Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else agree that was a fantastic bit of corner work by buddy mcgirt

Share/Bookmark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default anyone else agree that was a fantastic bit of corner work by buddy mcgirt

mackilin was only ever gonna get brutalised in that last round, i no everyone loves a knockout, but he looked after his fighter well there

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: anyone else agree that was a fantastic bit of corner work by buddy mcgirt

nope. mcgirt has a habit of doing this with his fighters. it's like he thinks he's still the star.

give macklin his minute to rest. send him back out if he wants to continue. stop the fight if he's getting slaughtered in the first 30 seconds. at least give him the chance. its top level.

now, if it was macklin that said i don't want to continue, that's another story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: anyone else agree that was a fantastic bit of corner work by buddy mcgirt

I kind of agree with rocco. You should at least have a good look at the guy on the stool before deciding, theres no harm in that.
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Didnt see the fight but I saw when he pulled Gatti out of the Mayweather fight and that was a good call. Sometimes you know your fighter is out classed and if youre getting slaughtered for 11 rounds then theres a massive chance the other guy is just gonna pick up where he left off after 1 min.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with ruthless rocco. McGirt has a habit of this. There was a whole minute to assess and see if Macklin could have gone out. But no, he IMMEDIATELY stops it. No assessment time whatsoever.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    nope. mcgirt has a habit of doing this with his fighters. it's like he thinks he's still the star.

give macklin his minute to rest. send him back out if he wants to continue. stop the fight if he's getting slaughtered in the first 30 seconds. at least give him the chance. its top level.

now, if it was macklin that said i don't want to continue, that's another story.
    Agreed. Mcgirt tends to do that alot with his fighters, maybe he can read his fighters and knows when they've had enough. He's usually the losing corner whenever I've seen him in big fights.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he hadn't been knocked down it was all to play for, I had him winning that round which would have put him only one point behind.

As it was he got knocked down twice, this meant he was 4 points behind going into the last and there was no way he was gonna get the knockout.

I say good call. Live to fight another day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Macklin was finished, he was down in the round and taking a beating. What else could McGirth do but the right thing?
    well said macklin was done and put up no argument when mcgirt pulled him out , dont think mcgirts past comes in to it in this fight, it was pull him out or see him face down on the canvas as soon as a few shots were landed

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

Agreed. Mcgirt tends to do that alot with his fighters, maybe he can read his fighters and knows when they've had enough. He's usually the losing corner whenever I've seen him in big fights.
    one mans loser is another mans prospect

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like what mc girt did last three rounds was just one way traffic from sergio, what's the point in sendin macklin out

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought it was a very good call, Macklin did not argue in the slightest. If he really felt he could get through it he would have spoken up I guarantee it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was what it was really. I mean Macklin was done. At that point it was a heart alone carrying the weight of a middle. I think McGirt got it right and did whatever a reasonable corner would. It wasn't fantastic, or questionable, just due.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to quote James Brown, the godfather of soul, mr. sex machine himself:

"you gotta pay the cost, to be the boss."

an interesting side note...mcgirt was saved by his trainer al certo in the 12th round of his first fight with meldrick taylor. certo stepped into the ring to halt the bout.
    James (Buddy) McGirt vs. Meldrick Taylor - Boxrec Boxing Encyclopaedia

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank funk some of you guys only get to talk about boxing.

A couple of rounds before the finish McGirt was telling Macklin "you've stopped moving your head, you're not throwing enough punches, and stop just following him around the ring"

It was blatantly obvious his fighter was fading badly. Now consider Macklin was basically saved by the bell in the 11th after suffering two heavy knockdowns, there was no need to take a look at him, had the 11th round gone on McGirt would have almost certainly thrown the towel in anyway to stop Macklin ending up face first unconcious.

There was never gonna be a 12th.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

El Kabong Guest

I haven't seen the fight, but Buddy is known for looking for a reason to throw the towel in. That said, there's times to save a fighter, there's times where they need more rounds to see if they can turn the tide.

Imagine if Buddy McGirt was the trainer for Joe Frazier, Ray Leonard, Rocky Marciano, George Foreman, Carmen Basilio, or even Muhammad Ali...those guys fought through adversity all the time!

Thread Information