Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What to do about boxing judges?

I wanted to know what you guys thought should be done reform judges in boxing. Should ex-fighters be judges? Open scoring? Other ideas? Nothing has ever been done about the epidemic of bad judging decisions. Whether it be Macklin/Sturm or Cloud/Campillo, judges have consistently fucked up. Of course there are good ones, like the judges who scored the Rubio/Chavez fight and two of the judges for the Donaire/Vasquez fight. Let me know what your ideas are. I'm interested in hearing them

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem comes in establishing who should decide which fights have been poorly judged. There seem to be a few inept judges who consistently score in such a weird esoteric way that the boxing press, general fan consensus and other boxers disagree with them. They then continue to be used even though their scoring criteria is completely at odds with reality. Who decides when a judges performance is below par? The state or country in which the fight Is held seen to have the power to hold referees to account but then what about judges,? Then again Joe Cortez kinda proves even that argument a little invalid.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What to do about boxing judges?

The learning process to become a judge in theory should create competent judges. In most states, to become a judge requires first being an apprentice, which involves unofficially scoring fights with a mentor judge. Following the apprenticeship, the judge is certified as a boxing judge. The novice judge begins scoring 4 round fights, eventually moving on to 6 or 8 rounders, 10-12 rounders, and then championship fights. I believe there are continuing education classes for judges so that judges keep sharp. Consequently, the gradual nature of the learning process and the continual learning process should mold consistent, competent judges.

Still, judging is inherently subjective. Judges are taught to score fights based on (1) effective aggression; (2) clean punching; (3) ring generalship; and (4) defense. However, one judge may reward effective aggression more than defense, 3 clean punches more than 6 semi-clean punches, or hard punches over volume.

One thing that should be addressed are the conflicts of interest. In championship fights, judges are paid for by the state boxing commission out of the commission's fees from the championship fight. If a promoter is paying a judge $5000 to score a championship fight, providing accomodation and travel expenses to the judge, a judge may feel inclined to give close rounds to the promoter's fighter in order to put them in a good position to be hired in the future by that promoter. It's an inherent conflict of interest. Now, there may be less of a problem if the judge's expenses are being paid for by the state's commission with no relationship to a promoter or the fight. Does anyone know if state's commissions pay for judges or if promoters do?
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-21-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, from what I understand, if a judge scores a fight poorly, in theory, the judge is required to review the scoring with the commission, explaining the scores.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red, I've read in more than one place that the most important ingredient in scoring a fight is concentration. One tool some judge use to maximize their concentration is to divide the three minute round into 3 one minute rounds. This is just a tool. Don't forget that one third of a round may be stronger than the other two thirds, but it's helpful in close rounds.
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 02-21-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe that if somebody does a bad enough job, they should be fired. Like the rest of us.

Joe Cortez. Fire him.
    The two judges who scored the fight for Cloud. Fire them.

They need to do their jobs the right way. End of discussion...

There should be some sort of committee review for that sort of thing. I don't know. Shit just needs to be done.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am always a fan of systems, in this case. I believe that judges should be rated class A, B, C, D, E etc.
    Now fights would have to be ranked in order of importance:

A. Title fight
    B. Eliminator
    C. top 20 ranked fighters
    D. top 50 ranked fighters
    E. lower ranks, etc.
    F. unsanctioned fights

This system of 6 ranks is simply for example and I'm not married to the idea. Now everyone starts as an F, in order to go from F to E judges would have to go through a certification program (fees can pay for the classes) that explains how to score a fight and includes testing and approval from a sanctioning body.

Now to move up from E to D a judge must judge 10 fights at lower levels without recourse from a sanctioning body. If the judge is found to be inept the cert can be revoked and the judge goes back an F status, otherwise they can apply to move up to D status.

This will continue from D to C, C to B and B to A. This makes incentive (bigger paydays) based on a successful track record as opposed to just knowing someone.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If they judge a fight wrong they will be executed in the ring after announcing the scores lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    One thing that should be addressed are the conflicts of interest. In championship fights, judges are paid for by the state boxing commission out of the commission's fees from the championship fight. If a promoter is paying a judge $5000 to score a championship fight, providing accomodation and travel expenses to the judge, a judge may feel inclined to give close rounds to the promoter's fighter in order to put them in a good position to be hired in the future by that promoter. It's an inherent conflict of interest. Now, there may be less of a problem if the judge's expenses are being paid for by the state's commission with no relationship to a promoter or the fight. Does anyone know if state's commissions pay for judges or if promoters do?
    But at least officially, promoters do not have any say what judges are hired, even if the money they're paid with theoretically passes through the promoter at one point in the chain: (a) commission picks judges, (b) fans pay for fight, (c) some tiny fraction of the money that fans paid for fight gets diverted to the judges.

Unless you are alleging outright corruption/ a break from how it's set up to work, I don't see any conflict of interest. Plus, the money we're talking about is peanuts. I'm pretty sure the great majority of these guys have day jobs.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There must be a promotion and demotion of referees program for all commissions. I think that everybody can have 1 chance of a bad score BUT in severe cases eg: the judge Mr Robertson who scored for cloud 116-110 , he should be demoted to 6-8 rounders and asked to take or re-sit and judging tests if any.

Same with judges in 6-8-10 rounders , if they constantly score fight very well they should be promoted to title class.

I feel it would keep refs / judges on their toes a whole lot more.
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Judges have ass-holes just like everyone else. Title fights should have at least 5 Judges. There are a few good judges that can be non-bias but that doesn't make the process any less subjective.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    I am always a fan of systems, in this case. I believe that judges should be rated class A, B, C, D, E etc.
    Now fights would have to be ranked in order of importance:

A. Title fight
    B. Eliminator
    C. top 20 ranked fighters
    D. top 50 ranked fighters
    E. lower ranks, etc.
    F. unsanctioned fights

This system of 6 ranks is simply for example and I'm not married to the idea. Now everyone starts as an F, in order to go from F to E judges would have to go through a certification program (fees can pay for the classes) that explains how to score a fight and includes testing and approval from a sanctioning body.

Now to move up from E to D a judge must judge 10 fights at lower levels without recourse from a sanctioning body. If the judge is found to be inept the cert can be revoked and the judge goes back an F status, otherwise they can apply to move up to D status.

This will continue from D to C, C to B and B to A. This makes incentive (bigger paydays) based on a successful track record as opposed to just knowing someone.
    That is a logical idea, combined with promotions and demotions it works.
    Good job.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    But at least officially, promoters do not have any say what judges are hired, even if the money they're paid with theoretically passes through the promoter at one point in the chain: (a) commission picks judges, (b) fans pay for fight, (c) some tiny fraction of the money that fans paid for fight gets diverted to the judges.

Unless you are alleging outright corruption/ a break from how it's set up to work, I don't see any conflict of interest. Plus, the money we're talking about is peanuts. I'm pretty sure the great majority of these guys have day jobs.
    I'm not alleging outright corruption. I wasn't sure whether promoters pay the judges or if the commission hires them. Can promoters veto judges? How are judges picked? Is it a lottery?

Judges are paid somwhere around $5000 for a title fight, and $3000 for the average televised fight + travel and accomodation expenses. It's not a bad living on the top level.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There has to be some sort of corruption. Something isn't right when a guy like Mr. Robertson is working on a world title fight as a judge and screws it up that bad.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Open scoring (or some fascimile) has been tried in one of the organizations (forget which), and doesn't work too well. They announce the score after the 4th round, I think. In any case, I think judges scores should be turned in after EVERY round. And if that's already being done, why on Earth do some fights take forever to add up the cards and announce the decision? It just feeds the suspicion everyone has that the scores can be tinkered with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to collect cards from 3 judges at the end of each round and have them added up. That way, after the final round, you only have to add the scores from that last round. No complicated math here.

What this would do also is keep the judges attention on the CURRENT round. No going back and looking at how they scored the previous rounds. That is water under the bridge. A fight should be scored round-by-round, each round under its own merits. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some judges take a long time at the end, because they're reviewing their own scoring throughout the fight, and maybe trying to force a certain outcome. That should not be allowed.

And if paper is a problem, have the judges punch in the end-of-round score electronically. Again... maybe they already do this, I don't know. All I know is that boxing should do everything possible to keep the judges' focus strictly on the round happening in front of them. And announcing of the final score at the end of even the closest and most controversial fights should be a matter of seconds.... not long, drawn-out minutes. Again... it's not calculus or trigonometry. It's simple arithmetic.

Thread Information