Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Ricky Hatton Hall Of Fame Worthy?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Ricky Hatton Hall Of Fame Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Only way he sees the HOF is as a paying customer.
    lol.. I agree. HOF's credibility would turn into shit if they let Hatton in.. Close the gate on that boring muthafucker..

IF Hatton was an American and was under a so-so promoter like Dibella or Banner for instance, he would have been a fringe contender at best.. He fuckin sucked..

Only reason why he was able to build a huge fanbase was becaues of his personality and Frank Warren's promoting ability... Without those two elements, he wouldnt have been shit..

So no, there is no way that a fighter like Hatton should get into the Hall.. HOF is for the great fighters.. Not some mediocre joes..

But he'll probably get in anyways cuz of his popularity... what a bullshit..

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Anyone that has 30,000 bods follow them halfway across the world - who inturn drink the city dry - is a shoo-in. Fact.

Really? That's all you need? A huge, loyal, drunken following?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Anyone that has 30,000 bods follow them halfway across the world - who inturn drink the city dry - is a shoo-in. Fact.

It's not the hall of talent.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

So you can be talent-less and STILL make the Hall? Really?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You gotta get to a certain level to even become famous, Hatton was what he was, an exciting dirty fighter that brought a metric shit ton of fans to watch him fight. Was he the most talented of his day? Hell no, but he definitely helped the sport as a whole via sales and his fame. It's an important thing to the survival of the sport.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You gotta get to a certain level to even become famous, Hatton was what he was, an exciting dirty fighter that brought a metric shit ton of fans to watch him fight. Was he the most talented of his day? Hell no, but he definitely helped the sport as a whole via sales and his fame. It's an important thing to the survival of the sport.

Well, certainly there's a lot of things that factor into whether or not a fighter is Hall-worthy. Had Hatton been an American fighter, with the same skills, I doubt whether too many people would be talking about him today. But he's English... and let's face it... a nation that embraces boxing so much but has been somewhat short on world champions as of late.... they're bound to latch onto someone like Hatton with all their might. And that in itself I guess should be considered somewhere in there.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, certainly there's a lot of things that factor into whether or not a fighter is Hall-worthy. Had Hatton been an American fighter, with the same skills, I doubt whether too many people would be talking about him today. But he's English... and let's face it... a nation that embraces boxing so much but has been somewhat short on world champions as of late.... they're bound to latch onto someone like Hatton with all their might. And that in itself I guess should be considered somewhere in there.
    That's the only point I'm making really, I mean aside from Pacquiao that level of obsession isn't around with any other fighter today. There are a lot of guys that have good support and plenty of nations support their guys well, but he was at another level in that regard.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the only point I'm making really, I mean aside from Pacquiao that level of obsession isn't around with any other fighter today. There are a lot of guys that have good support and plenty of nations support their guys well, but he was at another level in that regard.

I was astounded by the hundreds(?) of fans who got on a plane and flew from the UK to Las Vegas, JUST to see Hatton fight Mayweather. Gotta admire that kind of devotion.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton deserves to be in there, he achieved more than Joe Galzaghe. If Hatton stayed with Warren he too would have remained undefeated champion but he took his chances and went to the states and all credit for him to do that. He only ever lost to the very best.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton is worthy of his spot, nothing to prove.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Of course, he had a very good career. People hate on Hatton because of the two losses, but he had a long and active career and beat several very good opponents. The man was a two weight world champion and was the man in his division for several years.
    no, people "hate" on Hatton cause of his opponent selection for the vast majority of his career aside from Tszyu (depending on who you ask) and the two guys he lost to, after winning against Kostya he fought the likes of Maussa, was given a gift against Collazo, a good win against a then undefeated Urango, fought a shot Castillo, then got his ass whooped by Floyd, looked like crap against Lazcano, beat up Malignaggi, then got his ass KO'd again this time by Pacquiao, it's not that stellar of a title reign if you really break it down
    I think you are being a bit harsh there.

He fought Carlos Maussa when Maussa was World Champion and Maussa was coming of the back of an upset win of the, At the time, highly Vivian Harris. He then got a good win against Urango. I would hardly say his fight against Collazo was a gift certainly not a gift of the Pac-Man Vs Marquez proportions. I would say it was more of Lewis-Holyfield or Hopkins - Taylor fight were either fighter could have laid claim to the fact that they won.

Then you say he fought a shot Castillo. Why you say that ? Castillo has fought 12 times since that fight, yes he has been beaten 3 times, twice on points and another fight were he failed to come out for the 6th but since the Hatton fight no-one has knocked him out or stopped him on his feet.

When he fought Mayweather. That was close fight for 6 rounds, then Mayweather pulled away. He hardly got owned. When Mayweather fought Gatti THAT'S WHAT YOU CALLING AN OWNING. Hatton, though there was no question as to who was the better man put up a good performance against Mayweather.

Ok. The Lazcona fight was not his best but then you say he beat Malinaggi since when has that been an easy thing ? Malinaggi has fought 34 times the only fighters to beat him other than Hatton are Cotto, Khan and Juan Diaz...and he took Cotto and Diaz the distance.

Pac-Man ? I tend to blame Mayweather Snr (His trainer) for that one. Badly prepared and trained. Even Hatton himself said he knew he was going to lose as he entered the ring.

By the way I don't think Hatton he should be in the hall of fame but I don't think his career was no where near as bad as you make out
    Last edited by denilson200; 03-03-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't really argue against a font that size. Jolly good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course, he had a very good career. People hate on Hatton because of the two losses, but he had a long and active career and beat several very good opponents. The man was a two weight world champion and was the man in his division for several years.
    you lost me when you said 2 weight. He did not beat Luis Collazo. He lost that fight.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can't really argue against a font that size. Jolly good.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by denilson200 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    no, people "hate" on Hatton cause of his opponent selection for the vast majority of his career aside from Tszyu (depending on who you ask) and the two guys he lost to, after winning against Kostya he fought the likes of Maussa, was given a gift against Collazo, a good win against a then undefeated Urango, fought a shot Castillo, then got his ass whooped by Floyd, looked like crap against Lazcano, beat up Malignaggi, then got his ass KO'd again this time by Pacquiao, it's not that stellar of a title reign if you really break it down
    I think you are being a bit harsh there.

He fought Carlos Maussa when Maussa was World Champion and Maussa was coming of the back of an upset win of the, At the time, highly Vivian Harris. He then got a good win against Urango. I would hardly say his fight against Collazo was a gift certainly not a gift of the Pac-Man Vs Marquez proportions. I would say it was more of Lewis-Holyfield or Hopkins - Taylor fight were either fighter could have laid claim to the fact that they won.

Then you say he fought a shot Castillo. Why you say that ? Castillo has fought 12 times since that fight, yes he has been beaten 3 times, twice on points and another fight were he failed to come out for the 6th but since the Hatton fight no-one has knocked him out or stopped him on his feet

I say Castillo was shot because he was just that, he fought 12 times losing to inferior opposition, Castillo wasn't the same after the thrashing he gave and took against Corrales at 135

When he fought Mayweather. That was close fight for 6 rounds, then Mayweather pulled away. He hardly got owned. When Mayweather fought Gatti THAT'S WHAT YOU CALLING AN OWNING. Hatton, though there was no question as to who was the better man put up a good performance against Mayweather.

It might have been viewed as close the night of, but rewatch the fight and Mayweather never really even came out of first gear, the guy effortlessly picked off Hatton and then knocked him the fuck out, Ortiz was more effective in 3 rounds than Hatton was throughout their fight

Ok. The Lazcona fight was not his best but then you say he beat Malinaggi since when has that been an easy thing ? Malinaggi has fought 34 times the only fighters to beat him other than Hatton are Cotto, Khan and Juan Diaz...and he took Cotto and Diaz the distance.

even if Hatton stopped Malignaggi, Paulie took a worse beating against a weight drained Cotto than he did against Hatton, if he would have been given the rematch that he always begged for against Cotto he wouldn't have lasted 5 rounds as with Hatton he probably would have lasted the distance the second time around

Pac-Man ? I tend to blame Mayweather Snr (His trainer) for that one. Badly prepared and trained. Even Hatton himself said he knew he was going to lose as he entered the ring.

it's easy to blame the loss on a new trainer, difference is Mayweather Sr wasn't new to the training game, Hatton was tailor made for Pacquiao and he could have been with his old trainer and STILL would have been KO'd just as badly, Hatton only was "badly prepared" for the fight because he struggled to lose the more or less 60 lbs he packed on between fights, don't blame Floyd Sr because Hatton couldn't walk away from a deep fried cheeseburger

By the way I don't think Hatton he should be in the hall of fame but I don't think his career was no where near as bad as you make out
    points up

Thread Information