Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: James Toney weighs in at 248

I do not understand the people that have said that fighting at Heavyweight was a farce or a huge mistake for Toney.

Toney was extremely competitive against Sam Peter (In fact I thought he beat him) and several other fights. Anyone else that is that competitive at HW would be considered a hopeful still.

The only mistake is that Toney has held on to the only thing he has known in his life for too long, which is boxing. If we all disliked boxers who held on for too long, we wouldn't have very many to look up to.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    It is hard for me to say James Toney is lazy: you can't develope the type of skills he has and be lazy. So I've decided he is either mentally ill or stupid.
    I disagree, it's easy to put a lot of time into the things you enjoy/have a natural aptitude at.

Lazy is what Toney is. He enjoys sparing, hates road work and dieting

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Forget his weight, the fact that Toney has been OFFICIALLY diagnosed with brain damage, is 44 and STILL allowed to fight makes boxing a laughing stock.

Toney's pineal gland is damaged, which limits the amount of testosterone secreted. That is one of the reasons he probably finds it hard to lose body fat.

Absolutely. I knew there had to be a reason for the slurring. And although I've always disliked Toney intensely, it's totally irresponsible of boxing to allow this man to continue fighting and making a mockery out of the sport (not to mention continue to endanger himself). Somebody take his damn license away already.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think he'd be boxing if he had enough money to retire. I'm guessing there's no chance of that happening either and that he'll keep boxing until he can't even get licensed in Texas. This is just a sad story when you look back to what was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    It is hard for me to say James Toney is lazy: you can't develope the type of skills he has and be lazy. So I've decided he is either mentally ill or stupid.

he supposedly didn't do much roadwork throughout alot of his career. He supposedly has always eaten everything in sight.

undisciplined is definitely correct.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    congrats champ!!!! keep up the good work.

If they don't watch it, he is going to die in the ring.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's sad, isn't it? These boxers are given all this money to beat the crap out of each other in the ring, but they're never given the knowledge on how to maintain their finances. That's what ends up getting the lot of them. That's one of the things I always liked about Marciano. He held onto his money, and had enough to live the rest of his life very comfortably.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    It's sad, isn't it? These boxers are given all this money to beat the crap out of each other in the ring, but they're never given the knowledge on how to maintain their finances. That's what ends up getting the lot of them. That's one of the things I always liked about Marciano. He held onto his money, and had enough to live the rest of his life very comfortably.
    It seems Toney owes a lot. Considering what he has earned over the years, he kind of deserves what he gets. That is a really cruel thing to say though. People need to be responsible for themselves and Toney seems to have fucked up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    It seems Toney owes a lot. Considering what he has earned over the years, he kind of deserves what he gets. That is a really cruel thing to say though. People need to be responsible for themselves and Toney seems to have fucked up.
    Boxer's aren't known for being the brightest, usually. I guess I'm sort of sympathetic in that aspect. But you're right. People do need to be self sufficient. If one of us goes down the drain with our finances, there's not a lot of people that'll gladly step up to the table to help us out.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxer's aren't known for being the brightest, usually. I guess I'm sort of sympathetic in that aspect. But you're right. People do need to be self sufficient. If one of us goes down the drain with our finances, there's not a lot of people that'll gladly step up to the table to help us out.
    I don't blame Toney entirely, I blame our societies. Unless you are consuming then you aren't fulfilling your function. Unless you are on your yearly holiday then you are missing out. Too few stop to think 'Let's just bank for a rainy day'. Rich or poor, too many live much the same which is beyond their means. Toney screwed up like the majority.

Nobody should need to help out someone who has earned millions of dollars.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't blame Toney entirely, I blame our societies. Unless you are consuming then you aren't fulfilling your function. Unless you are on your yearly holiday then you are missing out. Too few stop to think 'Let's just bank for a rainy day'. Rich or poor, too many live much the same which is beyond their means. Toney screwed up like the majority.

Nobody should need to help out someone who has earned millions of dollars.
    I definitely agree. If I got a million dollars, I could put the money in the bank and live off of the interest comfortably. Two million, I'd be living like a dream. I would be able to retire very very early.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes.... usually. There ARE some exceptions nowadays, however. Mayweather, for all his shenanigans, is no fool. De La Hoya is well-spoken and pretty smart. Cotto learned how to speak English just so he could do his own interviews without an interpreter. And there are many more exceptions.

James Toney, however, has always had the IQ of a rock, if not the physique to match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They need some version of what Allen Iverson supposedly had. A financial person had set up an account (probably a trust), whereby Iverson gets 1 million a year till age 55 and he can't touch the principal. There is 32 million in it. Iverson made a ton of money in his career between contracts, endorsements, etc..., and likely one of his financial managers talked with Iverson and they set aside large amounts so that he would never be able to go broke.

Bobby Bonilla was with the NY Mets for the 2nd time in 2000. The Mets bought out the final year of his contract (5.9 million). Bonilla willingly agreed to defer it. starting on July 1, 2011, Bobby Bonilla will remain on the franchise's payroll for 25 years, collecting an annual salary of $1,193,248.20.

That is a beautiful deal.

All athletes need financial managers, accountants, lawyers, etc., that can be trusted. And athletes need to spend below their means. Buy a decent house, a car or two, nice but reasonable stuff for the house, and then save your damn money!!!! No one needs a 2 million dollar house, 8 cars, etc.... If you are going to live that large, you better have made the kind of money De la hoya, Mayweather, etc... made.

Thread Information