0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Rick Hatton?

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Ricky could be rated higher than Joe Galzaghe, because he did not wait too long with Warren, who would have been happy for Ricky to defend his IBO title against journeyman fighters and make shed loads of money. There is no Sven Ottke in Ricky’s closet, Witter does not count and Cotto moved up in weight to allow the fight from coming off. Ricky took risks going up to welterweight and Joe did not until very late in his career. If Ricky manoeuvred his career more cautiously he could have retired undefeated too

I don't agree with a single thing you said there aside from the fact that Hatton jumped ship with Warren, which is indeed to his credit. Hatton was very good, but nowhere near as good as Calzaghe, nor did he achieve as much even despite much better management. You could easily assume that if Calzaghe had Hatton's marketability(why he didn't is beyond me), he would have also retired with a much higher profile in America. For Hatton to have retired undefeated he would've clearly had to avoid Mayweather and Pacquiao. Had he not fought those two men, even despite losing so badly, his legacy would pale even moreso in comparison with Calzaghes. It would have been no different than had Calzaghe not fought Kessler and Hopkins. Instead, the difference is that Joe won those fights
    And to say that there is no Sven Ottke in Ricky's closet, and that Witter doesn't count is purely ludicrous. Witter was MUCH more of a threat to Hatton and a much more lucrative fight than Ottke to Calzaghe, obviously. That would have been easy as hell to make in the UK and Hatton could have taken almost the whole purse.
    Apparently Warren had quite a lot of profile raising offers which he presented to Calzaghe, but Calzaghe didn't want them. I think in his book, Joe said that it either never interested him or he didn't have the confidence to go through with stuff like that.
    Ricky Hatton beat a great champion in Kostya on a great night for British boxing. Joe beat Eubanks at short notice and then fought poor fighters for 10 years. Ricky unified some of the titles where possible including a weight up, Joe fought his mandatory’s and Ottke’s left overs never really taking a chance until the end of his career.

Ricky did not have to fight Floyd at welterweight, especially after struggling at the weight but he took the chance. Joe was very good but Ricky should not be punished for taking on the best and coming short. Would you want to see Ricky v Floyd or Pac Man than Witter? No chance.

Joe would have beaten Ottke but did not take the chance, Joe may have lost to Roy Jones at light heavy but never took the opportunity.
    Calzaghe was more protected and dodged the big fights, instead waiting for those guys to get past their primes (especially jones - that fight was 100% meaningless). I also thought Hopkins won their fight.

But I don't know how you can possibly deny that Calzaghe was just the more talented fighter, both technically and in terms of raw athleticism. Difference in class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky was very good.,.,..he lost much of what he had in between fights....Dont cxare who you are you cannot go gaining 40lbs between fights eat horribly and hang in the pub always on occassion OK but Hattom admittedly made a habit of it.....His style of attack attack attack early on did not help.....But was he overrated?....No he lost to the top 2 fighters of this era at their best...nothing to be frowned upon
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    His 2 loses were agains the number 1 boxer in the world at the time.

He could have gone on for many more years if he had wanted but made the right choise to get out when he did.

Also he gave a good 5 or 6 years of great action for British fight fans.
    please don't only point to those losses. I'm a Yank and I enjoyed every his career. But he lost to Collazo. If you don' think he only won that fight because he is the MUCH BIGGER NAME, then you are very naive.

He was very good. I don't agree that he would have beaten Bradley, hands down.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a very good Lt Welter
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

hatton was boss
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Psl made a good point.. Americans dont think twice about hatton.

To americans..... Ricky hatton, Carlos Baldomir...... Same shit. Of lets not forget about juan urango and ponce deleon... They are all on the same league..
    I've been to Vegas alot of times now fights and holidays and you speak to Americans and they always mention Ricky Hatton, most of them say he was a hell of a fighter!

When Hatton fought Mayweather if you could find an American in vegas that weekend lol, they all knew who Hatton was and almost every1 wanted him to win.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Ricky could be rated higher than Joe Galzaghe, because he did not wait too long with Warren, who would have been happy for Ricky to defend his IBO title against journeyman fighters and make shed loads of money. There is no Sven Ottke in Ricky’s closet, Witter does not count and Cotto moved up in weight to allow the fight from coming off. Ricky took risks going up to welterweight and Joe did not until very late in his career. If Ricky manoeuvred his career more cautiously he could have retired undefeated too

I don't agree with a single thing you said there aside from the fact that Hatton jumped ship with Warren, which is indeed to his credit. Hatton was very good, but nowhere near as good as Calzaghe, nor did he achieve as much even despite much better management. You could easily assume that if Calzaghe had Hatton's marketability(why he didn't is beyond me), he would have also retired with a much higher profile in America. For Hatton to have retired undefeated he would've clearly had to avoid Mayweather and Pacquiao. Had he not fought those two men, even despite losing so badly, his legacy would pale even moreso in comparison with Calzaghes. It would have been no different than had Calzaghe not fought Kessler and Hopkins. Instead, the difference is that Joe won those fights
    And to say that there is no Sven Ottke in Ricky's closet, and that Witter doesn't count is purely ludicrous. Witter was MUCH more of a threat to Hatton and a much more lucrative fight than Ottke to Calzaghe, obviously. That would have been easy as hell to make in the UK and Hatton could have taken almost the whole purse.
    Apparently Warren had quite a lot of profile raising offers which he presented to Calzaghe, but Calzaghe didn't want them. I think in his book, Joe said that it either never interested him or he didn't have the confidence to go through with stuff like that.
    Ricky Hatton beat a great champion in Kostya on a great night for British boxing. Joe beat Eubanks at short notice and then fought poor fighters for 10 years. Ricky unified some of the titles where possible including a weight up, Joe fought his mandatory’s and Ottke’s left overs never really taking a chance until the end of his career.

Ricky did not have to fight Floyd at welterweight, especially after struggling at the weight but he took the chance. Joe was very good but Ricky should not be punished for taking on the best and coming short. Would you want to see Ricky v Floyd or Pac Man than Witter? No chance.

Joe would have beaten Ottke but did not take the chance, Joe may have lost to Roy Jones at light heavy but never took the opportunity.
    Calzaghe was more protected and dodged the big fights, instead waiting for those guys to get past their primes (especially jones - that fight was 100% meaningless). I also thought Hopkins won their fight.

But I don't know how you can possibly deny that Calzaghe was just the more talented fighter, both technically and in terms of raw athleticism. Difference in class.
    No you are right Joe was more skilled and had a better pedigree. However good his talent he did leave his legacy with many unanswered questions, whereas with Hatton there is little speculation.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hatton was very good, just not good enough.

Like @Master just said, at least with Hatton there are no unanswered questions, he pushed and found his limits.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    Hatton was very good, just not good enough.

Like @Master just said, at least with Hatton there are no unanswered questions, he pushed and found his limits.
    Whereas Joe left us with a lot of unanswered questions.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate when people say he only lost to the best he never fought everyone he should have Witter, Bradley, Holt he avoided fast fighters until he fought Maywaether and Pac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hatton gave PBF his toughest fight other than 1 round with Mosley.

Overall, he was a bit overrated because some fans forget fighters are human and have limitations. He should have stayed at 140 and he would have had a few more years of dominance. I think he would have stopped Zab and he really didn't have much in the division at the time he went to 147.
    Hidden Content

My favorite Boxer.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky was a really good fighter , he pushed himself , and could have avoided PBF etc , but he wanted to at least try to beat the best, and for that he should be commended.
    He should have lived the boxers life a bit more , but he is what he is , all round hes a good egg.

He should be commended for fighting 2 prime p4p boxers.
    Not criticised for 2 losses.

Far better than fighting bums , corpses , and O.A.P's , are you listening Calzaghe ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Credit to Hatton for getting into the ring against the two p4p fighters today. I just don't think his resume warranted getting those shots in the first place. I think it was more of a popularity issue that carried Hatton to those big paydays.

Where Hatton DID rub me the wrong way was when he dared to imply he was fighting for the world's p4p when he was going to face Pacquaio. The nerve. And just bypass all other, much better fighters than himself in the process? Sorry... that's not the way p4p works. You WORK your way toward a p4p fight by beating the top contenders out there. And convincingly... not the way he got the nod against Luis Collazo.

As it turns out, justice was made in the ring... and any talk of world's p4p disappeared with one vicious left cross from hell.

how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

how does beating the worlds p4p champion not make you the new p4p champion ?

Are you suggesting that beating Pac would've made Hatton the world's p4p? I hope not. #1- He hadn't earned the shot. Just like he hadn't earned the shot at Mayweather. #2- There were lots of fighters more deserving of p4p than Hatton at that point in time. #3- Any fighter can have a bad night. Hatton has never come within sniffing distance of world's p4p. Fact.

Thread Information