Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arrow Rico Ramos vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux - friday night fight thread

A Jr. featherweight title bout for us fans from Vegas tonight, no ESPN FNF this week.

Jan. 20
    At Las Vegas (Showtime): Rico Ramos vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux, 12 rounds, for Ramos' WBA junior featherweight title
    ; Guy Robb vs. Joel Diaz, 8 rounds, junior lightweights; Matt Villanueva vs. Michael Ruiz Jr., 6 or 8 rounds, junior bantamweights; Javier Molina vs. TBA, 6 or 8 rounds, welterweights.
    I've seen both Ramos and Rigondeaux fight, but can't recall much about it, hopefully we get a good one.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 01-20-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Rico Ramos vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux - friday night on Showtime

I don't know much about Ramos, but Rigondeaux has been fairly impressive relative to all the hype heaped upon him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rico Ramos is the man! Def will be tuning in for this one.
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I don't know much about Ramos, but Rigondeaux has been fairly impressive relative to all the hype heaped upon him.
    According to BoxRec:
    Guillermo Rigondeaux - Boxer

Guillermo Rigondeaux was another Cuban amateur who defected and turned pro along with Erislandy Lara in 2007. Rigondeaux only has an 8-0 record with 6 KO's as a pro, but claims over 400 wins as a Cuban amateur, and he's already 31 years old.

Rico Ramos is 20-0 as a pro with 11 KO's, he won the WBA Jr. FW title from Akifumi Shimoda via 7th round KO in July of last year, and will be defending it for the first time against Rigondeaux.
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...7374&cat=boxer

On paper it sounds like it should be a hell of a fight, hell, I might have to have a brew or 2.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 01-17-2012 at 04:36 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if you're in a hurry, go straight to minute 2:11 but if not enjoy the show

Akifumi Shimoda vs Rico Ramos - Round 7 - YouTube
    The key is Self-discipline.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Onix View Post

Meh, I'm not impressed by that. The stoppage was nice, but he looked sloppy before that and the HBO crew only had given him one round to that point. I didn't see anything that makes me think he'll be a threat to Rigondeaux. But, that's just one round of one fight, so it's hard to draw any real conclusions either way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Akifumi Shimoda vs Rico Ramos - Round 7 -

I remember that fight now, Ramos was pretty much getting schooled by Shimoda in the first 6 rounds, then caught up with him in the 7th, a beautiful left hook that put Shimoda's lights out.

Rigondeaux figures to be a tough fight for Ramos, so we shall see.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh, I'm not impressed by that. The stoppage was nice, but he looked sloppy before that and the HBO crew only had given him one round to that point. I didn't see anything that makes me think he'll be a threat to Rigondeaux. But, that's just one round of one fight, so it's hard to draw any real conclusions either way.
    Rigondeaux is a hell of a lot better fighter than Shimoda, Ramos can't afford to get behind on the cards this time.
    Last edited by Mars_ax; 01-17-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll go out on a limb and say this before the Ramos fight, Rigandeaux should dominate Ramos and anyone else at 122, not named Nonito Donaire. I see Rigandeaux beating Nishioka (toughest at 122 outside of Donaire), Poonsawat or Shimoda. That doesn't mean I don't want to see Donaire face Nishioka etc., just that in my opinion, the true best fight in the lighter weight classes is between Donaire and Rigandeaux. Rigandeaux is the real deal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I read an interview with Dan Goosen (who promotes Ramos), where he more or less conceded that Ramos needs a KO to win. I agree with that assessment. He looked bad against Shimoda (though, to be fair, that's the only time I've seen him fight).

I haven't seen enough of Rigondeaux to jump on the bandwagon with rantcatrat yet but, like everyone else, I've read the obligatory reference to him being "one of the greatest amateur fighters of all time" every time his name is mentioned in an article -- so what you say/predict is not implausible w/r/t the rest of the division.

Hopefully he looks spectacular and Nonito fights him next before going to 126.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    I read an interview with Dan Goosen (who promotes Ramos), where he more or less conceded that Ramos needs a KO to win. I agree with that assessment. He looked bad against Shimoda (though, to be fair, that's the only time I've seen him fight).

I haven't seen enough of Rigondeaux to jump on the bandwagon with rantcatrat yet but, like everyone else, I've read the obligatory reference to him being "one of the greatest amateur fighters of all time" every time his name is mentioned in an article -- so what you say/predict is not implausible w/r/t the rest of the division.

That is my point. Although I like the Nishioka fight and I believe it could be great exposure for Donaire in the Asian boxing community, the real challenge at 122 in my opinion is Rigandeaux. I could be wrong though. Ramos is a decent test and I'm exicted to watch it on Friday.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ramos must have some confidence in himself or know something, because he chose Rigondeaux as his next opponent. I respect Ramos for fighting the best, and hope he does well, i'm not a big fan of Castro's boys who defect to the U.S..

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Ramos must have some confidence in himself or know something, because he chose Rigondeaux as his next opponent. I respect Ramos for fighting the best, and hope he does well, i'm not a big fan of Castro's boys who defect to the U.S..
    Much respect for him. He also just came off of a risky fight against Shimoda. He just appears over his head here. You never know though...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Some will think i'm crazy, but after teddy atlas making rigondeaux seem like jesus and a prime ali mixed in one i payed attention to the guy and im sorry i just don't see it. The guy is good maybe even a little better than he record but i wouldn't be surprised at all to see ramos beat him. We'll win cause this should be a decent scrap
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rico seemed, nervous but SHimoda was basically running and throwing shots, it took awhile for Ramos to change gears, but he seemed like a much more well rounded fighter than SHimoda. He also sparred against Rigondeaux back at the wildcard gym, and got kind of famous for saying that he didn't feel Rigondeaux was overally special when they sparred. I think they are both very talented and it should be a good fight, though I obviously favor Rigondeaux.

Thread Information