Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Miguel Cotto won't rule out Mayweather, Canelo, Chavez

By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30KOs) is officially a free agent. The Puerto Rican star's contract with Top Rank expired on December 31st. Cotto is sizing up his options for 2012 and he doesn't rule out any of the possibilities. Cotto is planning to continue working with Top Rank, likely without a contract, on a fight by fight basis.

Some of the possible options could include WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather, Jr., and even a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, the WBO's welterweight champion who stopped Cotto in the tweflth round of their 2009 bout.

"I do not rule out any of those fights. We have always been open to big names, big challenges, and all of these fights are major challenges. We'll see what offers the new year brings, and we'll review them, analyze them and then make the best decision," said Cotto to Jose Sanchez.

Wow... Cotto is starting to grow some cojones.. Mad props if he fights one of these non-handicap fighters..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Miguel Cotto won't rule out Mayweather, Canelo, Chavez

Watershed moment in the career of one of PR's finest and the object of some posters in heres lust filled wet dreams.

Its obvious that MAyweather and Pacquiao would beat Cotto but i think that even Canelo and maybe JCC Jr. could beat him with the right game plan.

Here's how I see these play out

Cotto VS JCC Jr.
    Cotto is small at 154lbs and the sheer size advantage that JCC brings in (weighs around 170 on fight night) would make it a long night for Cotto. Cotto is obviously more talented but he's war torn and bruises and cuts pretty easily. while JCC is slower and is less skilled, he's not afraid to mix it up, has a great chin, has huge reach and height advantage, and by the time a fight could be made would be better overall technically as he has shown in his recent fights. If JCC comes in well conditioned I'd have it at 60%-40% for Cotto to win by decision barely!!

Cotto VS Canelo
    Almost the same scenario as above except Canelo has better craft then JCC Jr and because of this I think he is in better postition to land more powerful punches which easily hurt Cotto. I would expect a fight like the Margarito fight where Cotto is fighting off the back foot for most of the fight, the fight continues until Cotto tires and Canelo catches him. I would expect to see Cotto get knocked down and Canelo winning the fight by decision.

Cotto VS Pacman
    Fight could actually be better than the 1st fight if Cotto boxes more as he did in the second half of the first fight. Would probably go to a decision as PacMan, as shown in his last 3 fights, is slowing down in punch output so he wont be able to stop Cotto this time around.

Cotto VS Mayweather
    Long boring fight where Cotto gets beat to the punch everytime, gets cut and bruised up on his way to lose by Unanimous decision.

I think Cotto should fight James Kirkland, it would be an exciting match and I think James can still be outboxed and most likely knocked out by a strong accurate puncher like Cotto. Kirkland would be alot stronger and the way bigger man so it would still be dangerous but I think Cotto can still pull it off.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    By Jhonny Gonzalez

WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-2, 30KOs) is officially a free agent. The Puerto Rican star's contract with Top Rank expired on December 31st. Cotto is sizing up his options for 2012 and he doesn't rule out any of the possibilities. Cotto is planning to continue working with Top Rank, likely without a contract, on a fight by fight basis.

Some of the possible options could include WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez, WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather, Jr., and even a rematch with Manny Pacquiao, the WBO's welterweight champion who stopped Cotto in the tweflth round of their 2009 bout.

"I do not rule out any of those fights. We have always been open to big names, big challenges, and all of these fights are major challenges. We'll see what offers the new year brings, and we'll review them, analyze them and then make the best decision," said Cotto to Jose Sanchez.

Wow... Cotto is starting to grow some cojones.. Mad props if he fights one of these non-handicap fighters..
    starting to? his resume speaks for itself, if having that much of a stacked record is playing it safe I'd love to see a "risk takers" record

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By Jhonny Gonzalez

I think his just looking for money at this stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    By Jhonny Gonzalez

starting to? his resume speaks for itself, if having that much of a stacked record is playing it safe I'd love to see a "risk takers" record
    If he is looking for a big challenge he would fight Martinez. If he was really a " risk taker "
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mayweather and Pacquiao are fights I see Cotto losing but Chavez and Canelo I think he can beat. Chavez an Canelo will have a big size advantage but Cotto's experience and ability would get him a hard fought decision.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post
    Watershed moment in the career of one of PR's finest and the object of some posters in heres lust filled wet dreams.

Its obvious that MAyweather and Pacquiao would beat Cotto but i think that even Canelo and maybe JCC Jr. could beat him with the right game plan.

Here's how I see these play out

Cotto VS JCC Jr.
    Cotto is small at 154lbs and the sheer size advantage that JCC brings in (weighs around 170 on fight night) would make it a long night for Cotto. Cotto is obviously more talented but he's war torn and bruises and cuts pretty easily. while JCC is slower and is less skilled, he's not afraid to mix it up, has a great chin, has huge reach and height advantage, and by the time a fight could be made would be better overall technically as he has shown in his recent fights. If JCC comes in well conditioned I'd have it at 60%-40% for Cotto to win by decision barely!!

Cotto VS Canelo
    Almost the same scenario as above except Canelo has better craft then JCC Jr and because of this I think he is in better postition to land more powerful punches which easily hurt Cotto. I would expect a fight like the Margarito fight where Cotto is fighting off the back foot for most of the fight, the fight continues until Cotto tires and Canelo catches him. I would expect to see Cotto get knocked down and Canelo winning the fight by decision.

Cotto VS Pacman
    Fight could actually be better than the 1st fight if Cotto boxes more as he did in the second half of the first fight. Would probably go to a decision as PacMan, as shown in his last 3 fights, is slowing down in punch output so he wont be able to stop Cotto this time around.

Cotto VS Mayweather
    Long boring fight where Cotto gets beat to the punch everytime, gets cut and bruised up on his way to lose by Unanimous decision.

I think Cotto should fight James Kirkland, it would be an exciting match and I think James can still be outboxed and most likely knocked out by a strong accurate puncher like Cotto. Kirkland would be alot stronger and the way bigger man so it would still be dangerous but I think Cotto can still pull it off.

Chavez Jr. has weighed around 180 for his last couple fights at 160. Not 170. 180. Chavez Jr. should be at 168 while Cotto could probably go back to 147 if the money was right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's going to be Cotto vs Mayweather in May. For Pacman is going to sign a fight right before Mayweather get out the pin.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto is obviously cashing in, the Margarito fight was the same. If you are so upset by an opponent then have him charged with manslaughter, you don't fight the man. Cotto's morals are shifting ones and it isn't as though he hasn't fought his share of filler in recent years.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even ElTerrible will admit that at this stage of his career, Cotto is in the market for big money fights. Sergio Martinez is doing the same thing but it's actually realistic for Cotto. As stated before by another poster, if Cotto wanted to take a risk, he would take on Sergio Martinez. Sergio has called Cotto out unlike the boxers mentioned.

Out of those options though, as a Cotto fan, I like the Canelo fight. There's the Mexican-Puerto Rican rivalry and the back story that Canelo beat his brother. It doesn't hurt that they are both the same size. I'm not convinced Canelo is ready for Cotto. I favor Cotto at this point in that fight.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By Jhonny Gonzalez

Yea bro.. I give him alot of credit for stepping up to Margarito in 08 and for the fact that he gave into Pacman's catchweight demand but all the fights that took place before 08 and after the pacman bout were calculated moves.. I dont see Cotto as a big risk taker and his resume isn't that mind boggling..

Cotto is a perfect example of how Arum handles his fighters.. They get pampered. Cotto turned pro in the early 2000 and his first real step up was none other than ZAB JUDAH in 07.. IT took him nearly 7 years to fight somebody with a name..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By Jhonny Gonzalez

Yea bro.. I give him alot of credit for stepping up to Margarito in 08 and for the fact that he gave into Pacman's catchweight demand but all the fights that took place before 08 and after the pacman bout were calculated moves.. I dont see Cotto as a big risk taker and his resume isn't that mind boggling..

Cotto is a perfect example of how Arum handles his fighters.. They get pampered. Cotto turned pro in the early 2000 and his first real step up was none other than ZAB JUDAH in 07.. IT took him nearly 7 years to fight somebody with a name..
    Pre-and including-Margarito I, Cotto had as solid of a resume as anyone in boxing. Post-Margarito I, Cotto's fights have all been calculated moves.

At this point in his career, Canelo, Chavez Jr. and Mayweather are the big $ fights. Cotto isn't taking the risks that a fight with Sergio Martinez or James Kirkland would bring. He's fortunate to be in that position in a way. Cotto's fight with Margarito did 550K ppv buys allegedly. That's big-time. Other than Mayweather and Pacquiao, no one else does those numbers. Frankly, I bet he can duplicate it with a Canelo fight.

El Kabong Guest

I've said it for a long time, Cotto has a solid style to fight Mayweather. Good solid jab, good pop, he can still dig to the body, and he's a lot better boxer than he's given credit for. The handspeed issue has popped up throughout Miguel's career most notably in the Pacquiao fight (where Cotto didn't have a trainer in his corner or during his training) but I remember when he fought Mosley and Zab those two were supposed to have better handspeed, they did, but in those fights it was all about TIMING and Miguel can do that. Remember how well De la Hoya did vs Floyd...I think Cotto can bring similar trouble to Floyd. Plus, Floyd likes getting a rise out of people....you just can't outrage Cotto, dude is stonefaced, he doesn't get visibly riled up.

In the Pacquiao rematch all Cotto needs to do is copy what JMM did which I think he can do AND add power to it...dude lasted a long time without being properly trained the first time, he may surprise people in a rematch, if anything it would be more competitive.

JC Jr. is still a bit raw, he's been moved along quite slowly. He's big, but he doesn't seem to hit like a 180 pounder.

Canelo is a pick'em fight, I'd favor Cotto though...I mean just a while ago Jose Miguel Cotto lasted 9 with Canelo, Matthew Hatton lasted the distance! I think Miguel Cotto is more talented than those guys.

I even think Cotto-Martinez is a pretty close fight...Miguel has done well with southpaws before. I just doubt he wants to move to 160 because he's too small

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Glad Cotto is a free agent which should mean he is getting the most out of his career in terms of money and opportunities. He should not bother going up to middleweight, or down to welterweight, that can wait as a back up should he lose. The ideal fight would be against Canelo, which would be a unification fight against a Mexican undefeated fighter.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get so excited thinking about Cotto - Canelo. It would truely be such a memorable fight, I hope it happens in 2012.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By Jhonny Gonzalez

he beat Bazan, N'Dou before picking up his title against Pinto who at the time was considered a top guy at 140 and was even set to fight Hatton, he beat Sosa who had given Mayweather a hell of a fight and Corley who had just stunned the fuck out of Mayweather and lost a close fight against Judah, he later fought tough top guys at 140 such as Malignaggi, Torres, Bailey, etc., at 147 he fought Quintana before he beat Judah and Quintana had just come off his then best performance against highly rated Joel Julio, also he went on to beat Williams afterwards, you can manipulate his record all you want but name any other guy in his weight class that he "avoided", he tried to make the Hatton fight but by the time it was available Hatton was about to jump back down to 140 and Cotto was moving up to 147, Mayweather avoided the fight and decided to go up against lesser opposition, only gimme's Cotto has really had since the his "loss" to Margarito was Jennings and Mayorga

Clottey, Foreman, and the Margarito rematch are all valid fights, hell he was chosen to lose all 3 fucking fights....

Thread Information