Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are British boxers too protected these days.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are British boxers too protected these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    British fighters are no more protected than they were many years ago or most other countries. As has been said, the aim is to maximise the income of the fighter, and then try and achieve things in that order. Fighters will eventually find their level in the end but ability (think Galzaghe or Naz), age (think Froch), ring wars (think Froch again) and ambition (think Hatton leaving Warren) are factors that influence how far they progress.
    Well I for one am a fan of a fighter. I didnt watch the last two cleverly fights properly, just sky plus and fast foward it to a ko or decision victory. As far as Murray goes I remember people saying how he was the next best thing but knew as soon as he was put against reasonably good opposition he would lose. He was prowd of his record for being the british fighter with most fights undefeated. But they were a bunch of losers. I just cant enjoy watching people beat on weaker people for so long.
    I know UFC is less entertaining than boxing but at least the fighters are challenged at the right level.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    British fighters are no more protected than they were many years ago or most other countries. As has been said, the aim is to maximise the income of the fighter, and then try and achieve things in that order. Fighters will eventually find their level in the end but ability (think Galzaghe or Naz), age (think Froch), ring wars (think Froch again) and ambition (think Hatton leaving Warren) are factors that influence how far they progress.
    Well I for one am a fan of a fighter. I didnt watch the last two cleverly fights properly, just sky plus and fast foward it to a ko or decision victory. As far as Murray goes I remember people saying how he was the next best thing but knew as soon as he was put against reasonably good opposition he would lose. He was prowd of his record for being the british fighter with most fights undefeated. But they were a bunch of losers. I just cant enjoy watching people beat on weaker people for so long.
    I know UFC is less entertaining than boxing but at least the fighters are challenged at the right level.
    It seem to me you are a bit slow on the uptake, you will never see fighters fighting top class opposition week in week out it does not happen. Take note my friend if you were a manager
    you would turn a winner into a loser.what for your own self gratification match making is
    not easy you shout and moan. we all do as fans remember in this game money rules as I have
    said in the past the moneys right they fight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you have to think about timing too

take john murray as a good example, im not saying he was ever a world beater but had he been stepped up a few fights before then maybe he would have progressed a bit better

perhaps not the strongest example

by the way i think the opening post is very harsh
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    It seem to me you are a bit slow on the uptake, you will never see fighters fighting top class opposition week in week out it does not happen. Take note my friend if you were a manager
    you would turn a winner into a loser.what for your own self gratification match making is
    not easy you shout and moan. we all do as fans remember in this game money rules as I have
    I have no problem with them having easy fights inbetween tough fights. But they have way too many easy fights inbetween and take too long to take on good opposition. You compare Khan to Murray. How many fights do you need before you take a risk. Like you say its all down to money, but we lose out and I find myself not bothering to watch good home fighters.
    If Clevs next two fights were against people ranked 30th or under would you bother to watch them?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    I have no problem with them having easy fights inbetween tough fights. But they have way too many easy fights inbetween and take too long to take on good opposition. You compare Khan to Murray. How many fights do you need before you take a risk. Like you say its all down to money, but we lose out and I find myself not bothering to watch good home fighters.
    If Clevs next two fights were against people ranked 30th or under would you bother to watch them?
    I can see were you are coming from, there are times you will have to face good fighters problem is
    there are not many undisputed champions about theses days.
    Here is my take you got 4 champions at one weight 4 top ten fighters in there ranking ,that forty fighters in there top ten. Some will be ranked in all 4 so looking at the overall picture, you got your 4
    champs 1 outstanding 1 good and the others mediocre.The same for the contenders some will be good and some crap what a mix my friend were do you start.
    What it boils down to lots of champs and contenders at one weight yes some quality and some dross
    thats how boxing stands at the moment.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Match making is a business proposal nothing more, nothing less. Until the risk/reward equation shows maximum returns, the best matches won't be made. This is not an exclusive phenomena that exists on the dreary isle of Great Britain, it happens everywhere a promoter has a say.

The only way around this is to have a single sanctioning body that ranks fighters and limits the rank differential between fighters to make a fight, or a single body that schedule all fights themselves.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post
    Match making is a business proposal nothing more, nothing less. Until the risk/reward equation shows maximum returns, the best matches won't be made. This is not an exclusive phenomena that exists on the dreary isle of Great Britain, it happens everywhere a promoter has a say.

The only way around this is to have a single sanctioning body that ranks fighters and limits the rank differential between fighters to make a fight, or a single body that schedule all fights themselves.
    Which is pure fantasy because it would be detrimental to the amount of money made by fighters, managers, promoters, TV companies, sponsors, etc

Shit titles and shit matches only harm hardcore fans.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killersheep View Post

Which is pure fantasy because it would be detrimental to the amount of money made by fighters, managers, promoters, TV companies, sponsors, etc

Shit titles and shit matches only harm hardcore fans.
    I completely agree, which gets back to my first point of maximal returns. I like my fantasy it makes for better fights, but completely fails as a business plan.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both Fenster and killersheep have this right. You can't do anything about the bullshit titles/organisations system in boxing. It would be ideal to have one single body and a commissioner of the sport like baseball and American football have, but those sports can have them because they have established franchises (teams) which are guaranteed to earn a certain level of revenue every season. There aren't any franchises in boxing, only individual prospects who may or may not turn out to be worth any investment by promoters. And promoters naturally want to protect their investments as much as they can, as is human nature. So we have the system we have.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think there are some that are & some that aren't

Groves & DeGale have been match-up ok
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps I'm not very familiar with British boxing, but if I had to answer the question: absolutely not. I often give examples of British matchups to prove that boxers are overly protected in my own country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always rated kell brook for way way back and even though he hasn't really been tested though he looked really good against durable Mathew hatton.kell brook didn't even break sweat againt hatton and made a great account of himself as a great uk prospect.kevin Mitchell is coming on strong after getting his private life issues out the way.kevin mitchell is worth a world title.Ricky burns is looking awesome at his new weight and proved his worth at world title level.David price is another good prospect for us Brits think he has the right tools to dominate the heavyweight division after a bit more experience.

Thread Information