Thread: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin - St. Pat's day fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin on St. Pat's day in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    I read an interesting point recently and thought I would run it by you guys. Sergio has struggled with two boxers in his career: Paul Williams in the first fight and Antonio Margarito in 2000. Both are brawling volume punchers. Macklin is also a brawling volume puncher. Styles make fights, right? What say you to that point?
    I don't think you can compare the Sergio who fought Margacheato in 2000 with the one we've seen the last several years, As for struggling with Williams in their 1st fight, a bit, but he made it pretty clear who the boss was in the 2nd fight.

Macklin is a solid fighter, but Sergio is on a level above him, and if Matt brawls and/or trades with Martinez, this fight won't last long.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I'd rather see Sergio win this fight first than speculate on his next choice of opponent, but Daniel Geale has stated he wants to come to the US for his next fight. If HBO would pay for Geale at 160 that may be the best available option out there. Chavez Jr. won't be fighting Martinez next, let's all be honest with ourselves.
    Right, Sergio needs to focus on Macklin, which I'm sure he is, just saying, if Martinez gets by Macklin, why not call Chavez Jr. out on the big stage after the fight? It might put enough pressure on "Team Chavez", to get the fight in motion. Freddy Roach has already said Jr. is ready to fight Martinez, so let's get it on, a "Champion" is suppose to fight the best no?
    Freddy also said in a recent interview that he would prefer Chavez Jr. to face Canelo in his next fight to make money and then afterward have the winner take on Martinez. Arum has also, more than once, that he wants Chavez Jr. to face someone like Martin Murray or Andy Lee before taking on Martinez. I doubt they take on Martinez. Even if they think they can beat Martinez, it's a riskier fight than Murray or Alvarez, and with Murray/Lee, they probably make close to the same amount of money for the fight, with Alvarez they make more.

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but Martinez doesn't really care about the belt; he wants to fight Chavez Jr. because he is a bigger pay day than fighting Macklin, Barker or Dzinziruk. He wanted Cotto for the same reason and its the same reason why he faced Pavlik and Williams. Facing Cotto, Chavez Jr. or Canelo probably doubles his normal pay day.

Who wins in a fight between Geale or Lee and Chavez Jr.? Those are good fights too.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like both fighters, Macklin has hear and Birmingham born. Sergio battered our Williams, who was a quality fighter, and hope Sergio gets the big fights he deserves.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd rather see Sergio win this fight first than speculate on his next choice of opponent, but Daniel Geale has stated he wants to come to the US for his next fight. If HBO would pay for Geale at 160 that may be the best available option out there. Chavez Jr. won't be fighting Martinez next, let's all be honest with ourselves.
    Right, Sergio needs to focus on Macklin, which I'm sure he is, just saying, if Martinez gets by Macklin, why not call Chavez Jr. out on the big stage after the fight? It might put enough pressure on "Team Chavez", to get the fight in motion. Freddy Roach has already said Jr. is ready to fight Martinez, so let's get it on, a "Champion" is suppose to fight the best no?
    Freddy also said in a recent interview that he would prefer Chavez Jr. to face Canelo in his next fight to make money and then afterward have the winner take on Martinez. Arum has also, more than once, that he wants Chavez Jr. to face someone like Martin Murray or Andy Lee before taking on Martinez. I doubt they take on Martinez. Even if they think they can beat Martinez, it's a riskier fight than Murray or Alvarez, and with Murray/Lee, they probably make close to the same amount of money for the fight, with Alvarez they make more.

In my opinion, and I could be wrong, but Martinez doesn't really care about the belt; he wants to fight Chavez Jr. because he is a bigger pay day than fighting Macklin, Barker or Dzinziruk. He wanted Cotto for the same reason and its the same reason why he faced Pavlik and Williams. Facing Cotto, Chavez Jr. or Canelo probably doubles his normal pay day.

Who wins in a fight between Geale or Lee and Chavez Jr.? Those are good fights too.
    I think you have great points. I'd like to see if Chavez could last against Martinez. But what the hell is this Diamond belt title BS? It was suppose to be just a trophy wasn't it? Now it looks like it's being peddled? Has the WBC tried collect a sanctioning fee yet?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

I think you have great points. I'd like to see if Chavez could last against Martinez. But what the hell is this Diamond belt title BS? It was suppose to be just a trophy wasn't it? Now it looks like it's being peddled? Has the WBC tried collect a sanctioning fee yet?
    I may be incorrect, but I believe they are not fighting for a belt in this fight, other than the Ring Magazine belt because Sergio dropped the diamond belt in favor of fighting Chavez Jr. for the regular belt.

Chavez Jr. is a huge pressure fighting middleweight. I know he gets a ton of hate, and some of it is deserved, but he'd be a tough outing for a lot of middleweights. For example, I'm high on Proksa, but Proksa is a small middleweight, like Sergio, but without the experience. He stands about 5'9 and isn't huge. I imagine Chavez Jr would be a challenge for Proksa just given the size disparity.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post

I may be incorrect, but I believe they are not fighting for a belt in this fight, other than the Ring Magazine belt because Sergio dropped the diamond belt in favor of fighting Chavez Jr. for the regular belt.

Chavez Jr. is a huge pressure fighting middleweight. I know he gets a ton of hate, and some of it is deserved, but he'd be a tough outing for a lot of middleweights. For example, I'm high on Proksa, but Proksa is a small middleweight, like Sergio, but without the experience. He stands about 5'9 and isn't huge. I imagine Chavez Jr would be a challenge for Proksa just given the size disparity.
    That is true but then again zbik who's just average sizewise and skillwise gave junior hell n that fight could well have been a draw if he wasn't named chavez...don't think sergio would have to many problems even if jr probably would outweigh him by twenty pnds on fightnight

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I like both fighters, Macklin has hear and Birmingham born. Sergio battered our Williams, who was a quality fighter, and hope Sergio gets the big fights he deserves.
    williams was decent

macklins much better tho but so is sergio since then (its the peds )
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    williams was decent

How ripped does Sergio look, his veins will be popping out of his skin.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

williams was decent

i personally think if there is ever a case for peds its sergio, hes improved massively in so many ways in his mid 30s, speed and power are so much improved, and at a higher weight

how is he doing it?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

williams was decent

i personally think if there is ever a case for peds its sergio, hes improved massively in so many ways in his mid 30s, speed and power are so much improved, and at a higher weight

how is he doing it?
    Stop doubting the guy. He's no faster than he was before. His power hasn't improved. If anything, in his last fight, he looked worse than he has in a while. He's no more ripped than he was back in the day. Go check his fights out. He's a phenomonal athlete. He doesn't drink between fights. He is a cycler when he isn't training for a fight. He has offered in many interviews to submit to Olympic style testing with a fight with Floyd. Sergio, like Campillo, didn't start boxing until he was 20, so, his peak has been late r than average. Plus, he hasn't been in many wars. They say a fighter's age is different than his ring age, and Sergio's ring age isn't very old.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

williams was decent

Sergio is better now than he was then? How? Because of his showing against Darren Barker?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin - St. Pat's day fight thread

The Martinez vs Macklin card starts @ 10:00 PM ET on HBO here in North America tomorrow night, and at around 3:00 AM Sunday in the UK.

March 17
    At New York (HBO): Sergio Martinez vs. Matthew Macklin, 12 rounds, for Martinez's Ring magazine middleweight title.

Beginning 1st - HBO might show 1 or both of these undercard fights:

Edwin Rodriguez vs. Donovan George, 10 rounds, super middleweights; Magomed Abdusalamov vs. Jason Pettway, 10 or 12 rounds, heavyweights.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

williams was decent

Sergio is better now than he was then? How? Because of his showing against Darren Barker?
    Its a good point but there were a few fights in the past where you would think martinez would have performed much better in if he had have them now

Perhaps its just the experience

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Macklin's got no chance. He's made for Martinez.

That doesn't mean he's not a worthy challenger. But he's getting KO'd. Martinez wont be standing in front of him letting him unload combos like Sturm did.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Macklin's got no chance. He's made for Martinez.

That doesn't mean he's not a worthy challenger. But he's getting KO'd. Martinez wont be standing in front of him letting him unload combos like Sturm did.
    Anything can happen in pro boxing, Macklin is super motivated and figures to give it his all, his all however simply won't be enough. The thing is, Martinez is at the top of his game right now, and on a roll, he's 37 but still looks to be in his prime. Macklin plans to bring it and brawl, if he does I don't see this fight going past 8 rounds before Sergio busts him up and stops him.

Thread Information