Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salido stops Lopez!! Is this it for Juan Ma?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Salido stops Lopez!! Is this it for Juan Ma?

Guess Lopez did not want it bad enough.. lol..(for those of you that remember our old thread) Great, awesome fight. Assessing Juan Manuel Lopez where does he go from here? Is this it for the fighter who people had great potential and was once regarded by some as p4p?.. It's crazy because he's a young fighter but I believe this is it for him.

... another thing after the fight was he suffering from a concussion or is this guy really delusional thinking he was dominating? ... I'm not even going to bring up the stoppage he was way out on his feet.. I wish the ref would of let him go so salido would of shut him up for good
    Last edited by outspoken; 03-11-2012 at 06:00 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Salido stops Lopez!! Is this it for Juan Ma?

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Guess Lopez did not want it bad enough.. lol..(for those of you that remember our old thread) Great, awesome fight. Assessing Juan Manuel Lopez where does he go from here? Is this it for the fighter who people had great potential and was once regarded by some as p4p?.. It's crazy because he's a young fighter but I believe this is it for him.

... another thing after the fight was he suffering from a concussion or is this guy really delusional thinking he was dominating? ... I'm not even going to bring up the stoppage he was way out on his feet.. I wish the ref would of let him go so salido would of shut him up for good
    ironically enough i was thinking this before the fight even happened, if he couldn't get passed Salido then there's not really much more for him, unless the weight is an issue which I doubt, IMO he's shot himself in the foot, a bit like Hatton really, too much weight gain, no change or improvements, power happy, he might as well call it a day

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, tough to see many good things for him from here on. Obviously Salido is a horrible matchup for him, but I feel that any of his most intruiging potential opponents are just as well suited to beat him up especially after the beating he just took.. What is he going to do, move up with Gamboa and fight him? He may die in the ring, as he wanted to tonight apparently.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Come on now guys this is overboard. Lopez's career isn't over just as Mosley's wasn't over after he lost twice to Forrest or Forrest's career after he lost twice to Mayorga.

Granted this one was a particularly brutal loss and war, but Lopez can still beat some other top guys. Salido just has his number is all.

Juan Manuel Lopez is still a world class talent, just needs to possibly get a new trainer and/or seriously work on his defense.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

salido showed that he has a super human chin and i will greater than most men. he took alot of punishment from lopez. lopez not only connected with clean shots, but he also used his elbow, grabbed behind the head and pushed down on the back of salido's head whenever the opportunity presented itself.

how many fighters are gonna have the will and stamina to persevere that kind of aggression, the kind that juanma places on his opponents? not many.

juanma should be able to continue to be successful and grow as a fighter...assuming he hasn't been damaged by these two fights with salido. which is certainly possible. he may be mentally scarred as well as physically damaged by the beating he sustained.

salido took alot, but juanma got battered pretty badly in each fight.

hulk is right when comparing it to mosely v forrest. salido has his number... but there aren't too many fighters that are gonna walk thru juanma's punches the way salido has. twice. haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Come on now guys this is overboard. Lopez's career isn't over just as Mosley's wasn't over after he lost twice to Forrest or Forrest's career after he lost twice to Mayorga.

Granted this one was a particularly brutal loss and war, but Lopez can still beat some other top guys. Salido just has his number is all.

Juan Manuel Lopez is still a world class talent, just needs to possibly get a new trainer and/or seriously work on his defense.
    The difference between Mosley and Forrest's losses were in the rematches they were both close and depending on who you talk to questionable, but neither second fight was a beatdown and Forrest didn't really sustain a beating nor did Mosley aside from the round Forrest dropped him in.

But Lopez has just been stopped twice, one you could say was questionable but in this fight he was battered around the ring, dished out all he could and got knocked out even worse than last time, he took a beating like Mugabi took from Hagler. And even tonight Juanma looked gunshy and his legs went whenever he got hit with a hard punch regardless on whether he recovered fast or not, I didn't like the way his legs shook when he got hit by Salido's left hand early in the fight. It was very Meldrick Taylor post Chavez-like.

That plus Lopez didn't seem to fight with confidence, he had confidence when he dropped Salido, and then when he went out for the 6th and was hit again he went back into his shell. I think mentally Juanma doesn't want to be knocked out again, I think mentally he's ruined. So even if he comes back, he won't be the same fighter, mentally or physically. And when you aren't the same mentally, get out while you still can sustain yourself physically.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But wouldn't Gamboa, Guerrero, Mikey Garcia or Brandon Rios etc down the line? You don't neccesarily need the kind of will and chin that Salido has to beat Lopez either; Gamboa at this point would have a good chance to get him out of there without being tested in these areas, and you can't downplay the fact that people were hoping for a fight between those two. Obviously Lopez is a good fighter, but with the way he fights I just can't see him being all that relevant much longer, who does he beat at top level?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is a fair post Majesty, Lopez really didn't look to be on good legs whenever he got tagged even very early in the fight, he also took a far more helacious beating than practically any elite fighter has truly come back from in recent years. For a young fighter with his style it could really go downhill quickly if he keeps going imo. Comparing it to someone like MOsley losing to Forrest is absurd, Mosley was already so much more battletested before that point and was never that badly hurt aside from the headbutt in the first fight.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    That is a fair post Majesty, Lopez really didn't look to be on good legs whenever he got tagged even very early in the fight, he also took a far more helacious beating than practically any elite fighter has truly come back from in recent years. For a young fighter with his style it could really go downhill quickly if he keeps going imo. Comparing it to someone like MOsley losing to Forrest is absurd, Mosley was already so much more battletested before that point and was never that badly hurt aside from the headbutt in the first fight.
    That and Mayorga's knockout of Forrest was a perfect temple shot it wasn't like Forrest took a beating in either fight. Lopez took a beating in both fights and took a terrible beating but in the 2nd fight I think his legs are indefinitely gone and it leads me to believe had the first fight kept going he was on his way to being knocked out.

When Lopez came out for this rematch all focused and everything I was thinking he could possibly take it though I knew Salido would be relentless.

But in that first round when Salido caught him with it was either a left hook or a left uppercut and a jolt went through Lopez's body and his legs went for a second. I knew it was just a matter of time. And he fought that way too, he fought like it was just a matter of time, and he mentally conceded any gameplan by the 8th round and whether he knew it or not, he accepted he was gonna get knocked out again, so he chose to slug with him and go out on his shield. Whether he knows it or not, subconciously Salido broke him. When he hit Salido with his best shot, and Salido came out stronger in the next round, mentally Lopez knew he wasn't gonna win the fight cause that was his only chance and when Salido kept hurting him with the shots he threw after that, Lopez mentally was done, and he just went to slugging till he was knocked out, and he was.

Lopez will never be the same fighter ever again. Mentally or physically, he basically shot what was left of himself to go out on his shield and it happened. If we ever see him fight again he's gonna be gunshy and he may win a few fights but none really of significance. He can't beat the Champion at 122, and he's too small for 130 so he's a man without a weight class right now. Unless he fights the weaker champs at 122 but it won't mean that much. Honestly I don't want to see him fight again, when your body freezes and your legs shake on the first punch of a fight, it's time to leave before you get hurt a lot worse.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Amazing fight! Great passion shown by both guys and you wont see a better fight than that this year.

In the end I think Juanma gave it away with suicidal tactics. He was better off boxing on the backfoot and try and steal a hometown decision in Peurto Rico but instead he came out for round 8 with completely different tactics. Brawled for 2 rounds but completely emptied his tank in the prcoess so at the start of round 10 he had nothing left and folded. He complained but he was totally out of it

Congrats to Salido. Juanma isnt done, still a classy fighter but Salido has is number. Thats boxing. He ca try his style vs someone else but he needs to learn to stick to the gameplan and work on his defence.

When you are out on your feet you dont keep coming forward trading unless you want to get knocked out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Amazing fight! Great passion shown by both guys and you wont see a better fight than that this year.

In the end I think Juanma gave it away with suicidal tactics. He was better off boxing on the backfoot and try and steal a hometown decision in Peurto Rico but instead he came out for round 8 with completely different tactics. Brawled for 2 rounds but completely emptied his tank in the prcoess so at the start of round 10 he had nothing left and folded. He complained but he was totally out of it

Congrats to Salido. Juanma isnt done, still a classy fighter but Salido has is number. Thats boxing. He ca try his style vs someone else but he needs to learn to stick to the gameplan and work on his defence.

When you are out on your feet you dont keep coming forward trading unless you want to get knocked out.
    he abandoned it because Salido was walking him down no matter what he did so he went back to fighting, he was mentally gone by the end of the 6th cause Salido had already regained control of the fight despite the knockdown in the round prior. Juanma's gameplan was starting to already not work for him into the 4th round, he caught him in the 5th but it didn't change a thing.

Here is an interesting stat they said.. only 3 jabs were thrown by statistics this fight.

Now Juanma's best punch is his right hook, I would figure he has a strong right hand, so him not even using a jab shows a flaw in ANY gameplan he had to outbox Salido from the get go. He tried to box with Salido, and all he got was walked down till he was gonna be knocked out, he tried to slug with Salido and got knocked out. There really is no way he beats Salido unless he sticks with a jab the entire fight. But Salido has dented him to the point that Juanma is wobbled by nearly every punch Salido lands flush, it would just be a matter of time, like tonight was.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post

ironically enough i was thinking this before the fight even happened, if he couldn't get passed Salido then there's not really much more for him, unless the weight is an issue which I doubt, IMO he's shot himself in the foot, a bit like Hatton really, too much weight gain, no change or improvements, power happy, he might as well call it a day
    In the first fight Lopez took a pretty good shellacking, and he was badly hurt by the 5th round KD and never fully recovered, but he lived to fight another day. This time he totally got his ass kicked, it's hard to imagine him recovering from a beating like that, and competing at championship level again.

I will say this, Lopez showed a ton of heart last night, he's got nothing to be ashamed of, he gave it his all, Salido was just the better man

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great fight and both can be proud of their showing. Great action packed fight. There were no losers.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

mosley lost some fights but he didn't take a total beating.

More importantly, Mosley wasn't that damn easy to hit in the fights he was winning.

If anyone doesn't think getting hit in the chin cleanly (which has happened to Lopez alot) by the guys Lopez beat, then they are crazy.

Just because he was bigger than most of them and knew he would be able to withstand the punches but they wouldn't, doesn't mean willingly taking their shots doesn't take something out of a fighter.

Don't look just to the beatings he took against Salido. Look at everyone landing cleanly their best shots on his chin in their fights.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Decent fight but better not be foty cause it'll be a weak year, the last three were good but that's about it, the first seven were just average. Also don't think lopez took that big of a beating honesty, hell ortiz took bigger ones against maidana and berto, don't see nobody saying he's done and should retire. Juanma should work his defense and stamina and hell be able to still mix it up with some, not saying hell be a world beater but if he wants to keep going let him don't think he'd be a walk in the park for anyone...but in summation glad he lost again somewhat of an egotistical dick, specially after the he knocked down salido...

Thread Information