Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question Is this a good thing?

i missed a few days of practice last week. but i told my boxing coach like the week before i was going to start lifting again and get my boxing lisence.
    i dont do the little warmup thing they do upstairs (its kinda stupid in my opinion. its like mindless shadowboxing in a group) so i weightlift downstairs instead until they come down to the bags.
    and he came downstairs yesterday, gave me his number and said to text him if i cant make it Tuesdays and Thursdays.
    Does that mean hes going to pay more attention to my boxing, or just wanted to make sure i came more
    What do you think Saddo?+
    Jacob Sandman Sanders
    ฿ø✖ℯґ

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this a good thing?

I have no idea what he meant. But I wonder, if you want to be a boxer, why would you want to lift weights instead of shadowboxing? Shadowboxing, and it is only as mindless as you let it be (which in and of itself is mindless), actually helps make you a better boxer. (If you do it correctly, which is the opposite of doing it mindlessly) Weightlifting does not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Weightlifting is all wrong for boxing. The mass isn't good. The more muscle you have, the slower you'll be, and the less effective you'll be. It isn't going to improve your punching power, either.

Shadow boxing is at least forming punches. It isn't mind numbing to me, even after doing it for five years. You just have to mentally get yourself into it. Picture each of those punches landing on an opponent. Imagination, eh?

Why Lifting Weights Won’t Increase Punching Power

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not sure if weight lifting is all wrong. If you think for weightlifting as just pumping on the bench or curls yes it makes no sence, but lets say you want to throw a combination. For me this is a form of plymetric movement. So in order to do it you need alot of control and strenght. You need as much the big musles of the back (which are pulling not pushing!) and legs as much as the small muscles that you don't even suspect are there. Now obviously the small muscle can be developed specifically for boxing just through boxing, but what about the hamstrings, the gluts, the combined unit of back and legs? I think it is much easyer to teach someone to deadlift and get the control over his body and to try to implement this feeling when he punches. And here come the weights for me in boxing. You get control on your body. Done properly i don't think that weights are bad for boxers. Yes of course nothing is better for boxing than boxing it self, but we can get alot of benefits of all types of physikal activity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i read that article and i dont really understand the relaxing your body while you throw the punch and make your body Snap it, ill ask my coach what he thinks about weightlifting. what i should do as a boxer to weightlift. etc.
    Jacob Sandman Sanders
    ฿ø✖ℯґ

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman1995 View Post
    i read that article and i dont really understand the relaxing your body while you throw the punch and make your body Snap it, ill ask my coach what he thinks about weightlifting. what i should do as a boxer to weightlift. etc.
    He should say, avoid reps and do only power lifting or power shifting.

I recon anything in little bits is ok: but you dont want to start shaping your muscles any way that will take your natural speed away, speed = power too, not just momentum plus weight. One is at the expense of fluidity. I would never give that type of speed up in a fight. Technique will give you all the power you need, Fluid speed will allow you to land the shot unseen, thats worth more than anything.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information