Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peter Quillin Fans - Tell me what you see in him.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Peter Quillin Fans - Tell me what you see in him.

Let me preface this by saying that Kid Chocolate for all intent and purposes seems like a pretty nice guy, but I know some boxing fans out there are very excited about his potential. I just watched his fight against Brinkley and I'm not convinced. At least in that fight, he seemed a bit robotic and relatively one dimensional. His footwork was lacking and he didn't threw much more than a one two. What are his main attributes other than his punching power?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Peter Quillin Fans - Tell me what you see in him.

I see the TRUTH... but i can't get into details right now cuz my girl is giving me shit.. lol

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm with Finito, dude is very good, decent power in both hands, tall & aggressive, hasn't really been babied on the way up. Not much of an amateur background though
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good boxer with plenty of potential but has got a lot of work to do to get to world level!!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    I see the TRUTH... but i can't get into details right now cuz my girl is giving me shit.. lol
    Explain.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    I'm with Finito, dude is very good, decent power in both hands, tall & aggressive, hasn't really been babied on the way up. Not much of an amateur background though
    I definitely see the power. I'm questioning what else there is to him. As far as his competition, it hasn't really been that good. He hasn't beat a Danny Jacobs or a Fernando Guerrero level middleweight. I would have been impressed if he had fought and beat Ishe Smith. McEwan isn't a bad test though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    I definitely see the power. I'm questioning what else there is to him. As far as his competition, it hasn't really been that good. He hasn't beat a Danny Jacobs or a Fernando Guerrero level middleweight. I would have been impressed if he had fought and beat Ishe Smith. McEwan isn't a bad test though.
    I'd say McEwan is a notch better than Smith and Guerrero, seeing how Guerrero barely made it past Smith

El Kabong Guest

He's an incredible athlete though his fight vs Brinkley may not have shown off that skill. He's now with Freddy Roach, he's got decent handspeed, good stamina, good pop in both hands and a good attitude. He wants to prove himself but he's not arrogant.

He should do well vs McEwan. If he wins that we may be talking about fights vs Super 6 contenders, Bute, it paves the way for big things.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    He's an incredible athlete though his fight vs Brinkley may not have shown off that skill. He's now with Freddy Roach, he's got decent handspeed, good stamina, good pop in both hands and a good attitude. He wants to prove himself but he's not arrogant.

He should do well vs McEwan. If he wins that we may be talking about fights vs Super 6 contenders, Bute, it paves the way for big things.
    He was offered the fight against Bute before Johnson and Quillin declined to face Bute (it was well-publicized at the time). Quillin's reason was that he wanted to be a middleweight.

As I'm sure you know El Kabong, being an incredible athlete and being a skillful boxer are two entirely different things. He looks a good athlete but at least in the Brinkley fight he didn't show me a lot of skill. Frankly, and I'm undecided now, but he looks like a pure puncher. Also, he looks to be a big middleweight and maybe that is why he can afford to rely on his size and power.

Why would you say McEwan is above Smith? I had Smith beating Guerrero and Jacobs by a round each, but that's just me - I know what the scorecards were. What has McEwan done? He beat Brian Vera and was up on the cards by a smidgeon against Lee at the time of the KO. Not to downplay Quillin if he beats McEwan because McEwan appears to be able to box. In fact, I think its pretty fair to say McEwan is the boxer in this match up and Quillin is the puncher.

Although Pirog like Quillin is relatively unproven, he does more in the ring than Quillin does at least on first glance.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 11-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Explain.
    He's a well schooled txtbook fighter for one thing. Kid Chocolate has a nice form and a smooth boxer-puncher style. His arsenal of punches aren't limited like many of the other fighters we see today. He throws every type of punch accordingly and knows exactly when to throw it too with a lot of speed behind it. QUillin just reminds me of one of the good fighters.. There are still unanswered questions regarding his defense and chin but offensively, he has the goods..

And i heard u mentiong how he never beat the likes of Daniel Jacobs.. Since when did fighters have to beat Jacobs to prove that they belong? lol Daniel Jacobs has never done anything and Pirog's victory over him is overrated.

That's why QUillin is stepping up against Mcewan this saturday... Daniel Jacobs isn't any more credible than McEwan as an opponent.

Peter Quillin is the real dealz and he'll be put on the map after this saturday..

BTW bruh.. There's nothing wrong with him turning down Bute's offer.. He chose to campaign at 160 so that's it. Bute can pick on someone who's not a green prospect.

QUillin is just the trooof..

El Kabong Guest

I've seen videos of the guy jumping over cars and what not. He is a true athlete, but he boxes well, he moves like an old school boxer. I have seen him stick his chin out a little too much, but he rolls and counters well. He's probably more dangerous than Andy Lee as a puncher.

I think the only guy Quillin has to worry about is Sergio. Pete's big and strong enough to hurt anyone else, that quickness and slickness that Sergio has is very dangerous though.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Explain.
    He's a well schooled txtbook fighter for one thing. Kid Chocolate has a nice form and a smooth boxer-puncher style. His arsenal of punches aren't limited like many of the other fighters we see today. He throws every type of punch accordingly and knows exactly when to throw it too with a lot of speed behind it. QUillin just reminds me of one of the good fighters.. There are still unanswered questions regarding his defense and chin but offensively, he has the goods..

And i heard u mentiong how he never beat the likes of Daniel Jacobs.. Since when did fighters have to beat Jacobs to prove that they belong? lol Daniel Jacobs has never done anything and Pirog's victory over him is overrated.

That's why QUillin is stepping up against Mcewan this saturday... Daniel Jacobs isn't any more credible than McEwan as an opponent.

Peter Quillin is the real dealz and he'll be put on the map after this saturday..

BTW bruh.. There's nothing wrong with him turning down Bute's offer.. He chose to campaign at 160 so that's it. Bute can pick on someone who's not a green prospect.

QUillin is just the trooof..
    Don't get me wrong: I'm not anti-Quillin. I'm just not sold. What fights should I check out to see him flexing boxing skills other than his punching power? Point me in the right direction. In the Brinkley fight, I believe he threw a jab, an overhand right, and a straight right, and I don't remember him throwing many combinations if at all. I also didn't see any effective defense either hands-up style or philly-shell style.

Danny Jacobs is about on par with McEwan. The only difference in the Pirog v. Jacobs fight and the Qullin v. McEwan fight is that Quillin is favored to win and Pirog was favored to lose, which is why it appears what Pirog did is impressive.

Opting to move down to middleweight rather than fight Bute at super middleweight isn't necessarily bad but calling out Martinez when you have yet to actually have a fight at 160 comes off as arrogant. Then to not fight Ishe Smith because "he doesn't do anything for you" sounded to me a little fake. Up until that point, I actually thought Quillin was a relatively publicly reserved fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have seen them both in the gym (McEwan and Quillin) and Quillin is much more revered. He hits hard with both hands and has good fundamentals. The rap on him is he can't fight backing up and if you have enough power to stop him from stalking you, he has no answer. McEwan doesn't hit hard but is pretty elusive and Quillin can be a little stiff so maybe he struggles to find him a little.

One guy that is not a good fit for Quillin is Sergio. Sergio does exactly what Chocolate doesn't like. I think he can beat Pirog though.

With regard to the "Quillin hasn't been babied" statement, tell me your are kidding. His ascent to the top has been a joke and he took McEwan because he saw him everyday at the WC and doesn't believe McEwan can hurt him.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post
    I have seen them both in the gym (McEwan and Quillin) and Quillin is much more revered. He hits hard with both hands and has good fundamentals. The rap on him is he can't fight backing up and if you have enough power to stop him from stalking you, he has no answer. McEwan doesn't hit hard but is pretty elusive and Quillin can be a little stiff so maybe he struggles to find him a little.

One guy that is not a good fit for Quillin is Sergio. Sergio does exactly what Chocolate doesn't like. I think he can beat Pirog though.

With regard to the "Quillin hasn't been babied" statement, tell me your are kidding. His ascent to the top has been a joke and he took McEwan because he saw him everyday at the WC and doesn't believe McEwan can hurt him.

This makes a lot of sense and what I would have guessed. Quillin picked McEwan because McEwan can't punch and maybe McEwan will make this interesting because he is a better boxer but Quillin will come forward until he catches him.

How's Quillin's chin?

Why do you think Pirog wouldn't beat Quillin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gocougars3 View Post

This makes a lot of sense and what I would have guessed. Quillin picked McEwan because McEwan can't punch and maybe McEwan will make this interesting because he is a better boxer but Quillin will come forward until he catches him.

How's Quillin's chin?

Why do you think Pirog wouldn't beat Quillin?
    I can't really comment on his chin. He was hurt by Miranda in 08 but his competition has been lacking since then. He was tough in the gym, very confident and bold but that is different.

I think he beats Pirog because he punches with bad intentions and I think he can walk through Pirog's arm punches.

Thread Information