Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are British boxers too protected these days.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are British boxers too protected these days.

Nathan Cleverly, Kell Brook and lets not forget Jhon Murray. All protected fighters who are ranked very high but have not fought any top ranked fighters. I know Marray is not ranked very highly any more but at 1 point was ranked fifth in the world and bragged that he had the british record for most undefeated fights even though he fought a bunch of losers. Kell Brook I think has the best chance out of the three of doing well but with 27 fights and no wins over top ten fighters to his name.
    Then you have Cleverly who I thought would fight anyone, but just recently has avoided chalanges and taken on other fighters who look good but have cherry picked opponents. He is ranked fifth in the world, does he really deserve it.
    Now I know most people wont like this but I will bring in Khan. He has had 26 fights and has fought some of the best in his devision. He is always being put down but compare him to the other fighters which people seem to love he has taken more risks than all three.
    I was going to praise Burns but other than his last few fights he has had a pretty cherry picked record.
    I mostly blame there managers. Take Warren for example. He could have put Cleverly against someone ranked in the top ten but decides to put him against some loser ranked around 40th in the world. Thinking that the crap fight he has lined up will get Cleverly a shot against The winner of Bernard vs Dawson. Sending Clev from an easy fight to the Slaughter house just to fill his pockets.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Has it ever been any different?

Is it any different for fighters from other countries?

It's normal now. Over match a fighter, build up the record, beat some has been big names then get some form of title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are British boxers too protected these days.

Difficult for Brook to get fights against legit top 10 guys. Ring ranked guys:

Pac-out of the question
    Floyd-out of the question
    Berto or Ortiz-fighting each other
    Senchenko-he doesn't leave the Ukraine.
    Mike Jones-that is a fight that would make sense but all stupid boxers love trinkets and Jones gets a shot at one coming up.
    Zaveck-lost to Berto and has gone back to fighting chumps
    Aydin-He is fighting Guerrero. and honestly I've never seen him fight
    Devon Alexander-just moved up to 147.

147 is a strange division. You basically have the 2 cash cows (Floyd and Pac), the 2 just below them that want to face the cash cows or each other in order to make big, big paydays (Berto/Ortiz), guys you haven't seen and no one knows alot about (Senchenko, Zaveck, Aydin), and the up and comers (Brook, Jones, Alexander).

While Alexander should easily get into the mix with the top 4 guys because of his prior success at 140, Brook and Jones need to move up the ladder this year.

As for Cleverly, he is alot younger than the other guys at 175. When most of the other top 10 guys were Cleverly's age they weren't facing top competition.

His team needs to pick it up this year and find someone in the top 10 that makes sense (in giving Cleverly a fighting chance to win). Someone in the lower part of the top 10, who can push Cleverly, but probably doesn't deal his career a setback at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post

Pac-out of the question
    Mike Jones-that is a fight that would make sense but all stupid boxers love trinkets and Jones gets a shot at one coming up.

147 is a strange division. You basically have the 2 cash cows (Floyd and Pac), the 2 just below them that want to face the cash cows or each other in order to make big, big paydays (Berto/Ortiz), guys you haven't seen and no one knows alot about (Senchenko, Zaveck, Aydin), and the up and comers (Brook, Jones, Alexander).

While Alexander should easily get into the mix with the top 4 guys because of his prior success at 140, Brook and Jones need to move up the ladder this year.

As for Cleverly, he is alot younger than the other guys at 175. When most of the other top 10 guys were Cleverly's age they weren't facing top competition.

His team needs to pick it up this year and find someone in the top 10 that makes sense (in giving Cleverly a fighting chance to win). Someone in the lower part of the top 10, who can push Cleverly, but probably doesn't deal his career a setback at this point.
    Agreed. That is exactly what Cleverly and Warren have just avoided They could have taken on someone ranked in the top ten but decided to fight someone ranked around 40th in the world. But you can see Warren is just looking for the big pay day as he thinks this bullshit match that he has just arranged will give Cleverly a chance against the winner of Dawson vs Hopkins. Throwing him to the lions to make a quick buck.
    I know he is young but he has a title so should have to defend it against legit opposition. Your not telling me that someone ranked so low deserves a shot at a world title.

As for Brook, I like him and think he could be a great boxer but he has already had 27 fights. That is alot in my book and think he should be stepping up in his next fight. Do you guys not get bored of a boxer like Murray taking on loads of losers, watching all his easy fights and then he suddenly steps up after ages only to lose to a good boxer.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Has it ever been any different?

Is it any different for fighters from other countries?

It's normal now. Over match a fighter, build up the record, beat some has been big names then get some form of title.
    Lol. That's the way it is now.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would hate to have some of you Guys,as managers or promoters you would fuck up your fighters
    quick time.Hard fights makes for short careers you build your career slow,remember the great fighters
    did not face each other on a regular bases.Boxing is a money business the best fighters face each other
    for big money, if you think not you are living in la-la land the 3 points in boxing Wealth 1st Fame 2and
    Acclaim 3rd simple.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post

Pac-out of the question

Not that I disagree with anything you've said, it's all true, but Clev is a world champion! By default he should be fighting the top guys, not some low end top 10 fighters.

However that does not make financial sense, so I can't blame Cleve and team

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Now can everyone one see that wbo isn't a real title cos the WBC wouldn't put up with this shite!!!
    Example: I'm Sergio Martinez iv got the WBC then I'm going to defend against chris eubank jr or a ranked 200 fighter. I mean come on that's what real champs are about isn't it? I mean cleverly I thought was a champ and had passion and fans?? Chuckle chuckle

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post
    Now can everyone one see that wbo isn't a real title cos the WBC wouldn't put up with this shite!!!
    Example: I'm Sergio Martinez iv got the WBC then I'm going to defend against chris eubank jr or a ranked 200 fighter. I mean come on that's what real champs are about isn't it? I mean cleverly I thought was a champ and had passion and fans?? Chuckle chuckle
    It seem you worship at the alter of the WBC, this organisation is just as corrupted as the rest you are
    fooling yourself otherwise.The WBC ban Chisora without a hearing at lest the BBBC had a hearing and
    he will have a appeal.At one time the WBC were bed fellow's with one Mr King if you did not fight for
    King no WBC shot for you my friend.
    Don't kid yourself about boxing's governing body's,none are whiter than white remember that bit of
    plastic around there wast,its the fighter not the belt that's a real Champion.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Red face Re: Are British boxers too protected these days.

Cleverly gets protected cuz he sucks.

Promising young british fighters dont get babied as much. Take Kev for instance. He took on a very dangerous prescott and took em to school.. Then a prime katsidis etc...

There is no choice but to protect guys like cleverly and burns although hes scottish or whatever.lol they are limited, domestic talents.

Kell brook may have been protected but hes still the truth..

Kev and brook are the real deals.. Rest of them are ordinary and must be protected.. Look for ricly burns to go on that belt milking tour against part time fish n chips makers. Looks like hres already starting to make excuses to back out from a showdown with kev... Talking about conflict of schedules blah blah..

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finito you are becoming more deluded with every post. Your irrational hate of Burns reveals the paucity of your own boxing judgement and your unreasonable adoration of Mitchell almost warrants the coining of a new term, Mitchtard? Kevmo?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Haha!think we should go with mitchard!

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

Promising young british fighters dont get babied as much. Take Kev for instance. He took on a very dangerous prescott and took em to school.. Then a prime katsidis etc...

There is no choice but to protect guys like cleverly and burns although hes scottish or whatever.lol they are limited, domestic talents.

Kev and brook are the real deals.. Rest of them are ordinary and must be protected.. Look for ricly burns to go on that belt milking tour against part time fish n chips makers. Looks like hres already starting to make excuses to back out from a showdown with kev... Talking about conflict of schedules blah blah..
    Finito see your still in love Kev, remember bud the ones you love let you down as for Cleverly he's in
    no hurry age is on his side careers are a marathon not a sprint my friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dia bando View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post

Finito see your still in love Kev, remember bud the ones you love let you down as for Cleverly he's in
    no hurry age is on his side careers are a marathon not a sprint my friend.
    If thats the case he should give up the title and fight the lower fighters without pretending they are top opposition. When Warren and Clev avoid there manditory ranked ninth in the world and take on someone ranked 40th in the world, they might as well give the belt up. There are people in line who have earned a shot at this title and Clev and Warren have worked it so a undeserving fighter gets a shot just because he is a safer fight. ITS ALL WRONG.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British fighters are no more protected than they were many years ago or most other countries. As has been said, the aim is to maximise the income of the fighter, and then try and achieve things in that order. Fighters will eventually find their level in the end but ability (think Galzaghe or Naz), age (think Froch), ring wars (think Froch again) and ambition (think Hatton leaving Warren) are factors that influence how far they progress.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information