Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Pacman fights June 9 or 16.... No superfight in May

Top Rank chief Bob Arum told fightnews and Manila Bulletin that Manny Pacquiao will return to the ring on June 9 or June 16 against a soon-to-be-named opponent. Together with Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser Mike Koncz, Arum is traveling to Manila Sunday and he will be arriving Tuesday morning.

Four names have emerged as candidates to face Pacquiao but the leading candidates are Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez, while the darkhorse favorites are Lamont Peterson and Miguel Cotto. Arum said the lucrative showdown with Floyd Mayweather will be perfect for November, and not on May 5.

The MGM Grand can only hold 18,000 people and a fight of such magnitude, stressed Arum, has to be staged in a bigger venue to maximize revenue.

- Fight News

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pacman fights June 9 or 16.... No superfight in May

The only news I want to hear of Arum is that he's retired.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really hope they put the fight in Vancouver, I know that's something they talked about in the past.

It's Bradley or nothing for me. I have no interest in seeing a JMM or Cotto rematch, I think both fights would play out exactly the same, and Peterson would get absolutely massacred.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pacman not fighting until June? I have my suspicions here, Pacquaio looked ordinary in his last fight against Marquez, so his answer is a 7 month lay off? Pacquaio is the type of fighter that will get old very quickly, i suspect that his camp know this and are giving him plenty of time to rejuvenate and probably get a little more enthused about his next fight? He looked flat against Marquez.
    The Floyd issue has become a joke and i think it could become irrelevant as Pacquaio is closer to his next loss than many people think. He has many distractions outside the ring and the Floyd issue has now bored most boxing fans to death. It would not surprise me at all if the Pacman lost a wide UD in his next fight and that would end the career there and then. I am a Pacman fan, but that last fight was rubbish, in my view waiting until mid June is a huge mistake.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Pacman not fighting until June? I have my suspicions here, Pacquaio looked ordinary in his last fight against Marquez, so his answer is a 7 month lay off? Pacquaio is the type of fighter that will get old very quickly, i suspect that his camp know this and are giving him plenty of time to rejuvenate and probably get a little more enthused about his next fight? He looked flat against Marquez.
    The Floyd issue has become a joke and i think it could become irrelevant as Pacquaio is closer to his next loss than many people think. He has many distractions outside the ring and the Floyd issue has now bored most boxing fans to death. It would not surprise me at all if the Pacman lost a wide UD in his next fight and that would end the career there and then. I am a Pacman fan, but that last fight was rubbish, in my view waiting until mid June is a huge mistake.
    I think Pacquiao reached his peak in the Cotto fight. He's looked progressively worse in every fight since then.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bob Arum is Boxings cancer.
    “Boxing is like jazz. The better it is, the less people appreciate it.”
    - George Foreman

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gone without this fight for five years and haven't lost any sleep, at this point it's like deciding which
    Kardashian has more purpose in life.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I think Pacquiao reached his peak in the Cotto fight. He's looked progressively worse in every fight since then.
    Yep, i would go along with that, Cotto was never in the fight and Pacman just bullied him all fight. I haven't seen that since.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IMO now that Cotto has an actual corner he would fare way better than he did in the first fight

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

this makes sense.
    since they're gonna try to make this into another super fight they're gonna need some time to get it organised and to get the public excited about it. they had the world's attention 3 years ago but really blew it by stalling.

problem is arum was saying pac could fight in may knowng mayweather wasn't gonna be ready cause of the jail term. now that the jail term has been pushed back til after may 5, floyd's not gonna be ready for a november fight either. convenient for arum and pac.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, i would go along with that, Cotto was never in the fight and Pacman just bullied him all fight. I haven't seen that since.

I don't know..... I thought Cotto may have even won the first couple of rounds. He was boxing well, and snapping Pac's head back with the jab. It was when he decided to trade with the "buzzsaw", that it all went downhill from there. That's why I think he needed a trainer change a LONG time ago. Now that he's finally done it, I think a rematch would be a lot more competitive.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I don't know..... I thought Cotto may have even won the first couple of rounds. He was boxing well, and snapping Pac's head back with the jab. It was when he decided to trade with the "buzzsaw", that it all went downhill from there. That's why I think he needed a trainer change a LONG time ago. Now that he's finally done it, I think a rematch would be a lot more competitive.
    It was competitive for three rounds, even after the first knock down. That beautiful counter-upper cut Pacquiao landed in the fourth effectively ended the fight. From then on it was sheer domination while Cotto tried to get away and survive.

I don't see Cotto faring any better in a second fight. He still won't be able to take Pacquiao's punches.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yawn yawn.....
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bored of the antics..Hope they go Marquez 4 and JMM finally gets his victory to put and end to the Arum charade

Thread Information