Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell

So Seth got a bit of a lesson taught to him the other night and we learned that his chin isn't all that great. What did you guys think about the fight? What do you expect out of him in the future? What does he need to work on? And how far do you see him going?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Seth 'Mayhem' Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    So Seth got a bit of a lesson taught to him the other night and we learned that his chin isn't all that great. What did you guys think about the fight? What do you expect out of him in the future? What does he need to work on? And how far do you see him going?
    Let's be honest with ourselves. We, as American boxing fans, are dying for a "Great American Hope," in the spirit of the "Great White Hope" of the past. The only difference is that we've moved passed the racial aspect of it. How did a fight like Mitchell v. Witherspoon get on HBO? Mitchell is a fun fighter to watch, but he's not even in the top ten of the division. Adamek versus Chambers is two top ten heavyweights and they're not making HBO $ in their fight.

As much as Al Haymon pushes him, Mitchell isn't going to beat a Klitschko, unless they slip something aweful. I like Mitchell. He seems a class act too.

Frankly, Witherspoon isn't even known as a puncher. Even though he is 29, Mitchell should take some time to hone his skills. He seems pretty 1 dimensional. Am I wrong?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fun tv friendly guy needing alot of polish. I kept thinking Derrick Jefferson or Clifford etienne right now. Love the way he focused on body to turn it and wasn't ashamed to clinch when out on his feet. I really thought that fight was over via wave off in 1st.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mitchell could get a title fight, but he'll never win one.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

It was nice to see him get tested and have a little of his aura challenged, but he will have to polish up his skills and perhaps get a new trainer because his defense is lacking and there are some finer points of boxing he could use help on. I do like the heart he showed, I like he still had power, but I agree he's not going to win a title from a Klitschko brother.....but who the hell is

I do think he brings some excitement back to the division, it was a fun fight to watch. Witherspoon looked decent for a time as well and it wasn't because Mitchell is bad, it's because as they said Chazz finally had a proper training camp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While Chazz Witherspoon might not be thought of as a big hitter, he's certainly not lacking in the power division. After all, all of Witherspoon's wins since 2008 have been stoppage victories. A sixty-six percent KO rate isn't too shabby either.

Not that I'm some boxrec scholar. Because of course, boxrec doesn't show you everything about a fighter. But Chazz Witherspoon is 6'4" and weighs 230 lbs. And watching from the slow motion of the video, I would definitely testify that those punches that rocked Mitchell were indeed good power shots. Regardless of what he's considered as in the ranks of punching power.

Either way, Mitchell recovered beautifully. I think we're being critical of the guy's mistakes in the ring. He did an excellent job, and stopped a good, well-trained fighter inside of three rounds.

It was a neat fight to watch. When Witherspoon came out with the high guard and Mitchell started sticking the solid left to the midsection, I knew that Mitchell was going to end up taking him out. I doubted that original judgement after Witherspoon started hurting Seth, but in the end, it ended about right.

I think Witherspoon could be a lot better if he had a better stance. The high guard with the body open is simply all wrong for when you're fighting a smaller guy that likes to bang. The philly with the stick, move, and counter would have served him wonderfully in this fight. Too bad.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is entertaining but does not look natural, like they picked him from a american football game and manufactured him into boxing. Jess Willard of his day.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim the BoxingManiac View Post
    While Chazz Witherspoon might not be thought of as a big hitter, he's certainly not lacking in the power division. After all, all of Witherspoon's wins since 2008 have been stoppage victories. A sixty-six percent KO rate isn't too shabby either.

Not that I'm some boxrec scholar. Because of course, boxrec doesn't show you everything about a fighter. But Chazz Witherspoon is 6'4" and weighs 230 lbs. And watching from the slow motion of the video, I would definitely testify that those punches that rocked Mitchell were indeed good power shots. Regardless of what he's considered as in the ranks of punching power.

Either way, Mitchell recovered beautifully. I think we're being critical of the guy's mistakes in the ring. He did an excellent job, and stopped a good, well-trained fighter inside of three rounds.

It was a neat fight to watch. When Witherspoon came out with the high guard and Mitchell started sticking the solid left to the midsection, I knew that Mitchell was going to end up taking him out. I doubted that original judgement after Witherspoon started hurting Seth, but in the end, it ended about right.

I think Witherspoon could be a lot better if he had a better stance. The high guard with the body open is simply all wrong for when you're fighting a smaller guy that likes to bang. The philly with the stick, move, and counter would have served him wonderfully in this fight. Too bad.
    I'm waiting for some American I can tout as the next awesome, Mitchell isn't that for me, I don't know that he will be either. Sure he can be entertaining in the ring and that's a start. If he keeps progressing, I think he could be a force once the Klits retire, although if he doesn't progress he gets sparked out against some 40-something year old eastern Euro HW that's not named Klitschko.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

El Kabong Guest

Deontay Wilder is just 26 and has a frame he can build on, but I just don't know, he's so tall and lanky I just have trouble trusting he'll have a decent enough chin (although, get trained by Manny Steward and it won't end up being an issue).

I think Joe Hanks is the best all around boxer between Mitchell, Hanks, & Wilder.....he has solid power, he seems more fluid in the ring and I think he just looks more like a boxer the way he carries himself in the ring, he seems natural at what he does. Joe is already 29 and if he doesn't jump on it he's not going to progress quickly enough to make an impact on the division.

'Monk' Foreman is already 29 and at 15(14 KO)-0-0 I don't know what he's doing...he's fighting nobodies and I guess building up experience having not been an amateur.

There are some younger guys out there, but I have trouble believing these young guys like Alexander Flores 21 years of age will stay on the right path and build a great record & get title shots & win them.

The main problem for American heavyweights is the lack of a challenge out there for them. That AND their managers & promoters simply don't want to challenge their fighters and IMO that hurts the sport and their own fighters.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Deontay Wilder is just 26 and has a frame he can build on, but I just don't know, he's so tall and lanky I just have trouble trusting he'll have a decent enough chin (although, get trained by Manny Steward and it won't end up being an issue).

I think Joe Hanks is the best all around boxer between Mitchell, Hanks, & Wilder.....he has solid power, he seems more fluid in the ring and I think he just looks more like a boxer the way he carries himself in the ring, he seems natural at what he does. Joe is already 29 and if he doesn't jump on it he's not going to progress quickly enough to make an impact on the division.

'Monk' Foreman is already 29 and at 15(14 KO)-0-0 I don't know what he's doing...he's fighting nobodies and I guess building up experience having not been an amateur.

There are some younger guys out there, but I have trouble believing these young guys like Alexander Flores 21 years of age will stay on the right path and build a great record & get title shots & win them.

The main problem for American heavyweights is the lack of a challenge out there for them. That AND their managers & promoters simply don't want to challenge their fighters and IMO that hurts the sport and their own fighters.
    There needs to be a tournament for the next wave of American heavyweights. Mitchell could fight Wilder I mean why not, throw Hanks and Flores in there too. The biggest problem with American heavyweights is not that there aren't challenges out there, it's that they are being coddled by their managers. A perfect record is meaningless if there isn't any meaningful opponents on it, unfortunately the '0' has a premium on it as a selling point, which is stupid based on the competition levels. A fighter can fight tomato cans for 15 fights max after that it's a pointless marketing exercise that actually diminishes a fighters skills.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My thing with Deontay Wilder is that he has been moved sooo slowly. Seth Mitchell and Wilder turned professional around the same time. Yet, Mitchell is fighting much better competition. Wilder had a more developed amateur career too. It must be indicative of the fact his handlers don't have much faith in him, right?

Bryant Jennings has somewhat impressed me with his recent performances.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You really know though. I don't see Mitchell blowing down doors and suddenly finding great defense but you can't put a price on the experience of coming that close to the brink of disaster and having to storm back against a decent opponent on a major network stage. Respectfully to a Monk or maybe even a Wilder, he'll take more from those two rounds than they door steamrolling a handful of their padders and no hoper's unopposed. As stated numbers and glossy zeros in the 'L' column can be meaningless and turn you into a trivia question faster than you can say Courage Tshabalala.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Let's be honest with ourselves. We, as American boxing fans, are dying for a "Great American Hope," in the spirit of the "Great White Hope" of the past. The only difference is that we've moved passed the racial aspect of it. How did a fight like Mitchell v. Witherspoon get on HBO? Mitchell is a fun fighter to watch, but he's not even in the top ten of the division. Adamek versus Chambers is two top ten heavyweights and they're not making HBO $ in their fight.

As much as Al Haymon pushes him, Mitchell isn't going to beat a Klitschko, unless they slip something aweful. I like Mitchell. He seems a class act too.

Frankly, Witherspoon isn't even known as a puncher. Even though he is 29, Mitchell should take some time to hone his skills. He seems pretty 1 dimensional. Am I wrong?
    Chris Arreola is the best American Heavyweight. I don't think Mitchell wants to try him any time soon either.

Agree Mitchell is a nice guy though and he does bring it, action fighter.

I read somewhere that Michael Grant may be next for Mitchell. That'd be a good fight for him. Test him for sure.

Jameel McCline is on the comeback trail too, he also would be a good test.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He is entertaining but does not look natural, like they picked him from a american football game and manufactured him into boxing. Jess Willard of his day.
    I agree. He will never amount to anything. His defense is appalling and any of the top 6 will bust him up with regularity.

He is another of HBO's hype jobs. He's too long in the tooth to improve and he will get found out.

He is exciting, but only against limited opposition.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 05-01-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I come to the conclusion that defense generally must be taught to a boxer before their habits crystalize, i.e. the amaturs. I seldom see a boxer improve on their defense in a dramatic fashion when they turn pro.

Thread Information