I remember and didnt get warned, Hattons head was outside the ropes at the time tho.

Found it:
    You can't hold your opponent and hit him at the same time, or duck so low that your head is below your opponent's belt line
    Rules of Boxing - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia

Floyd should of been DQ'ed against Hatton then, but it was Cortez and he dont know shit !
    Yep, if one fighter breaks the rules and the opponent has only broken the rules because of it, then the opponents rule flouting doesnt really count. Like a fighter turning his back outside of a break or ducking below the belt line. Its not the opponents fault but it is the refs fault for allowing it to happen.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Found it:

don't try to play that bullshit cause Hatton has been known to hit plenty of his opponents in the back of the head while clinching, Tszyu and Floyd just being some of them

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't think so and it shouldn't be allowed in any case. Not only can you get a legit injury but its also an unwise move by a fighter as it affords oppurtunistic sorts a chance to do a Luis Santana and take your title while laying on ones back...twice. At the time actual damage cannot be determined really but to open the door is bad enough.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Behind the head whilst standing is a flagrant foul. But I have seen countless scenarios where 1 fighter is crouched down so low where his head is about even with the other fighter's thighs, and he gets slammed square in the back of the skull with a downward punch. If he keeps his goddam head way down there like that, is it permitted that the other fighter can chop down right onto the back of his skull? It NEVER gets a warning as far as I have seen. He is giving no other target than the back of his head.
    This reminds me of Sergio Martinez vs Kermit Cintron. Not sure about the deduction. The other guy was ducking when Sergio threw the punch. You be the judge.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A punch to the back of the head can be fatal. Not only is your cervical vertebrae exposed, (and more so when bent over) and therefor your spinal cord, but it is also where your brain stem resides. Here is where crucial body systems on which we are dependent are controlled, (breathing, heartbeat etc). If you have ever been out lamping you will know that a swift smack on the back of Bugs head will make Elma Fudd redundant, hence a "rabbit punch" so no it isn't allowed and should be stopped by the ref with a warning. If tho an opponent insists on trying to ( and im not being Flomophobic here) bending forward below the waist, you should just uppercut the crass, tax dodging, ego maniac in his big ole blabber mouth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This reminds me of Francisco Lorenzo's controversial win against Humberto Soto. Joe Cortez (him, again!!!) disqualified Soto for an illegal blow to the back of the head while Lorenzo is down. The WBC refused to recognize Lorenzo as the champion because it is believed that he overdramatized the effects of the blow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    This reminds me of Sergio Martinez vs Kermit Cintron. Not sure about the deduction. The other guy was ducking when Sergio threw the punch. You be the judge.
    I hate to see fighters using the back of there head as a defence mechanism. They also cant be hit when they turn around. I would say if you break the rule protect yourself at all times which this clearly is, then its fair game, but if that was the case people would be getting punched in the back of the head all the time and it would be a very dangerous sport.
    I would like to see a more point deductions for putting your head down all the time. A couple of warnings from the ref and then a point taken.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

Found it:

don't try to play that bullshit cause Hatton has been known to hit plenty of his opponents in the back of the head while clinching, Tszyu and Floyd just being some of them
    I wasnt talking about back of the head in relation to Floyd Hatton, it was the ducking below the waistline that Floyd was continually doing to avoid being hit, this, as it states, is illegal, and should of been addressed
    I cannot control what the boxers do or what the ref does, just simply telling it as it is.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

... you should be able to.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i agree Mar, esp since Marciano knocked out Charles with 1 like that in a 6 punch combination.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins complains about it all the time, think opponents deliberately do it to needle him.

Benn ducked and dived using this method at the end of his career.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information