2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto"s only HOPE to wın ıs by KO FAST

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dropanuke View Post
    Look what Marquez did, cotto isn't much different, if anything Marquez is more durable than cotto and may weather cruised that fight
    Juan Manuel Marquez was fighting WELL above his best weight, Miguel Cotto is a LEGIT 154 pounder and if Floyd could beat Cotto like he beat JMM I would be outright shocked. I don't expect Cotto to win, I want him to, and I can see how he could, but Floyd is a great fighter. I do expect Cotto to give Floyd hell though....not a single person Cotto has fought had an "Easy Night's Work" not Margarito the first time, not Pacquiao at a catchweight (I believe Pac got a busted eardrum from that fight), nobody....NOBODY.

I can't see Cotto acting like JMM or Shane in where he just gives up or is 100% outclassed. Cotto is a guy who will go out on his shield, he will probably get cut & swole up to the point they stop the fight, but Cotto is going to pressure Floyd, Floyd will have to earn the W.
    I'm not sure about that bit because after the 2nd knockdown vs Pac, Cotto appeared to go on the run and didnt try to win after that he was just trying to survive. Marquez & Shane werent in the fight but I wouldnt say they gave up, just outclassed and didnt know what to do. Shane gave up vs Pac and was it was a terrible effort that night but vs Floyd he went for it for 2 rounds but his old body didnt have it after that.

Cotto will be more competative than Floyd and Marquez but the end result will be the same. . . . Floyd on points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    Every person that's on Floyd's nuts right now doesn't seem to realize his cherry picking ways. Ortiz, Marquez, and Mosley weren't the best fighters in the world when Mayweather fought them. Cotto is Floyd's best competition since Hatton, at the very least.
    Give me those three opponents over a way past it margarito and mayorga and over a b level yuri foreman...so floyd will be far above the level of fighters cotto has fought recently, don't think the reverse is true.
    A good fight with Pac > A win against any guy Floyd's beaten since Hatton.

I also wasn't comparing the level of competition between Floyd and Cotto. I was saying that Floyd hasn't been fighting top level opponents, and Cotto IS a top level opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    Cotto beating Margarito was about nothing else other than exorcising the demons. What that would have done for Cotto mentally is priceless.

Mayweather has faced good guys lately. Marquez is an absolute warrior but he was too small, his heart and skills were not going to make up that disadvantage. Mosley is a name, but was there to last the distance. Ortiz was a good live opponent but he fucked things for himself before the fight really got started.

Cotto's fights have been confidence builders, Mayweathers have been money makers.

It's hard to predict this fight really as we don't know if Cotto has much left. Also Mayweather fights so infrequently and he is at an age where the activity can creep up on him.

We can't deny that on paper it is a very good fight.
    Absolutely spot on, mate.
    Shane had beaten marg in his fight prior to floyd, ortiz beat berto I don't see how they weren't top level Marquez is top level as well but was to small...I'm not sure this version of cotto is better than the shane or ortiz floyd fought. I guess I just have far less faith in cotto than most on here it seems
    A margarito that had just been caught cheating who was probably thinking about what's going to happen to him and didn't even care if he won or lost. That margarito? ofcourse Mosley wooped him. If he would've been plastered up it would've probably been retirement for Mosley. Cotto beat a young hungry Mosley and almost went the distance with a plastered margarito.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Abelardus View Post
    Every person that's on Floyd's nuts right now doesn't seem to realize his cherry picking ways. Ortiz, Marquez, and Mosley weren't the best fighters in the world when Mayweather fought them. Cotto is Floyd's best competition since Hatton, at the very least.
    Give me those three opponents over a way past it margarito and mayorga and over a b level yuri foreman...so floyd will be far above the level of fighters cotto has fought recently, don't think the reverse is true.

I also wasn't comparing the level of competition between Floyd and Cotto. I was saying that Floyd hasn't been fighting top level opponents, and Cotto IS a top level opponent.

Cotto beating Margarito was about nothing else other than exorcising the demons. What that would have done for Cotto mentally is priceless.

Mayweather has faced good guys lately. Marquez is an absolute warrior but he was too small, his heart and skills were not going to make up that disadvantage. Mosley is a name, but was there to last the distance. Ortiz was a good live opponent but he fucked things for himself before the fight really got started.

Cotto's fights have been confidence builders, Mayweathers have been money makers.

It's hard to predict this fight really as we don't know if Cotto has much left. Also Mayweather fights so infrequently and he is at an age where the activity can creep up on him.

Shane had beaten marg in his fight prior to floyd, ortiz beat berto I don't see how they weren't top level Marquez is top level as well but was to small...I'm not sure this version of cotto is better than the shane or ortiz floyd fought. I guess I just have far less faith in cotto than most on here it seems
    A margarito that had just been caught cheating who was probably thinking about what's going to happen to him and didn't even care if he won or lost. That margarito? ofcourse Mosley wooped him. If he would've been plastered up it would've probably been retirement for Mosley. Cotto beat a young hungry Mosley and almost went the distance with a plastered margarito.
    We're talking about the last few opponents not what they did five or ten fights ago. The fact of the matter is when floyd fought shane he came of a huge win, same goes for ortiz to not call em top level isn't fair. The shane floyd fought is better than any of cottos last few opponents, so is ortiz..I usually don't do these but ill sig bet on this one if anyone wants. Also as I said before I don't mind cotto and don't like floyd and do think marg was plastered up and that's a big reason why I v iew cotto as a damged fighter.
    Last edited by armin; 04-25-2012 at 08:00 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Abelardus View Post

We're talking about the last few opponents not what they did five or ten fights ago. The fact of the matter is when floyd fought shane he came of a huge win, same goes for ortiz to not call em top level isn't fair. The shane floyd fought is better than any of cottos last few opponents, so is ortiz..I usually don't do these but ill sig bet on this one if anyone wants. Also as I said before I don't mind cotto and don't like floyd and do think marg was plastered up and that's a big reason why I v iew cotto as a damged fighter.
    Your right Ortiz was a better fighter then any of Cotto's opponents. Mosley has the better name but I do believe he was way passed his prime when he fought mayweather coming off a win or not he was old so I believe he was cherry picked as for Ortiz that would've been a good fight had it not been for the head bitt.

El Kabong Guest

Ortiz is younger and fresher, but Cotto would hammer the crap out of that kid. Cotto is a better boxer, has more power, better defense, a bigger heart, and a sharper mind. Ortiz is a swarmer, a wreckless, nasty fighter....Cotto COULD fight that way and STILL whip Ortiz's ass, but Cotto is a boxer and a damn good one.

Cotto fought Pacquiao....don't see a name bigger or better than that on Floyd's resume AND Cotto did that weight drained and without a trainer in his corner and he still lasted 11/12 rounds....whether or not that was smart is beyond the point. The deal is Cotto is tough, he's a warrior, and it's been quite a long time since Floyd will have fought such a dedicated fighter that can carry the weight well and isn't completely shot.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ortiz is younger and fresher, but Cotto would hammer the crap out of that kid. Cotto is a better boxer, has more power, better defense, a bigger heart, and a sharper mind. Ortiz is a swarmer, a wreckless, nasty fighter....Cotto COULD fight that way and STILL whip Ortiz's ass, but Cotto is a boxer and a damn good one.

Cotto fought Pacquiao....don't see a name bigger or better than that on Floyd's resume
    Right now I would prefer to be seeing Cotto / JMM.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto fought Pacquiao....don't see a name bigger or better than that on Floyd's resume AND Cotto did that weight drained and without a trainer in his corner and he still lasted 11/12 rounds....whether or not that was smart is beyond the point. The deal is Cotto is tough, he's a warrior, and it's been quite a long time since Floyd will have fought such a dedicated fighter that can carry the weight well and isn't completely shot.
    Bullshit he could, Lyle. Five years ago sure, but he can't fight anyone that way anymore and it's precisely why Floyd will toy with him.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Bullshit he could, Lyle. Five years ago sure, but he can't fight anyone that way anymore and it's precisely why Floyd will toy with him.
    Are you fucking kidding me Cotto would massacre Victor Ortiz!!! If they fight at any point in time I've got a sig bet all over that one!!! Victor Ortiz....shiiiiit you musta' lost your damn mind! Cotto would also handle Berto easily.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you fucking kidding me Cotto would massacre Victor Ortiz!!! If they fight at any point in time I've got a sig bet all over that one!!! Victor Ortiz....shiiiiit you musta' lost your damn mind! Cotto would also handle Berto easily.
    I didn't say Cotto couldn't beat Victor, at least realize what part of your post I was responding to. He would most likely be able to outbox him, but IF he decided to swarm and go toe to toe with him(which would be very stupid and something he hasn't done for several years) I feel Ortiz would probably stop him. You seem to think Cotto is still near peak form and durable, I wholeheartedly disagree here that's all. I think he's actually the least dangerous opponent Floyd will have faced since Marquez, who Cotto would be much better off fighting incidently.

El Kabong Guest

I didn't say Cotto couldn't beat Victor, at least realize what part of your post I was responding to. He would most likely be able to outbox him, but IF he decided to swarm and go toe to toe with him(which would be very stupid and something he hasn't done for several years) I feel Ortiz would probably stop him. You seem to think Cotto is still near peak form and durable, I wholeheartedly disagree here that's all. I think he's actually the least dangerous opponent Floyd will have faced since Marquez, who Cotto would be much better off fighting incidently.
    Cotto is as good as he ever was, he's lost 2 fights 1 to a cheater and 1 to one of the best P4P fighters out there today. I don't get this whole "Cotto is washed up" bullshit, Miguel is a solid boxer, he's in his prime years still (as can be evidenced by his holding THE 154 title), and he's given no reason for you to think he's washed up. He's been in some battles sure, but he hasn't looked the worse for wear due to them.

As for Ortiz, I've never been sold on the guy as a BOXER....as a fighter meh, he's ok, I mean he doesn't have heart like Cotto has and that right there is one of the reasons Cotto would demolish him. PLUS Victor hasn't fought at 154....ever. Victor still has trouble muscling up on welterweights why would he be able to do anything to Cotto? And Cotto has a much better jaw than Ortiz does, that's a fact. Cotto would also beat Marquez...why? Because Cotto is too big and can box well enough to beat JMM.

"The least dangerous opponent Floyd will have faced since Marquez"....so Marquez, Mosley, & Ortiz were more dangerous That's ridiculous....but hey, you believe what you want, but know Cotto will come to fight and he won't punk out like Ortiz did.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you saying he's given no reason to show he is on the slide is a lot more ridiculous. Or to state that Cotto clearly beats Marquez because of his boxing skills, when the only common opponent they've shared knocked Miguel out and lost to Marquez. How does his having a strap now serve as evidence of his prime as opposed to how he looked in the fights? Have you gone blind from typing so much? Miguel approaches every single second in the ring differently since Margarito beat him imo, to say he merely lost the two fights he did is silly. They were brutal beatings that clearly rattled his confidence. To me his legs don't look nearly as good as they used to either but I'm not going to preach that as I don't think it would've ever been enough. He had to muster every ounce of skill to scrape by Clottey, yet to you it's a dead cert that his skills would see him past Ortiz and Marquez, when a beat down Mayorga gave him a lot to think about. He didn't even look good against Yuri Foreman if you ask me. Also, I meant that I consider him the least dangerous to Floyd before the fight not in hindsight, which should be fairly obvious. Lots of people were confident that Mosley and Marquez were live dogs at the time, this is no different to me.
    Last edited by p4pking; 04-26-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is firm favourite but Cotto may win some rounds early. Normally Floyd adjusts his style if it is not working and I can see his fast right hands countering the left hook and jab of Cotto. Also Floyd will use his uppercut.

Miguel has to feint and set traps for Floyd to fall into. Cotto needs to have a high tempo to the fight, punches in bunches and come at angles, body and head and use his experience at the weight. He needs to fight smarter not harder. Win a round at a time. I really hope he pulls this out the bag and wins enough rounds to get the decision.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Styles make fights and Cotto's style would be good vs Marquez and great vs Ortiz and it should cause Floyd trouble. Pac fought a weight drained trainerless Cotto and Miguel still went far in the fight. Clottey is a very durable fighter, similar to Margarito in his ability to take a punch. Given that Cotto was hurting himself to make 147 & had just 1 fight between Clottey and the Margarito match sure he looked bad and it's understandable, but he won the fight. How many rounds did Cotto lose to Yuri? 2-3 if that much? He stopped him didn't he?

I'm not certain Cotto will beat Floyd, I do expect him to give Floyd trouble though at least for the first half of the fight, and I say that because Cotto is diverse and Floyd is a great problem solver in the ring and so it may take time for Cotto to use up his tricks and Floyd to counter them.

I AM however certain Cotto would destroy Ortiz, there's 0 doubt in my mind he would. Vic has never fought at 154, he faltered vs Maidana and drew vs Petterson and I'm sorry Miguel Cotto is hands down better than those guys.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Cotto vs Marquez would be an absolute war, neither of those guys styles are "good" against the other imo. Cotto is indeed a damn fine boxer but I really doubt he is smart or cagey enough to keep Marquez on the outside all night, there would be fireworks. Clottey also had alot more going for him than being durable against Cotto, that was tit for tat the whole way through until he predictably finished terribly. I think Yuri Foreman kind of sucks so that ones a moot point. Fact is, Cotto hasn't fought nearly the kind of opponent he was faced with before and during the first Margarito fight, and Floyd is a hell of a step up from anyone in the sport right now around the weight. I just don't see where he draws any real game plan from with the way he has been fighting since his defeats. Trying to do ANYTHING off the backfoot will have him taking a real beating imo.

El Kabong Guest

Using your rational on how Cotto did vs Pac who fought JMM who got torn up by PBF....PBF fought tooth & nail vs Judah who got punished and stopped by Cotto. Cotto has always been called slow, his hands were slower than Shane's and slower than Zab's and Cotto still won both of those fights pretty handily.

I respect Floyd for taking this fight, it's far tougher for him than Victor Ortiz....where the hell did that fight come from? Jesus!

As far as what Cotto does after this fight win or lose I figure he'll go after big money fights because he's a fan favorite. I hope Berto or Ortiz move up and fight him I think those would be great fights.

Thread Information